Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Pillars Of The Earth  (Read 4903 times)

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Pillars Of The Earth
« on: October 02, 2010, 02:54:34 pm »
if you enjoyed the book, i think you will like the mini-series.  i believe it was done for Showtime but is out now on DVD.  also streaming to your computer of whatever, through netflix.  good casting and true to the story in spite of the length of the book.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline winginit

• House Bee
Re: Pillars Of The Earth
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2010, 03:10:06 pm »
Cool. Just read this book last year, learned a lot.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2010, 04:01:21 pm »
read World Without End also.  it's every bit as good.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2010, 04:12:25 pm »
Alright, streaming episode 1 now. 

Offline winginit

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2010, 06:12:46 pm »
read World Without End also.  it's every bit as good.

Good suggestion, I'll add it to my list. I love historical fiction and Pillars of the Earth got me interested in Medieval times. I highly recommend The White Queen about Elizabeth Woodville, Queen consort of Edward IV. I learned a lot about the War of the Roses and it was a fun ride in the process.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2010, 06:40:56 pm »
http://us.macmillan.com/thereligion

if you like those, you'll like this one also.  another one of the few books i can read more than one time.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2010, 06:45:43 pm »
also try Anne Perry's WW1 books.  it's a 4 book series that follows the fictional story of several people/families through the war.

Offline Geoff

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2010, 07:41:01 pm »
Kathy how do you make the time to read so much, watch TV and DVD's and try and keep the rest of your country folk in line. The only thing that comes to mind is that you dont sleep.
Local Area Network in Australia - the LAN down under.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2010, 07:57:56 pm »
 :-D

i get a full 8  hours every night.  i read books when i sit down or when i go to bed, but since i don't sit down much unless it's to work at the computer, i also do a tremendous amount of my "reading" by recorded books.  my library offers downloads and there are alway books on CD.  most of me TV watching is recorded shows that i watch at odd times when i'm not reading or in the evening when there isn't anything on TV. 

that's why i enjoy camping or running the tractor.  no input.  gives my brain a chance to stop spinning  :evil:

the sad thing is that i will never be able to read all that i want to read.  the list just keeps getting longer.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2010, 08:43:48 pm »
I just finished the last episode of your show Kathy.  Not a bad show.   I do have a problem with the flying buttress being shown as an English invention as with some other inaccuracies with a historical drama.   But a good show.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2010, 09:16:40 pm »
the movie lacked a lot of the detail in the book, but it is a huge book :-).  sometimes i hate to watch movies made from books i liked.  they don't hold up.  this one was not to bad, but if you enjoyed the move and have not read the book, read it.  you'll really like it.

anything