Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Warm day inspection in Maryland  (Read 2667 times)

Offline EasternShore

• House Bee
  • Tending 50K angry insects is just .........crazy!
    • OMG Apiary
Warm day inspection in Maryland
« on: December 28, 2008, 09:35:35 am »
Hi All,

Been busy with all the other stuff life dishs out and have not posted. Wanted to share with you all my findings yesterday.

Tree hive doing well so far..can't see in but they are out flying in good numbers.
My other 3 test hives from this years cutouts are as follows:

Primary starter hive, my biggest in 2 deeps fully drawn out' has all but emptied the lower completly. I did not pull every frame but it looks empty. A few bees were moving to the lower entrance across the frames. Very heavy stores in upper, did not pull frames at all.
Should I remove the lower?

Large cutout, 2 deeps 80% drawn, great numbers and stores. One strange  observation was that one frame of comb had 20% chewed out and the remains were on the bottom board. This was the only frame like this. Any ideas why they would destroy comb?

My late season cutout has 6 deep frames packed with honey and pollen, great numbers and very clean. Nothing of concern in that one. Praying it makes it, as this queen was homegrown and very prolific.
Thanks for all the help you all have provided me....

Oh..and for those wondering how Rhett the Wonder Macaw is doing...

He's become loving and is sitting on my shoulder right now wondering why I'm beating on the white keyboard. VERY curious....

[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img92.imageshack.us/img92/8896/dsc0238ry6.jpg[/img]
Shot with <a target="_new" href="http://profile.imageshack.us/camerabuy.php?model=NIKON+D40&make=NIKON+CORPORATION">NIKON D40[/url] at 2008-11-24
Anything worth doing is worth doing well.
We are the keepers, it is our duty to preserve life.

Offline tlynn

• Field Bee
Re: Warm day inspection in Maryland
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2008, 10:16:33 am »
Wow, beautiful macaw!  A neighbor in Honduras had one and he loved grabbing the buttons on my shirts and shattering them.  I was always a little intimidated by by that beak!  His name was Diamante.

Offline bud1

• Heavenlyl Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2008, 10:18:01 am »
rat
to bee or not to bee

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2008, 09:40:04 pm »
Yes indeed! What a day. Bees were out and about. Checked on a nuc yard, and found surprisingly, only a few dead outs.

If we only had two weeks of this.... :roll:

www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

Offline wharfrat

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2008, 03:41:34 am »
Hi from Richmond Virginia. Beautiful day eh? I also inspected my single hive today. It got robbed pretty bad in September, so I was happy to see everything looking good! The Queen was found, and there are more honey stores than they started the winter with! I fed in late October/early November, and a bit in the last week.

I have 4 big Camelia bushes, 3 of which bloom in December. 2 still have lots of blooms. Pretty neat seeing my bees on my plants, and bringing in loads of pollen after Christmas.

This is my first year, and feel much better now as it appears the hive should make it to the Spring.

No Hive beetles seen, and things seem to be going well. Happy New Year to all!

Offline EasternShore

• House Bee
    • OMG Apiary
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2008, 07:56:19 pm »
Ok guys and girls...
Went out and built 3 nuc cases with bottom boards.

If the one hive with the bottom empty deep were to be transfered into a two level deep nuc would they be better off?
Can ya tell I'm bored???

Where would you prefer the brood be placed if I were to do that? In the lower middle or upper middle?
Seems silly to leave that empty deep on there..don't they have to still work that comb? Will they just abandon it till spring?

Rhett loves buttons as well...and as far as the BEAK...hmmm...I still have a sore knuckle from the first week we got him...He really got me good!
He now trusts me and most bites are only light...unless someone scares him while I'm not looking...then he takes it out on me...Scarlets are very loving...we have rubbing time every night.
Sorry if this is off topic...bows to the Beemaster....

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2008, 12:52:08 pm »
For the past week Everytime I see a picture of Rhett the Wonder Macaw I think of an email I got recently called Christmas dinner: Christmas...wmv .  I hope the link works, if not maybe one of mods can correct my lame attempt or JP can find it that video library of his.

Pa Crabapple's voice sounds like a combination of Bill Clinton and Larry the Cable Guy.

I can't make the link work so here's the story:  Christmas Dinner according to Pa Crabapple. 

I got a nephew that I think a lot of, he got a job with an Oil Company.  Well, about 4 years ago he moved to South America and I ain't seen him since.
But he still thinks about me and  Ma Crabapple and sends us a nice present.  This past Christmas he sent us a live bird.  A large green bird with a yellow topknot on it's head and some red on it, with a hooked beak.  Sent him life from South America.
"Well, let me tell you sumpthin, that bird was delicious.  Yes, Sir."
We had him for Christmas Dinner.  We fixed him up sith some dressin' an' cranberry sauce and some pertater scuffle.
Well, after Christmas my nephew called and wanted to know if we got the bird.
I said, "Yes, we did, he was delicious."
He said, "You dont mean you went and eat that bird?"
I said, "Off course we did."
Well, he got upset and and pitched a hissy fit.
He said, "Why I paid a lot of money for that bird, he's worth a fortune, he can speak in two languages."
"Well," I said, "He should have said somthin'."
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline EasternShore

• House Bee
    • OMG Apiary
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2009, 05:05:49 pm »
LMAOROFL....OMG!!!!!
Wonder how he really tasted???