I think they are a bit over priced, but I understand - it's not easy work
10 (31.3%)
I think prices are out of control but service is good
3 (9.4%)
I think prices are out of control and service stinks
2 (6.3%)
There is no way that they can justify the cost of their bees
1 (3.1%)
I'd rather keep my bees indoors all Winter than pay $72 for packaged bees again!
2 (6.3%)
I've never bought packaged bees
4 (12.5%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: HOW MUCH DID YOU PAY FOR YOUR BEES?  (Read 25288 times)

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
HOW MUCH DID YOU PAY FOR YOUR BEES?
« on: April 28, 2004, 02:01:10 pm »
It's been a while since I have had to buy bees and I had a case of STICKER SHOCK when I got the price of $72 for 3 pound packages with queen. That includes $9.33 a package shipping. Personally, I think I got ripped off - So that comes out to roughly $61 for the bees and queen, not marked or clipped, this supplier said he couldn't do either marking or clipping - he was "TOO SMALL" to do such things - well, his prices aren't too small, especially when he CAN NOT even offer such services as marking or clipping.

How much did you pay for your bees?

John
Beemaster
NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Anonymous

« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2004, 03:48:00 pm »
John WHEW.
I am getting two 3 pound packages with queens for $93.00. they are coming from some place south and I will have to drive close to a hundred miles to pick them up at the bee supply place. It is Georbs in Onstead Michigan.
 :D Al

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
Question Al
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2004, 03:55:02 pm »
If they need to be shipped, why weren't they shipped to you? Couldn't the supplier in Mich. just take their cut and send you them right to your door???

I know I paid too much, but at least they came to me, I didn't have to drive to NYC or Phia. (both about 70 miles) to pick them up. Get them home and love them, these little girls must be gold plated these days - although I looked and must have missed the gold - lol.

John

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline Joe

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2004, 03:57:53 pm »
I paid $85.00 for three pounds of Russian hybrids.  That cost included the shipping.

Joe

Offline forrestmk

• New Bee
Prices on Bees
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2004, 04:22:25 pm »
Beemaster, I think you got a good fair price in todays market. Not that I agree with it, it seem only 5 years ago when I got started I first paid 45.00
for a three pound package. Like last year I had a bad winter and had to replace 4 hives with new bees. For the hobbiest to put out $300.00 it will take 100lbs of honey to recover that pay out, not to count all the work and time involved. This is not a cheap hobby to be involved in. The intial lay out for bees and hive bodies isn't that much but it all adds up. I started 5 years ago and have spent near $2300.00 for all the equipment I have. I've given away more honey then I have sold. But I enjoy the bees very much, just wanted to warn some people out there that may have dreams of making lots of money with little money layout. Maybe if you live in an area that you can get 300lbs. honey per hive it can work, but in a residental area where I live there is not that kind of Honey flow. I'll be quite happy with 100lbs. per hive. Just my opion, Thanks

Mark

Offline mattoleriver

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2004, 07:34:28 pm »
I'm just starting out this year and I wanted to increase my odds of having surplus honey so I ordered a complete hive way back in October.  After reading how much of an advantage there is to having two hives I decided to order a 3# package also.  Just about the time these were to become available I heard of a good price on another hive so I bought one of those also.  I now have two single box hives and a 3# package.  The first hive and the package came from the local bee supply store and the second hive came from a local pollinator.  I was lucky enough to not have any shipping costs.
The first hive that I bought included nine frames of bees, brood, and stores and a new queen.  This hive had been used (I think) to pollinate almonds and was then being culled by the seller.  The box was boiling over with beautiful bees.  The woodenware included a solid bottom, a deep hive body, nine frames, and a migratory cover.  The frames are in good shape but the rest was pretty well used up---that's why it was being culled!  The seller included a new migratory cover which I returned for credit.  The price was $125.  I thought it was high but not outrageous.
The 3# package was beautiful.  I am certain that there was well over 3# of bees and very few dead ones in the cage.  The price was $39 plus a $2 cage deposit.
The second full hive that I bought has almost exactly the same history as the first except it came from a different pollinator.  It more closely resembled a five frame nuc installed in a deep box.  There was a new queen, five frames of bees, brood, and stores and three frames of partially drawn foundation.  It also included a plastic frame feeder.  The woodenware included a solid bottom, a deep hive body, eight frames, and a migratory cover.  The frames and the hive body were good but the rest wasn't worth much.  There were fewer bees than in the first hive but still a good amount.   The price for this hive was $48.  The same seller had nucs for $38.  I don't recall if the nucs had four frames and a feeder or if they had five frames and a feeder.  The nuc box and feeder had to be returned to the seller.
I am not planning on using deep hive bodies so all of the woodeware that came with the hives is going to be stored away.  I've already changed tops and bottoms and may swap out the deep hive bodies next spring.  The woodenware will be used to hold swarms, give to friends to start beekeeping, etc.
George

