Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: I'm so proud of my Computer over my 47 inch HDTV  (Read 6392 times)

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
I'm so proud of my Computer over my 47 inch HDTV
« on: November 23, 2008, 03:59:11 pm »
Truely amazing. I had a problem a week ago, lost my internet connection all because I hit a LAN OFF switch I didn't even know I had.

We'll for a long time (mostly off and on, I've tried every S-Video and audio in and outs, to no avail, I always got sound but never video from my laptop. So today, I thought to my self, get strong glasses and see what else there is on this Media Edition (TV tuner, etc) laptop.

We sure emough, like being slapped in the head was an HDMI slot - yahooooooooooooo, I hooked it up and LAZER SHARP resolution oon the 47inch LCD HDTV 1080P.

So now I can surf the world on a huge TV screen I'm gliggling at as we speak it is so cool, I won't need glasses to surf the net again :)

Well, maybe for typing - lol.

NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline Geoff

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Field Bee
Re: I'm so proud of my Computer over my 47 inch HDTV
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2008, 02:41:28 am »
What does a HDMI slot look like John?
Geoff.
Local Area Network in Australia - the LAN down under.

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2008, 04:27:06 am »
Hi Geoff:

Not too different from a usb , the end that goes into the PC not the little end, but more tapered ends the just a long rectangle. The cable thickness is what throughs you off - it is quite heav and seems the plug ends could not fit into something almost the size of the wide end of a usb plug.

It was Fun though, Tracey and I caught up on quite a few WEB BASED FULL EPISODES of shows we like from all the networks in full screen glory. I still need to get my sound figured out, which I have external speakers for right now. I think I'm missing a setting on the TV Menu to activate the sound, that will be todays adventure after getting about 5 hours sleep (it is 3:25am) I'm at work, first a shower then bed when I get home. Early this afternoon I'll put it together :)

Just think, a week ago I was reay to trash (we'll have fixed) my laptop, figured it out and now and a junky to a 47 inch AMAZING SHARP SCREEN (especially after looking at a HP 17 inch monitor) which is nice, but it's no BRILLIANT clearity and sharpness of a 47 inch Phillips LCD :)

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline samwise

• New Bee
    • The only other big project I'm working on...
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2009, 06:36:55 pm »
Truely amazing. I had a problem a week ago, lost my internet connection all because I hit a LAN OFF switch I didn't even know I had.

We'll for a long time (mostly off and on, I've tried every S-Video and audio in and outs, to no avail, I always got sound but never video from my laptop. So today, I thought to my self, get strong glasses and see what else there is on this Media Edition (TV tuner, etc) laptop.

We sure emough, like being slapped in the head was an HDMI slot - yahooooooooooooo, I hooked it up and LAZER SHARP resolution oon the 47inch LCD HDTV 1080P.

So now I can surf the world on a huge TV screen I'm gliggling at as we speak it is so cool, I won't need glasses to surf the net again :)

Well, maybe for typing - lol.

I just did something similar (making use of new flat panel)!

We had a big, built in entertainment center... the TV space, as I will call it wouldn't fit anything bigger than a 27" TV... well, my wife has been wanting a fireplace for a while... and we can't have one, without changing/removing the other... (I'm a picture taker, I would post photobucket links to the changes, but I can't yet...)

We removed the entertainment center...bought our fireplace & mantel.. then bought the new 1080p LCD TV.

About 2 weeks ago, I added the new computer...

My old desktop computer... is finally going to be shelved... it's a Pentium 4 with 384mb RAM  WINDOWS XP ... laughable by today's standards....   

Our LCD screen has a PC connection... so we made use of that & bought a Mac Mini! 2ghz 1 gb RAM, 120gb HD, DVD CDRW, Bluetooth, Wifi, wireless keyboard and mouse...

Never had a home computer with a 42" LCD screen  LOL

Oh ya, I'm loving it!

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2009, 05:50:52 pm »
I only wished I had the option to have HDMI 1 (PC) and HDMI 2 (TV) in picture in picture so I could watch TV in a window while surfing or visa-versa. I never did read the book on it, but I sure have fooled around with the on-screen menu-ing enough and don't see that option - ugh.

