Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Cuting Handholds  (Read 12323 times)

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
Cuting Handholds
« on: November 07, 2013, 09:04:22 am »
After reading anther post and hand holds were mention. I thought I'd open this up and share or hopefully learn something about making hand holds.

I didn't take time to make a jig but I did run across an interesting you tube video. I'll try to explain the method I used when I made my hand holds. Using a skill saw (circular hand saw) I tilted the blade around 15-20 degrees. Then with the deck not locked in place I got the depth. I marked a line on the board so the handles would be straight. Holding the front of the deck in place I lowered the blade cutting the desired depth. (saw always running) I bring the blade out as I push away from me. I keep doing this until I get what I need. Sometimes it's purty, sometimes it ain't. I'll post some pictures later on of the finished product. Any other suggestions?
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline JackM

• Field Bee
Re: Cuting Handholds
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2013, 09:19:08 am »
I partially amputated a finger doing that.  It is extremely dangerous.  If that saw gets hold of the wood it can really kick it into your hand and there will be nothing you can do to stop it.  I was fortunate, they were able to sew the end of my finger back on, but it is not the same as it was.
Jack of all trades
Master of none.

Moots

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2013, 09:36:41 am »
GSF,
Reading the description of your method made me CRINGE!  Reading JackM's reply validated my concerns...

I make mine with a Radial Arm saw per the technique described hereYoutube Video LINK!

Offline merince

• House Bee
    • Maria's Bees
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2013, 09:52:27 am »
There is a jig available to do it with a circular saw: Handhold Jig

Basically, you build ramps that you use to slide the saw on in order to cut the slope. I used it on the assembled box. As I mentioned before, I moved away from recessed handles and use outside handles. You can see my boxes on the before picture here: boxes with outside handles

The benefits of this type of handle are in lifting - when carrying a full box, the box handles rest on my forearms and distribute the weight. With the recessed handles, I have to lift and hold the whole box relying just on finger strength.

Offline DLMKA

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2013, 10:31:03 am »
http://corobcutters.com/4458covemoldingknife.aspx

http://corobcutters.com/mhk25moldingknifehead.aspx

I use the above cutters from Corob combined with a fixture clamped to my rip fence and table to cut hand holds on my tablesaw.  I have to make two cuts to get good finish with minimal tear-out.  The jig sets the limits to the ends so each hand hold is centered and the same length.  The top box is one of mine and the bottom is a Dadant commercial grade box.

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2013, 10:33:21 am »
I use a molding cutter in my tablesaw -> http://robo.bushkillfarms.com/building-honey-supers/

Also,  Jim Hensel was nice enough to share his plans for building a router jig -> http://robo.bushkillfarms.com/hensel-handle-sloping-pocket-handle-for-hive-boxes/

Here is an older thread with other options -> http://forum.beemaster.com/index.php/topic,27114.0.html
« Last Edit: November 08, 2013, 09:44:45 am by Robo »
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2013, 11:28:50 am »
I use a router with 3/4" bit, with router table.  Set your guide, depth, and mark or make a jig.

Joe

Offline Royall

• House Bee
  • Yes, snow in Hawaii
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2013, 12:18:34 pm »
There is a jig available to do it with a circular saw: Handhold Jig

That is the jig and method I was using on all my boxes until yesterday. When I started building boxes for my Beek, he asked for handles on all sides. The cutting 4 with this jig is very time consuming and a little scary. Good looking hand holds though. Now I'll just run a wide groove with the dado head on the TS. Looks good too.

Offline capt44

• Field Bee
  • If it don't work I'll always think it should have
    • RV BEES
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2013, 03:39:05 pm »
Here is a hand hold jig I use and it works perfect.
The best part is I still have all my fingers.
It is the safest way I've seen to make the hand holds on bee boxes.