Offline Markinaust

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2004, 08:39:28 pm »
Hi Ppls

WHAT.. dumb founded at the price you guys hae to pay for bees..
We pay as much as for fully operational hives..

I guess that the SHB has had an impact on the prices you have to pay.. We (Autralian beekeepers) exported bees to the USA till just recantly I guess it is good old supply and demand at work.

Cheers for now

Mark

Anonymous

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2004, 09:29:42 pm »
I paid $78 for 3 lbs., which included $20 for shipping charges and $2 to mark the queen.  It was drop-shipped from Georgia, which upset me a bit because the company I ordered them from led me to believe from their website that they shipped right from their location, which was close enough to be only one or two days delivery.  And the supplier didn't ship as soon as I had ordered them for.  As it turned out, though, they shipped Priority mail and it arrived in three days.  I only counted 3 dozen dead bees in the package, which surprised me, really.

Kris

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2004, 10:15:34 pm »
Sounds like my price is about average when weighing shipping or pickup prices - what a terrible price to pay for bees.

UPDATE: It warmed up toward the end of today, the wind even died down some - but I decided to do the install tomorrow when they are calling for 75 degrees, sunny and little wind!

Plus Tracey will be home and she can be my photographer which beats me rearranging the tripod all the time.

John
Beemaster

Offline Rand

• New Bee
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2004, 12:33:33 am »
I bought two 3lb. packages & paid $45/ea + tax came to about $97 for all including the queens. But after I counted them all I found that in one 3 lb. package there were 4109 bees and in the other there were only 4104 bees! Now that comes to about 1.1 cents per bee and I'm wondering if I should ask for 5 replacement bees or if I should just eat the loss?

Back to that again...

But really folks the $97 was the actual price for two 3lb. packages with queens. The bee supplier here sends his big flatbed truck to CA to pick up all his packages and doesn't charge us for the shipping or anything to do with their transport. Pretty nice guy. The only drawback, if you want to call it that, is he only gets Italians & Carniolans. Italians are fine with me.

Areviderci

:lol:
Rand Carrothers

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
Rand, you are warped
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2004, 12:46:39 am »
Rand, you are a bit warped, but to quote one of my favorite movies (Galaxy Quest) "Maybe you are the quirky comic relief!" and I like quirky  :lol:

Bet I got one on you though - I licked a swarm once on a $10 bet  :shock:  True story -  the swarm in the photo below - didn't get stung either, but I was a little buzzed my self that day :roll:  No more Goldschlager and percocet Jelloshots for me  :oops:  (joking - yeah.... that's the ticket)

John
Beemaster

Anonymous

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2004, 11:03:54 am »
John, I keep hearing there is some thing to do with the local Michigan post offices not wanting to deal with bees is why i have to drive to pick them up. I am also thank ful to even be able to find some here in Michigan as late as it got to bee. I had called well over 30 places and kept being told, they had none to seel did I try so and so. My last recourse was to drive to kentucky to pick up bees that they had but as i said would'nt ship PP.
 :D Al

Offline snowzerdog

• House Bee
bee prices
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2004, 11:44:00 am »
All of you who have gotten their bees Congratulations.  I'm still waiting.  Like I said in another post I'm getting mine from alocal beekeeper who is down in Mississippi inspecting and installing the bees in nucs.  $40.00 a nuc + 5.00 deposit on the nuc itself.  5 frames, no exchange on the frames.   But they won't be here now until the 2nd week of may.  But with the weather being up and down in temps 80's yesterday 40's the day before  and mid fiftys today it's better to wait.   Shame as all the popler and maples are getting leaves.  Some flowers are blooming and my bees will miss it.  :(
God doesn't owe you anything, but you owe everything to God!

