Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: middle georgia update  (Read 4023 times)

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
middle georgia update
« on: February 25, 2014, 10:14:44 am »
anyone close by or in a similar area might be interested.  i went through a few brood nests yesterday and all of them had a frame or two of solid pollen and they also had 5 to 6 frames of capped and emerging brood. 
if you haven't checked your hives and thought that the cold might have set the build up back a little you may want to get into them asap.  after this weeks cold snap i'm expanding brood nests in a few hives.

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
Re: middle georgia update
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2014, 10:28:53 am »
Thanks Framer plan on checking toady before the temps dip again for the next few days.
John 3:16

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2014, 10:33:50 am »
ray,
i was going to try to catch up with you some time this week.  i had an idea i wanted to bounce off of you and i can't remember it now (i need to start writing stuff down).  when it comes back to me i'll call or text.  glad you've survived the crazy weather.

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2014, 11:21:19 am »
10 framer I am flattered but you have me confused with Ray (RHBee) in the Monks Corner SC area. I am a little North of Ray. I knew when you said welcome back had not seen me in a while I thought "Moi". I am not that loved  :lau: But I love you too man  :-* :evil: I also have not heard from Ray in a while. Dropped him a Pm a couple days ago and no answer.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 11:42:54 am by sc-bee »

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2014, 12:19:05 pm »
you're absolutely right.  but it's ok, i still love you too man. 

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2014, 12:41:36 pm »
The last pm I got from Ray he was working 12 hour shifts and I don't think he was getting too many days off. I was planning to dive into my hive today. The temp was supposed to be close to 70 but they can't seem to get out of the 40's yet.

I looked this morning and my blueberry bushes are budding. Mid to upper 20s for the lows a couple nights this week. I haven't checked on the blackberries yet. Just stopped long enough this morning to drink a red bull. This DIY remodeling an early 50s home (for the second time)  is fixing to put me in the nervous hospital. (slingblade)

Rob thanks for the heads up. When you say "expanding" brood nest what do you mean? My brood nest are two 8 frame deeps. they have a medium on top they can still draw out.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2014, 01:14:06 pm »
gary, just have a biscuit and some mustard and relax.  
i went into winter in single deeps for the most part so i'll be adding a second deep (below the existing one) on the hives that are basically full.
i should add that i still haven't seen any drones and only a half a dozen capped drone cells here and there.  
i fed 1:1 sugar water an our before dark and will probably keep doing it until i see clover blooming.  at that point i'll decide which hives will be production hives and which hives will be split into nucs and go to work.  

Offline RC

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2014, 01:53:45 pm »
I'm a little south of you folks, but I've already found swarm cells in 3 out of 4 hives last Saturday.
Plenty of drones and pollen,also. I am having to feed sugar water, though.

Offline chux

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2014, 02:08:09 pm »
I really need to get into my hives, but have been hesitant with the cold nights coming. Looking at the landing board yesterday, I saw a drone that was recently hatched, laying on his back kicking his legs. He was fully formed. Still had that dusty, new bee look. Dying out there. I wonder if the girls let him hatch and then kicked him out??? Maybe the cold got to him on the front porch.

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2014, 03:30:45 pm »
rc, it seems like the beekeepers on the coast were reporting swarms this time last year. 
i had drones in january last year but overall i think i have much stronger hives than i did this time last year, but i was starting back up with hives i bought in the fall and nucs i bought in the winter.  2/3 of what i have are last year's splits and half of those were made in august. 
i'm going to say that i've got better queens (i'll pat myself on the back) along with local genetics improving things because this has been a much tougher winter.
chux, you guys have had it a little worse in the carolinas than i have this winter but it has been the coldest winter i remember in about 10 or 15 years.

Offline sweet bee

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2014, 04:56:39 pm »
Is it too early to do splits?

~Angie
When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would
not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, "I used everything You gave me"

~Erma Bombeck

Offline RC

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2014, 05:25:38 pm »
10framer  - I was talking to a guy at lunch that said he's already had two swarms.I had one last year during the last week of Febuary, so it's about time. My bees are building up like crazy, so I think I'll have to split some more soon.

sweet bee  - I'm not far from you and I made 3 splits Saturday from hives with swarm cells. If yours are ready, you may want to split them before they split thenselves.

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2014, 06:43:12 pm »

~Angie

All depends on location. No drones or not alot of capped drones. No need to split.

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2014, 06:53:52 pm »
SC Lower Piedmont

I had the most losses this year I have had since I started 10 years ago. Of course I am just hobby and keep usually around 7-10 hives. I went into the winter with about 12 and have 7 left. Over the past five years I could practically count my five year total losses on one hand, maybe plus two fingers.

I checked the few I have left today. Some look good some look sad. I do not feed as I leave plenty of honey on them. I am beginning to believe that not feeding is a mistake. They seem to enter a preservation mode with the capped honey just hang out and not expand. Most all had 75% of the shallow super I left them. One needs feed. Most have about three good frames of bees and about two frames of brood coming on. I was surprised all are queen right. I saw very little capped drone brood and no drones. We have had a very cold winter compared to my other beekeeping years and I think the weather has them held back.

Last year I had swarms in mid to late March. Don't think it will happen this year.  Usually is first week of April

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2014, 08:29:09 pm »
I didn't go into the hive today. It barely made it to 55. Bees just hanging out on the porch watching the world go by. I saw some blackberry with new growth. I put out 4 more swarm traps today.

Thanks Rob, I'll just take an 'ol cold tater and wait - until Sunday, weather permitting.

Sugar water = sugar ants. Even tho I fed away from the hive the sugar ants had them a trail into the hive yesterday. I filled up the little containers under the legs and went to brushing off ants. The girls were ticked and tried to take it out on me. Whenever I was making a round close to the hive I would go and smush some more ants. By this afternoon most of the ants were gone and the girls were more docile.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2014, 08:32:43 pm »

~Angie

it's too early for me.

Offline RHBee

• Queen Bee
  • That's my pooch.
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2014, 01:24:28 am »
Sorry I've been out of touch. I haven't even been able to get any where near my colonies. Lots of other stuff getting in the way. I'm planning to do inspections Thursday and Friday. Hopefully the weather will cooperate. I'll post my findings. I have been in touch with the people who let me keep hives on their property. They report lots of activity.

Sometimes life just gets in the way of beekeeping. :(
Later,
Ray

Offline ziffabeek

• House Bee
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2014, 09:38:24 am »
Sometimes life just gets in the way of beekeeping. Sad

Ain't it the truth?  I feel your pain!

love,
ziffa

Offline MsCarol

• House Bee
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2014, 05:44:25 pm »
Southern Middle TN. Checked my two hives a week ago when it was nice and warm. Found eggs in the larger hive but no capped brood yet. Had a distraction (phone call) mid inspection. I couldn't see any eggs in the smaller hive which are ferals. Both hives bringing in pollen any day they can fly. Both seem to have stores of honey yet plus I had given dry sugar early winter on top inner cover.

Plan to check again next week if we get a warm day with it not raining.

I did paint my new boxes this last weekend. I detest painting but they look good so made me feel like I accomplished something. Hoping to expand to four hives this year by catching swarms from the parent hives of these.

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2014, 11:02:06 am »
big orientation flights yesterday.  i finally went through my strongest hive's brood chamber.  a lot of drone larvae and a lot of capped worker brood.  this hive is a deep and 2 mediums and full of bees already.  i'll be adding a second deep with half dawn comb and half foundation the is week.  in the last week or ten days they have wiped out about 3/4 of a medium of honey i left last year.  i'll be feeding all the hives this evening.  lots of pollen coming in.  the bees seem to think this is going to be a good year.  worst case i'll be making a lot of strong splits but it sure would be nice to bring in a little honey this year.