Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Bees and Queen from Pigeon Mountain Trading Company??  (Read 4561 times)

Offline patriotgirlie

• New Bee
Bees and Queen from Pigeon Mountain Trading Company??
« on: February 17, 2013, 02:03:33 pm »
I am having trouble finding sites to order bees online and have them shipped.  I see that they are for sale on Pigeon Mountain Trading Company, and I was wondering if this is a good site to order from.  Is there a better one?  Any advice?  Thanks!!!

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
Re: Bees and Queen from Pigeon Mountain Trading Company??
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2013, 03:00:30 pm »
Aren't you up north? (filling your location in your profile would help) Most (not all by a long shot) northern beeks prefer to buy northern bees in that they may be acclimated to northern weather.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Vance G

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2013, 04:37:35 pm »
Kellybees.com is a long time highly reputable supplier of bees and equipment.  I don't use them because the shipping would kill me but you never hear a bad word about their products and you hear good things about their bees.  Ya know, Danno is from your general vicinity.  You should PM him and ask where he gets his bees and supplies.  Maybe he would sell you bees if he has extras or know someone local who does.  THe advice that comes from the closest to your bee yard is usually preferable to someone far away and danno has a good head. 
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 05:05:35 pm by Vance G »

Offline patriotgirlie

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2013, 05:47:44 pm »
Thank you both for your input.  I've been looking at Spille Honey as well...they are closer to my area and have Russians (which I was looking for)!

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2013, 09:28:29 pm »
Check to see if there is a local bee club, you may fine someone there with what you want.  Or they can recomend someone local.

Joe

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2013, 02:34:49 pm »
I would definitely recommend looks elsewhere and not buying from pigeon mountain if at all possible.   My experience is they have very poor communications and customer service.   You can read about my dealings with them here -> http://forum.beemaster.com/index.php/topic,38217.msg325573.html#msg325573
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Grey33

• Brood
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2014, 10:01:30 pm »
I was having trouble finding bees last year so I ordered from pigeon mountain trading company. Never received bees. No money back. Lack of communication. I should have read the reviews on Yelp and YP (yellow pages) and talked to other beekeepers first as I now know there have been a lot of people burned by this company. Heck, I would buy bees in a bag at a MacDonald's drive through before I would try these folks again.

Offline sterling

• Queen Bee
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2014, 11:14:59 pm »
I have never bought bees from PMt but I know people who do and I have never herd any of them complain. And their bees seem to do good. I think UPS lost a bunch of packages on an airplane for them last year.

Offline Better.to.Bee.than.not

• Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2014, 04:34:19 am »
I have never bought from them, but there is no excuse for non delivery and yet no money back, imo. If UPS or whomever lost their shipment then they should of been reimbursed, as they are the shipper.... it seems really insane for them to of gotten reimbursed via insurance, still got paid by the customer as well, thus making double and still not delivering product or giving that customer a refund.

Offline sterling

• Queen Bee
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2014, 11:09:13 pm »
One guy I know was given a package this year by Pigeon Mt. to replace the one that was lost on the plane by UPS.

Offline Better.to.Bee.than.not

• Field Bee
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2014, 04:43:52 am »
ya, but you said the incident on the plane happened last year...and now say this year they gave them a free package. That seems like a excessive amount of time to me, and as I said, they take a package of bees, and they sell it and make a profit. that is business, and ok whatever. then the package gets lost and they file and receive a claim presumably, for what it is worth, which includes their profit...so it is costing them one package of bees, and they make profit off the customer, and a total profit again with the claim.   and when do they make good, the next year, after their bees do the work and they just have the basic expense again? seems wrong to me.