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
Beelivery
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2004, 12:21:08 pm »
Al:

I think I'd write the Post Master General on that on - seriously. Bees have been delivered for decades by general mail and there is no reason that any individual post offic can decide what they will and will not process.

I know you enjoy writing letters and this one is really important - if one office can do this, then others will get wind and want the same priviledges and next think you know they are RIGHTS! That could ruin it for every one.

If you don't want to write them, let me! I'd have fun with this one!!

SNOZERDOG, shame on the middle of May - what a terrible start to a short season. I'm walking out the door right nw to install the bees. It's a much nicer day, almost 70F outside and sunny. Plus, Ladybee is home today to be my photographer and helper.

Talk to you all soon! I get to finally play Beekeeper again :)

John

Tazimna

bee prices
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2004, 02:46:42 pm »
I guess we're lucky in our area. Our "local" club received our bees from texas last nite. We paid $35 for a 4 frame nuc. Last year was same price. Seller did say he'd probably be $5 higher next year. Stll a bargain. Steve

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
Great deal
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2004, 03:16:02 pm »
Taz

I love the idea of Nucs and ESPECIALLY CLUBS that can get or create NUCS for their membership at a great price. I build them for family and friends (even coworkers - who I tend to keep friendly relation
I hope you like this forum, you are welcome anytime whether as a guest or if you register, humbly but with great pride - I believe this is the best darned Beekeeping forum on the Internet all thanks to a terrifically diverse and active membership. The photos I see here every day blow me away - the members are out in their bee yards interacting almost daily with their bees and that is wonderful to see.

I hope you let your club know about the forum and feel free to use our Forum for your own interactions or to interact with the members and guests here - plenty of room for everyone from everywhere here!

John
Beemaster

Offline Archie

• House Bee
buying bees
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2004, 05:59:38 pm »
I ordered two 3 pound pakages of Italian bees for $53.00 each and two 5 frame nukes of Carniolan bees for $59.00 plus $15.00 deposit for each of the nucs from our area bee supply store..  I ordered on February 24 and still have not receaved them. Hopefully on the 15th of May.  It seems that there has been a lot of rain in Georga and the bees are not up to the proper strength for collecting and shipping.  

Next year if I have to buy more bees I will start shopping a little.

Archie :roll:
Honey, Vermont sunshine in a bottle.

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
bummer
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2004, 06:11:02 pm »
Archie (look for a private message I sent you)

Shame about the bees STILL not being there, what a mess. Mine were delayed, but nothing like yours - I hope it all works out ok. Mid May, wow - that's a tough time to get started but SEVERAL OTHER MEMBERS are saying they are getting theirs around the same time.

Your bees will have to do double-overtime to make viable Wintering in Vermont - I can only say FEED THEM SUGAR-WATER for at least a month, although you are dealing with NUCS TOO, I still say it is very important to have substantial energy around a hive especially that late into Spring.

The prices you quote seem great, now if only they can deliver the product!

Keep us all posted on everything.

John
Beemaster

Offline Martha Beemom

• New Bee
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2004, 08:20:44 pm »
I didn't buy a package of bees. I bought 6 frames of brood, 2 queens and 2 frames of honey for $120. And it was put into my hives. I took the hives to them, then took out my fresh frames and exchanged for the full ones. Then I went and picked them up.

I had heard about bees from the south being so full of mites and some of them carrying a few SHBs with them as well. I wasn't sure where my local supplier was getting their bees - I had heard the south.

So $60 a hive. Not a bad deal.

Martha

Offline Blackbird

• House Bee
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2004, 02:05:38 am »
After reading all your posts I don't know if I got a good deal, average or ripped off.  :?  I got a 4# package for $57. 00. then I paid $8/ frame for six frames of brood, honey and drawn comb for a total of $108.00. There were also some bees covering the brood and other frames that weren't from the package. I guess if I'm off to a good start I shouldn't complain too much!
Stacie

anything