Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Nuts and Honey  (Read 4350 times)

Offline MrILoveTheAnts

• Field Bee
    • Biodiverse Gardens
Nuts and Honey
« on: January 08, 2009, 04:42:46 pm »
I'm watching a show on the Green Network, Emeril Green, and he took this women to a garden area to some kind of flee market. They came up to a table where people were selling honey. And they had all the usual essentials (honey, comb, chuck honey, etc) but they also had mason jars of honey with nuts in them. They said customers like using them on pancakes and so on, but also it takes a few weeks to setup properly. I guess so the flavors really have time to blend.

Does anyone do this here?

Offline mudlake

• House Bee
Re: Nuts and Honey
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2009, 04:53:15 pm »
ALRIGHT SOMETHING ELSE FOR MY LIST THANKS  TONY

Offline Dane Bramage

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2009, 10:58:16 pm »
That is interesting.  I wonder just how much of the nut flavour comes across.. and how much honey flavor penetrates the nuts as well.  I blend honey with raw, sprouted nut butters.  Almond, walnut, macadamia, hazelnut ~ all very yummy!

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2009, 11:14:32 am »
This is pretty common now. Its like walnuts and syrup for icecream. Intead of maply syrup, use honey. I have a jar on the shelf myself of walnuts and honey, but i prefer almonds and honey.
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

Offline jsmob

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2009, 08:30:39 pm »
i prefer almonds and honey.

The Almond growers ( and Beekeepers) of California thank you for your participation. :-*

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2009, 09:12:30 pm »
I make honey glazed pecans w/just a pinch of Cayenne, for spinach salad, you could use almonds too nummy!! The nuts in the honey sound great, would be good on toast! J
I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard

Offline MrILoveTheAnts

• Field Bee
    • Biodiverse Gardens
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2009, 09:29:56 pm »
Would we have to put "May Contain Nuts" on the label though? They do that with peanut after all ... and I suppose yes they may contain nuts.

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2009, 08:42:19 pm »
After reading this thread, I decided to make some honey pecan spread. I finely chopped enough fresh pecans to fill a pint jar about 3/4 full. I then added honey and stirred to mix thoroughly. I then let it set for a couple of days so the flavors could mix.

This stuff spread on a buttered and toasted english muffin will make a fat boy sing!

Tonight, I rolled a little in some Pillsbury croissants topped with some cinnamon sugar and baked.
The fat boy sang again!

Thanks for the idea,

Steve
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline Natalie

• Queen Bee
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2009, 08:44:37 pm »
That sounds awesome! :) I eed to try that.

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2009, 09:12:09 pm »
Steve, that sounds wonderful, gonna do that & will let you know if the fat girl sings!!  J :yippiechick:

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2009, 08:23:41 pm »
Ahem...MEMEMEME,,,Doremefasolatido!!! FALALALAFALALALA!!! :-D  Pecans & slab on vanilla ice cream..OMGoodness!  J

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2009, 09:07:52 pm »
And why exactly would nuts be added to honey?? Can't you just add some honey and nuts to your ice cream or whatever. Am I the only onr here that thinks this is weird?  :?

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2009, 09:54:45 pm »
JP, if you chop the nuts & mix em with the honey & let em set a few days the infusion of flavor is to die for! The nuts soak up the honey & the oil from the nuts gets into the honey...c'mon, be daring, try it! X:X :rainbowflower:  J

Offline MrILoveTheAnts

• Field Bee
    • Biodiverse Gardens
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2009, 10:30:02 pm »
And why exactly would nuts be added to honey?? Can't you just add some honey and nuts to your ice cream or whatever. Am I the only onr here that thinks this is weird?  :?

...JP

Personally I think it's a good idea for selling honey in regular mason jars. It would be easier to pour out nuts already soaking in honey than it would for regular nuts, that are probably dry.

There are a few pluses for doing it, but it would be something sold only to select customers similar to Comb Honey.

200 jars of the same old thing might sell well but when you mix it up a little and have a few jars devoted to something else, like assorted nuts, it might be more eye catching. I know it would certainly catch my interest but maybe that's because I'm a beekeeper.

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2009, 11:52:24 am »
After reading this thread, I decided to make some honey pecan spread. I finely chopped enough fresh pecans to fill a pint jar about 3/4 full. I then added honey and stirred to mix thoroughly. I then let it set for a couple of days so the flavors could mix.

This stuff spread on a buttered and toasted english muffin will make a fat boy sing!

Tonight, I rolled a little in some Pillsbury croissants topped with some cinnamon sugar and baked.
The fat boy sang again!

Thanks for the idea,

Steve
I have had some of Steves pecans and they are tops! YUMMY!!! Love them!
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

Offline Natalie

• Queen Bee
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2009, 08:55:05 pm »
I know this is going to be a stupid question but I have been wanting to ask this since this thread started.
What is the law on selling food items such as this?
I know around here its fine to sell honey and eggs, but if you want to sell something like jam or granola you have to have kitchen certification.
I know canning is different from what we are discussing doing here but I was just curious if anyone had any idea of where this falls.