Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Space in 8 frame boxes  (Read 2478 times)

Offline tillie

• Super Bee
  • Bee in N Georgia on a Blackberry flower
    • Linda T's Bees
Space in 8 frame boxes
« on: May 27, 2008, 12:20:51 pm »
I love using 8 frame mediums but for one thing: there is too much space in the boxes.  I've ordered both from Brushy Mtn and from Betterbee and in both instances, the boxes when finished had almost enough room for a 9th frame.  It's in the 8 frame boxes that I've had the most trouble with bees using the foundationless frames - expanding the comb under frames, etc. 

Why do they not build these boxes honoring bee space? 

I'll bet it's something about economics - best use of the length of board or something like that - they can cut X number of boxes out of one board with nothing left over if they cut them too big for what would be best for the bees.

Linda T curious in Atlanta

Offline JhnR

• New Bee
Re: Space in 8 frame boxes
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2008, 05:57:29 pm »
Hi Linda,

By the way, I want to thank you for your blog. It was the first site I visited when I became
re-interested in raising bees early last year.. Your doing a great job. I also have Betterbee 8 frame mediums but I use a handheld plane too thin them just a bit so I can get 9 frame mediums. You gotta love that bee space.

Best of luck

John

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2008, 08:47:52 pm »
I shave a bit and put 9 frames in and it works great.  :)  But I also have a few follower boards around here and they make up the difference pretty well.  I "inherited" a bunch of "Honey master" frames that I cut down to mediums and also use for followers.  They would work better if they were 13" instead of 13 3/4".   But then I wouldn't be able to put 9 frames in them...

I also find that one PermaComb (which have no spacers) with eight regular frames is just right to fill them out to 9 frames
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline tillie

• Super Bee
  • Bee in N Georgia on a Blackberry flower
    • Linda T's Bees
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2008, 09:37:26 pm »
When you use a follower board, does it just take up the top space that would be occupied by a frame? 

When I bought nucs this year, they came with what the supplier called follower boards which sat on the rim where the frame sits and occupied that frame width - there was nothing below the top "follower board" and the bees in the nuc had built hanging comb from the follower board -

The point being - if I used what I was told were follower boards, wouldn't the bees fill the space below with comb?

Or is there another definition of follower board?

Also if you are putting 9 frames in isn't that challenging the advantage of the lighter weight of the 8 frame equipment?

Linda T who as we know is constructionally challenged in Atlanta

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2008, 02:17:35 pm »
>When you use a follower board, does it just take up the top space that would be occupied by a frame?

No.  It depends on how thick you make it, but if you make it thin, it takes up the space of about a half of a frame.

>When I bought nucs this year, they came with what the supplier called follower boards which sat on the rim where the frame sits and occupied that frame width - there was nothing below the top "follower board" and the bees in the nuc had built hanging comb from the follower board -

A follower should be the size and shape of a frame only it's only 1/4" thick or so.  When you leave a 3/8" space on each side it takes up about an inch.

>The point being - if I used what I was told were follower boards, wouldn't the bees fill the space below with comb?

If it's just a top bar and not a sheet that fits in like a frame, yes, they will just fill the space with comb.

>Also if you are putting 9 frames in isn't that challenging the advantage of the lighter weight of the 8 frame equipment?

No.  Bees fill the space with the same weight of honey whether you put 9 frames, 8 frames, 7 frames or six frames in an eight frame box.  the box will weigh the same as the bees will still fill it with honey.  Less frames makes thicker combs.  Actually the six frames will be slightly heavier than the nine frames because there will be only seven 3/8" beespaces between otherwise solid honey instead of ten 3/8" beespaces between otherwise solid honey..
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything