Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Greetings from Detroit  (Read 2743 times)

Offline mike

• New Bee
Greetings from Detroit
« on: January 20, 2016, 04:16:04 pm »
Hello, my name is Mike. I'm new to the forum (and beekeeping in general). I live in a residential area of Metro Detroit and I'm preparing for my first season with bees this spring. I've ordered two packages of Carniolan honey bees and now I'm in the process of selecting the equipment and type of hives to purchase for the colonies. I've been going back and forth between Warre and Langstroth, currently leaning toward Langstroth. As a soon-to-be beekeeper I aspire to keep my interactions with the bees as natural and non-invasive as possible. If anyone has any hive recommendations or tips for the first season that they'd like to offer I'd love to hear them!

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: Greetings from Detroit
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2016, 04:21:49 pm »
First 2 or 3 years, langstroth 10 frame. After that, diversify as you want. You can get help easier with them, and dispose of them easier if you decide they are not what you want
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline mike

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2016, 04:25:50 pm »
First 2 or 3 years, langstroth 10 frame. After that, diversify as you want. You can get help easier with them, and dispose of them easier if you decide they are not what you want

Thanks the input, I've read this elsewhere too...

Offline Costa

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2016, 05:23:47 pm »
Welcome mike!

I'm a newbie too.. An exciting adventure awaits. Best of luck with the gear prep

Offline mikecva

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2016, 06:15:52 pm »
I use 10 frame mediums for the brood and super boxes. I like that size because of the weight of the full size boxes and my bad back. I also suggest changing your profile to include your city and state so we can better help you when you ask questions.  -Mike
Listen to others but make your own decisions. That way you own the results.
Please remember to read labels.

Offline cao

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2016, 08:53:45 pm »
I would start with a langstroth hive.  Since you are starting with packages, it doesn't matter what size(deep or medium) or # of frames(8 or 10).  If there is a bee club near you or someone to mentor you, I would seek there advice.  That being said, many of use have used this and other forums as their mentor.  I think that the trend has been to use all medium boxes.  This makes it easier to swap frames around.  Also, a lot of beeks are using 8 frame boxes.  This reduces the weight of the boxes.  I can see definite advantages in doing it that way.  With that being said, I use deeps, mediums and shallows without much problems.  The biggest problem I have is having enough equipment of any size(17 hives).  I would like to double that this year.  I use 10 frame boxes and 5 frame nucs.  This winter I'm building some 8 frame equipment to try next spring.  Whatever you choose have plenty of it. :wink: 

Offline mike

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2016, 12:55:47 pm »
Thanks for the info everyone!

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2016, 01:46:10 pm »
Welcome to Beemaster.
I recommend 8 frame mediums for brood and supers.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2016, 02:25:56 pm »
If you go with eight frame mediums and foundationless frames you can get the best of both worlds...  A smaller box that fits the cluster, easier to lift, natural comb, a standard equipment that has been around for 150 years...

http://www.bushfarms.com/beesoptions.htm
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline mike

• New Bee
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2016, 03:08:32 pm »
If you go with eight frame mediums and foundationless frames you can get the best of both worlds...  A smaller box that fits the cluster, easier to lift, natural comb, a standard equipment that has been around for 150 years...

http://www.bushfarms.com/beesoptions.htm

Michael, I just requested your book through my local library. Seems like a great resource based on the Amazon reviews. Thanks for your comment!

Offline KeyLargoBees

• Field Bee
    • Pirate Hat Apiary
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2016, 08:16:52 am »
Welcome Mike!
Jeff Wingate

Changes in Latitudes...Changes in Attitudes....are Florida Keys bees more laid back than the rest of the country...only time will tell!!!
piratehatapiary@gmail.com https://www.facebook.com/piratehatapiary

Offline Idaho Beek

• New Bee
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2016, 09:35:21 pm »
Welcome Mike. I second the thoughts of the Langstroth. More common and easy to get things for. I have a son that lives in Sterling Heights. He is in his residency at a Detroit Hospital. He is going into surgery. He has expressed interest in getting some beehives. Not sure if he wants them there or when he comes back to Idaho in 4.5 years. Good luck with your bees.
If you always do what you've always done then you will always get what you always got.

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2016, 06:27:38 am »
Welcome
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

anything