Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Antique extractor  (Read 2860 times)

Offline Rex

• House Bee
Antique extractor
« on: June 06, 2009, 06:49:05 pm »
I came into possession of an old 2-frame extractor.  Galvanized outer can, metal mesh basket inside that turns on a hand crank.  A threaded opening on the bottom to drain the honey out into a bucket.

Should I be concerned about the galvanized metal?

Offline MustbeeNuts

• Field Bee
    • Great White Betta
Re: Antique extractor
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2009, 08:03:19 pm »
Yes, it needs to be cleaned and there is a type of paint, or sealant that is available, sorry don't remember what it is but you should cover with that before using it. aside from that and a good cleaning it should be fine. The others should remember what that treatment is called. I think that they have lost a little favor in turn for the stainless ones.
Each new day brings decisions,  these are  new branches on the tree of life.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2009, 09:19:12 pm »
Camcote is available from Walter T. Kelley, Brushy Mt and others I think.  It's an epoxy paint that works well for galvanized extractors.  It's made by Cambridge Coatings Paints.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Bee-Bop

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2009, 08:07:56 am »
Galvanized has been used for years for food prosesseing, note your extractor !

I would not worry about it, just do not use it for food storage.

If you ever did any home butchering in time past, bet a quarter you used galvanized wash tubs !

Bee-Bop
" If Your not part of the genetic solution of breeding mite-free bees, then You're part of the problem "

anything