Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Craigslist reply  (Read 3988 times)

Offline specialkayme

• Field Bee
Craigslist reply
« on: April 22, 2012, 01:05:40 pm »
I keep an add going on Craigslist for free swarm removal, or cut out removal for a fee. Most of the inquiries I get are from people that have already gotten a quote from an exterminator or from someone who does removals for a living, but they are hoping I will do it for half the price or for free.

Recently I got a reply that stated:

"Would you be willing to relocate the swarm to *(a location 30 min away from where I live)*? What kind of set up would we need?"

I don't really know how to respond. What swarm? Where is the swarm located? Why do you want to relocate it? Are you looking to get into beekeeping and need help? Are you expecting me to pick them up, drive them 30 min so you can have bees, then leave, for free?

Because it's craigslist, I'm of two minds about it:
1. They could just be looking for a fool to come pick up the swarm for them, then sell it later.
2. They could be looking to get into beekeeping because their friend found a swarm, but don't know what to do.

I'd like to help someone else get into this hobby if interested, but I'm not really interested in losing an afternoon to do it.

Thoughts?

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Craigslist reply
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2012, 01:26:56 pm »
communicate with them and ask for clarification.  if it was a swarm, chances are it's gone by now or will be by the time you get there.

ask them to send pictures of what they are taking about.  probably 1/2 the swarm calls i get are not swarms but structures or trees.  people don't know the difference.

you lose nothing by asking for more info.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2012, 01:35:42 pm »
I agree with kathy, most people don't know the difference between a swarm and a colony in a wall or tree. In addition most people believe that "free bees" is enough payment for removing them from the second story of their home.

Steve 
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2012, 02:12:05 pm »
I would ask them for a phone number and call them.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline specialkayme

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2012, 02:54:33 pm »
I asked where the swarm was and why they wanted to move it. I havn't gotten a reply, so I'm assuming they are no longer interested. I gave a phone number to call, but they didn't.

I got another reply that said "I've got bees in my chimney. Do you want them?" I'm assuming they are trying to see if they can get me to come out, climb on their roof, pull out the bees, and take them home for free. Not really interested in that :D

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2012, 10:20:46 pm »
Don't forget about the people that want you to come get their wasp nest for your hive.   :-D

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2012, 01:38:36 am »
I got a swarm call last year at the Ford dealership. When I got there the fella that called me asked if I would sell him the swarm after I got them in a box. I was on my way home from work and had zero equipment with me. Made a catch box out of a cardboard oil box and put some screen wire in it for ventilation (did have that on the truck). Scooped them up and put them in the box for him, said he owed me fifty bucks. After I got to thinking about it, that was too cheap, a three pound package with queen is around 90 bucks!  Oh well maybe next time.
those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your keister is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!

Offline tefer2

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2012, 10:34:18 am »
You will find that most people don't know the difference between a wasp nest and honeybees. I like to talk to them on the phone before wasting gas and time. I still have a third turn out to be jackets.

Offline greenbtree

• Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2012, 12:32:09 am »
A tip that is helping me a bit in the yellow jacket/honeybee bit is that I tell them to hang a sticky fly strip as close to the flight path as they are brave enough to do.  Once they catch one ore two they can take it and look close.  I tell them that if there is bright yellow on the face or antenna anywhere that they are yellow jackets.  It has saved me a few trips.

JC
"Rise again, rise again - though your heart it be broken, or life about to end.  No matter what you've lost, be it a home, a love, a friend, like the Mary Ellen Carter rise again!"

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2012, 06:08:07 am »
I always ask if they are fuzzy (bees of some type) or hard shelled (wasp of some type).

A few pics in the email is very handy also.
those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your keister is a catchin!!!

Offline jredburn

• House Bee
    • Poorboybees
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2012, 07:23:09 pm »
If you list your services for nothing, people will think that is what you are worth. 
Why would you invest your time, equipment and gas to do something people will pay for?
I can see hardship cases and I have done a few but I list swarm removal as starting at $50.  This keeps people from asking "How much will you give me for my bees?"  and "I have this swarm in my house on the third floor and they are also in the bottom living room.  Can you come get them today for free?"   Then they get hostile when you want to charge them.
It is better to start high and come down than it is to try to go up in price.
Regards
Joe

Offline specialkayme

• Field Bee
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2012, 08:25:49 am »
If you list your services for nothing, people will think that is what you are worth. 
Why would you invest your time, equipment and gas to do something people will pay for?

I think the better question should by why would you charge something when someone else is willing to do it for free?

I enjoy it. I don't have a problem doing free swarm calls. It gets my name out there and then maybe next time they will call me when they have a second swarm, or a cut out. Who knows.

But there is a trade off. If you charge for swarm removals, you are likely to get some individuals that are demanding. They will want you to come out and remove the swarm, right now. And if they come back, that's your fault. If they are having a picnic and they want to continue, you aren't moving fast enough. Meanwhile, when I do it for free you can either take my services or leave them. If you ask for me to pay you for the bees, I say no thank you and walk away. If you want me to do a cut-out for free, I say no thank you and walk away. I feel I have a greater flexibility in expectations. Just a different view though.

It is better to start high and come down than it is to try to go up in price.

Henry Ford would say otherwise :D

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2012, 10:00:14 am »

Henry Ford would say otherwise :D

I don't think Henry was a B man, he was more of a T and A man

get your mind out of the gutter............model T and model A Ford  :-D

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2012, 10:28:26 am »
i don't know anyone who charges for swarm removal.  never had a problem with the people.  they are glad to have the bees gone.  if i did have a problem, i would just walk.

Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

anything