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2009, 06:17:44 pm »
I only wished I had the option to have HDMI 1 (PC) and HDMI 2 (TV) in picture in picture so I could watch TV in a window while surfing or visa-versa. I never did read the book on it, but I sure have fooled around with the on-screen menu-ing enough and don't see that option - ugh.

John ...

READ THE BOOK IT MAY HELP YOU!!!

BEE HAPPY Jim 134  :)
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2009, 11:24:01 pm »
Dang money bags  ;) , wish I was there to see that!!!! might be again in a few years   :-P
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline TwoBigCats

• New Bee
    • TwoBigCats
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2009, 08:38:41 pm »
my son did the same thing with his flat panel / pc / lan connection: it's beautiful and gives him great single-point access to all sorts of content and, of course, web surfing as he wishes. he's got netflix so has access to 12,000 on-demand streamed videos at no significant extra charge.

i suspect we'll be doing the same thing in the near future.
hal

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2009, 08:36:46 am »
Last Night we bought the Wii system, with numchucks, Wii sports, extra remote and game pack, Call of Duty 5 - World at War and Resident Evil 4 (ME LOVE ZOMIES)

Got it hooked up and played with Buzzbeejr (josh) for over an hour in the online mode which worked flawlessly.

I got to show my wife the BOWLING this morning, that will likely be our game - we use to go all the time and slacked off over the years. I played it for a good half-hour and it was very responsive to my late sharp left hook - I kept 185 to 190 in three leagues in the late 80s early 90s, and still got it :)

It isn't a hi-def console by any means, but the play factor with the interactive remotes is really fun, I'm enjoying it alot and tonight is the first bowling match :)

PS... no matter what the resolution, it looks great on that big TV, I still think the HDTV was well worth every penny, we get tons of use out of it, hours a day doing one thing or another!

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2009, 09:20:21 pm »
now I have had a wii for over a year now, what you got to do to hook it up online?cant play to soon, got a guy coming to replace a computer board in my 45 inch picture tude , aint no telling when he will get here, I would take it to him but this thing weighs 400+ pounds, its a monster! but when I get it fixed I would enjoy something like that, we just love the Bowling game.
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline samwise

• New Bee
    • The only other big project I'm working on...
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2009, 10:34:23 pm »
I went to Best Buy this afternoon to buy a double ended $4.00 Stereo Mini jack so I can plug my mac mini into the LCD Flat panel... and hear the audio through the TV....

I hate that store...  :)

They were having a sale on wireless HP Scanner Copier Printers.... now that I am fazing out my older computer, the printer I had was connected to it... and I really had no where to put it...  So now, the laptop will print, from anywhere in the house... and here I am now, typing on my keyboard, from my recliner in the living room... using a wireless keyboard and mouse on the Mac Mini  (Any Imac people here??)

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2009, 03:45:04 pm »
Well.... Not bad enough that after years of impressive bowling in the real world, my wife kicks my butt at Wii Bowling, now I have to add the Wii Tennis to that list.

Actually, I do like the tennis a lot more, getting to play both players on your team, return some killer lobs and really play a hot and heavy game is awesome. My wife actually played an hour or more AFTER I left for work yesterday against the Wii Artificial players. She have never in 25 years played video games, but this Wii really does bring out the gamer in people who never had such urges before.

Offline hive101

• New Bee
    • Hive 101
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2009, 01:38:17 pm »
I <3 HDMI... the fact that I can run 1 cable from my receiver to my TV and still have use of 5 different devices is nothing short of a technological miracle.

My wife calls me an "HD snob" :roll: because I refuse to watch any of our SD channels, or watch movies on regular DVD's now that I've discovered the joys of Blu-ray.  I just can't bring myself to buy a Wii.  They look cool, but I have yet to find a single game for Wii that there is not a similar title for on my HD-capable Playstation 3 (of which we now have 2). 

High Velocity Bowling for PS3 looks amazing, and the PS3 also has motion-sensing controllers so you bowl by swinging it around like a Wii-mote.

Martin @ Hive101.com

anything