Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: How far North are small hive beetles  (Read 9325 times)

Offline T Beek

• Super Bee
Re: How far North are small hive beetles
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2013, 09:26:39 am »
I've seen only 'one' up here. 

It came with a queen purchased from Texas.  I don't think it made it  8-)
"Trust those who seek the truth, doubt those who say they've found it."

Offline lazy shooter

• House Bee
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2013, 09:47:57 am »
Is there some kind of poison that you could put in the ground under your hives that would kill them?

Offline T Beek

• Super Bee
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2013, 10:04:49 am »
Cold and snow........Sorry. :-D

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2013, 12:15:40 pm »
Is there some kind of poison that you could put in the ground under your hives that would kill them?

Yeah and every bee that walked on the ground. If you were treating the soil and washed it into the ground might not bee so bad.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2013, 12:19:53 pm »
>Is there some kind of poison that you could put in the ground under your hives that would kill them?

Back in the 70s every beekeeper I knew would lecture you on how pesticides are not the solution... but then beekeepers mostly bought into pesticides when the mites showed up, and proved that their lectures on the "treadmill" were correct... yet...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline sticbow

• New Bee
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2013, 12:58:11 am »
Southwest Wisconsin. :cheer:  Noticed them in early summer this past year. :shock:  May have come from an out of state package.   Loaded the hives with traps.:jail:  Caught a few, :catchchick: but squashed many with the hive tool for a couple weeks. :chop: I think the bees took care of them because I haven't seen any since then. :jerry:   

Offline T Beek

• Super Bee
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2013, 09:14:13 am »
Let us know if you see any this Spring. 

With our mild winters I suppose its just a matter of time, but so far I'm pleased with the trade offs us Northerners have with Southerners, like NO BUGS (including SHB) for up to 6 or 7 months, little traffic, except on weekends and lots less people  :-D

Offline rwurster

• House Bee
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2013, 02:27:32 am »
None here in southern colorado.
Zone 5a @ 4700 ft. High Desert
Facebook Link

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2013, 09:26:10 am »
In the winter of 2011-12 or the lack of I should say. We had little snow and no frost in the ground.  I suspect that set some of them up to over winter in the ground.  This made the summer of 2012 the worst I have seen but it still didn't hold a candle to you southern guys.  I killed a bunch in my honey house and saw many more hiding under covers then usual.  Never had a colony taken over.   This year is still above average temps but we have frost. 

Offline capt44

• Field Bee
  • If it don't work I'll always think it should have
    • RV BEES
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2013, 12:32:09 am »
We have SHB bad here in Arkansas.
I've used a drench chemical to soak the ground around the hives, it don't work.
What I am using is a screened bottom board with a pan under it to catch what gets driven down.
I also build my deep boxes to where the front board is all the way to the bottom board.(closed off)
I drilled a 1 1/4 inch hole up from the bottom a few inches.
It seems to cut down on the SHB population for I feel the bees can guard the smaller opening better.
I also have my hive stands on black plastic (1/8 inch thick) I cut into 4 ft squares.
It is known that the small hive beetle fly's around 2100 or 9:00PM to different locations.
Richard Vardaman (capt44)

Offline fshrgy99

• House Bee
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2013, 03:04:24 pm »
I happened to see my 'mentor' this morning and we talked 'bout shb a bit. Although there is none locally (we are central in Southern Ontario) areas of Ontario along the borders have experienced shb migrating from the South. Although they can overwinter in a hive control here is easier because of the ground freeze and snow. If we do accidentally import them (physically in a nuc etc) elimination is possible with careful attention to elimination and the help of mother nature in the winter.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 10:40:31 pm by fshrgy99 »

Offline rwurster

• House Bee
« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2013, 03:09:19 pm »
Another beekeeper here told me that we don't have problems with them because we are so arid (high desert) and because our winters are so cold.  Hope we stay beetle free :)
Zone 5a @ 4700 ft. High Desert
Facebook Link

Offline Vance G

• Queen Bee
« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2013, 03:38:30 pm »
Another beekeeper here told me that we don't have problems with them because we are so arid (high desert) and because our winters are so cold.  Hope we stay beetle free

Sounds like my situation but I am a bit colder.  Let us hope.