Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Is That a Bee On My Donut?  (Read 4365 times)

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
Is That a Bee On My Donut?
« on: February 09, 2009, 08:32:41 pm »
I got a call today from a donut shop. I got out the truck and walked all the way around the building and found bees swarming in and out of a bucket lapping up icing like there was no tomorrow and I found them flying around the back door, seemingly trying to get in.

I walked in and greeted the manager, who was more than happy to see me. I guess she thought, hey call a beekeeper, maybe he can take them away!

There were perhaps 20 bees in the kitchen, flying against the lights like they do, and bees on donuts that were freshly glazed and placed on a tin sheet.

There were about 4 people in the kitchen and two more up front. The bucket by the dumpster was a decoy, in hopes of luring them away from the bldg.

I asked how long they've been seeing bees and the mgr tells me 8 yrs, which is how long she's worked there.

She said they fly in through the back door when they go in and out which is 30-40 times a day, and occasionally enter through the drive through window.

I searched the bldg over real good, even got up on the roof and did not see traffic entering/exiting the bldg anywhere.

We talked about available nectar flow and how when the flowers started producing the bees would greatly lessen foraging activities on their bldg. She mentioned that this was the pattern for 8 yrs now but that this was the earliest they've showed up.

I really wanted to take pictures of the bees on the donuts but felt it a little inappropriate, but it was cool to watch the girls on the donuts with their little proboscis lapping away.

I have to commend the mgr for not wanting to kill them and doing their best to get their work done amidst the bees and the occasional accidental sting.

Not exactly sure where the hive is that's coming in, so far now that part is a mystery.

My mind is reeling in thought over this one but not sure if there's much they can really do.

Open to ideas and suggestions, thanks.

Pics http://picasaweb.google.com/pyxicephalus/TasteeDonuts?authkey=fyL45d0EhtU#

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: Is That a Bee On My Donut?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2009, 09:08:33 pm »
Good time to practice bee lining.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2009, 09:12:06 pm »
good thinking on her part to provide a decoy!  i bet this can't be cured without finding the hive.  this is a source for them and they pass it on....probably not only to one hive.

Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2009, 09:14:43 pm »
Good time to practice bee lining.

Thinking about it but its in the city, on a busy corner with houses, businesses and lots of fences.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2009, 09:19:46 pm »
JP, this will be a fun thread to watch for the rest of us...they should charge more for the special "bee approved" doughnuts! J
I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2009, 09:33:21 pm »
If they screened in the back area and added another door it could keep them out or greatly reduce what's getting in, but I mentioned this idea and the mgr said main headquarters wouldn't approve the cost to do so.

Running out of ideas.

...JP

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2009, 11:07:56 pm »
I got a call last year from a soda bottler. The manager said he had millions of bees on ther ground. All types. So I went and looked. They spill HFCS all the time and are afraid to clean up the mess b/c of the bees. I told him, just wash it down at nite when the bees are inside their homes. He said no way thats overtime. He says how much will you charge. I said more then overtime!!! Needless to say, they waited until nite and cleaned it up
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2009, 11:52:33 pm »
JP, to me, that was a very cool little story.  I picture this manager of this donut shop, for years putting up with the bees coming in and sneaking that good stuff away.  She only tried to decoy them away, narry did she attempt to harm them. This to me is a very wonderful person -- and I take my hat off to her.  She must have that patience to end all patience, lovely.  Have that most great and wonderful day, life, health, love.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2009, 01:05:05 am »
The donut shop is just a huge magnet and the bees know it. Inside the kitchen area there's a heating tank and a revolving glazer that goes round and round continually, all day long. There's this warm, sweet odor throughout the bldg but as you know a bee's sniffer is a lot better than ours so they can smell this sweet smell from the outside.

Kinda reminded me of the little pigs trying to get in.  :-D

...JP

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2009, 11:36:20 pm »
Bees hanging out at a doughnut shop has to be the bee police,  were they black and white?
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Keith13

• Super Bee
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2009, 02:04:59 pm »
Homer Simpson bees

Keith

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2009, 08:54:16 pm »
Well, my contractor friend and I put our thinking caps on and decided a blower over the back door would most likely do the trick. It could be set to go on once the door was opened.

Apparently the donut headquarters doesn't want to spend any money to fix the problem. So their solution for now is to use another door up front to get to the dumpster in the rear of the bldg. Inconvenient for them but with no expenditures.

...JP

anything