Hive Handles using a drill press jig

I have made approximately 400 boxes at 4 handles to the box.
Richard Vardaman (capt44)

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2013, 09:37:42 pm »

this or the dado

Offline OldMech

• Queen Bee
    • The Outyard
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2013, 11:15:36 pm »
I also use the router.. I tried the skill saw... but am already missing a finger.. really sketchy trying to do it that way. then I tried the radial arm saw.. better, but still wasnt happy, I really dont like the undercut, I prefer it flat. Easier for my fingers to hold.... so I went to the router..  I made a jig for long and short sides when the box is assembled. It takes a total of about 20 seconds to do all four sides. I angle the router in, then work it around in a circle against the edges of the jig. Pop the jig off and do the next side. Its simpler than it sounds and takes less time to do than it took to type this.. and it looks NICE when done..  I get more comments on them than I do on my overkill frames.
39 Hives and growing.  Havent found the end of the comfort zone yet.

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2013, 06:30:29 am »
Here's a 28 second you tube video link to the method I used. Notice the clamps in the background of the wood. I don't see it much more dangerous than cutting a piece of wood.

Bee Hive Hand Holds - Easy!

Note, mine didn't turn out that good.

When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline OldMech

• Queen Bee
    • The Outyard
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2013, 06:19:17 pm »

Note, mine didn't turn out that good.

LOL, serviceable, and I doubt the bees care.. so long as they work!!!!

Offline capt44

• Field Bee
  • If it don't work I'll always think it should have
    • RV BEES
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2013, 11:33:12 am »

I prefer using the drill press to make hive handles over the dado.
It precise and fast.
It is the safest way I've seen to make them.
this or the dado
Richard Vardaman (capt44)

Offline OldMech

• Queen Bee
    • The Outyard
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2013, 09:00:05 pm »
Doing it the router way;

Simple jig made of scrap dropped over the box;

After zipping the router around inside the jig;

And ready for paint!!

Brood box, 8 frame swarm trap, and 5 frame nuc.. all mediums..   I dont cut handholds in the swam traps, and only do the sides of the nuc's..

Like I said above..  It takes less time to do it this way than it does to tell of it. with the jig, the router cant get out of control or out of where it needs to be. Pop the jig off, flip the box, zip the other side..  flip the box, swap jigs and do the ends.  Granted, this method does not undercut like the radial or skill saw does, but I prefer it that way. Quick, safe, and it works!   Not to mention Router bits are CHEAP compared to dado blades...

Offline Variable

• House Bee
    • Two Little Ladies Apiary Hive Data
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2013, 04:48:56 pm »
Here is a video I saw that may be helpful. May not loose any fingers this way as there is a jig to hold the work and the tool....

Making Handholds on Bee Boxes using a Circular Saw Safely
I want to beelieve.
WA Apiary ID WA14-077
8 medium hives. 5 Langstroth, 3 Nuc
See hive data at
http://twolittleladiesapiary.com/cms/node/6
https://www.facebook.com/twolittleladiesapiary

Offline Royall

• House Bee
  • Yes, snow in Hawaii
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2013, 07:10:14 pm »
That is the jig and method I've used in the past. Makes for a nice handhold. It is a bit slower than just running the board over the stacked dado head. Yes, can be dangerous but so can cutting them with the method shown in the video. Just have to take your time and concentrate on what you are doing. I've been know to put a sign on the shop door, "don't enter when you hear machinery running" Less distractions that way.

Offline Blacksheep

• House Bee
  • william e smith
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2013, 10:07:16 pm »
I have made the jig for the circular saw but haven't tried it as yet!I did make my hand holds in my boxes with the Table saw and dadao blade set at 3/4 inches wide.I marked the center of the boxes at ling side and short side and set the fence at the hiegth I wanted the handles on the box and clamped a block on the saw table to hold the box steady and while the blade was running I lower the box on a angle with the end of the box against the stop and the dado cut a perfect handle.My hands are no where near the blades.My boxes are complete and cut the handles last.So lot of  hand hold places away fron the blade.
Yes I almost lost the left thumb a few weeks ago ripping small stuff for the  botton boards.The thumb is now dead from the  last joint to the nail.It was sewn back on but no feeling in the end so be careful.
that is the reason I like cutting them after the box is finished.Makes a nice handle.I might put on a couple of handles  to extend the grip on the deep 10 frame boxes I think the supers will work fine with the dado cut in handle.

anything