Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: The girls have arrived !!!!  (Read 1992 times)

Offline Rob Sandberg

• New Bee
The girls have arrived !!!!
« on: April 19, 2012, 06:25:51 pm »
So as you know I am a newbee. My bees arrived, 2 packages. Thoughts on screened bottom boards.  We are
In a hot spell right now. 230 pm and it is 83 degrees . I have the bees in the kitchen , ceiling
Fan on low (approximate 20 feet away) boy are they noisy! So with the heat should I start with a screened bottom board or is this me being silly? I plan to install about 6 pm tonight !! Is it okay to install one right after another. Thanks in advance for your replies. ( I am like a little boy waiting for Santa Claus)

Offline beyondthesidewalks

• House Bee
  • I need a shave
Re: The girls have arrived !!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2012, 08:57:04 pm »
Congratulations.  Get them hived and let them get to work.  I use screened bottom boards and leave them on year round.

Offline Rob Sandberg

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2012, 09:08:14 pm »
My nights still dip into the low 40's so after this heat wave passes should I solid bottom board?
I understand you do not but are my nights too cool?
Thank

Offline sterling

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2012, 09:49:20 pm »
They seem to draw comb better if the hive stays warm. They can and will control the temp with the bottom closed. And when it gets really hot you could open them up.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2012, 09:57:39 pm »
You can use either screen or solid bottom in your area. It doesn't matter.

DO NOT slide the mite count board under the screen bottom and leave it. NEVER, EVER...
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Dimmsdale

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2012, 11:52:19 pm »
Iddee,
Total curiosity.  Why would you never leave the mite board beneath the screen?

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2012, 12:00:43 am »
I am up north in Placerville California and the nights get colder than that. I leave them on screened bottom boards all year long. They do just fine. Just had 4 hives going into winter and 4 coming out all on open screened bottom boards. Cold does not kill bees, moisture does.

Online G3farms

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2012, 12:23:22 am »
Iddee,
Total curiosity.  Why would you never leave the mite board beneath the screen?

Because the SHB and wax moth larva can and will set up shop between them, and the bees can not get to them to clean house.
those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your keister is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!

Offline Rob Sandberg

• New Bee
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2012, 01:20:20 am »
So the first installation went great ! The second install brought me 3 stubs. I poured / shook the second one in and discovered no queen cage hang ! I freak out and think I did not order a queen , I have my wife get my iPad and receipt , shows I ordered two but cannot find anywhere the cage could have been attached ,oh well I button up and will call Friday am. I finally spot the cage on the bottom covered by bees , so I reach my gloved hand in and feel 3 stingers go into my finger , I quickly brush them off and pick the cage up with pliers. No stingers left behind and installed the queen cage ! So thanks to everyone . Life is great

Offline beyondthesidewalks

• House Bee
  • I need a shave
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2012, 09:14:46 am »
Sounds like you are moving right along.  Got bees, stings and your hives setup.   :)