Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: HOW DID YOU CHOOSE YOUR MEMBER NAME?  (Read 310922 times)

Offline wisconsin_cur

• House Bee
    • The Back Porch Blog
Re: HOW DID YOU CHOOSE YOUR MEMBER NAME?
« Reply #380 on: July 31, 2009, 03:16:08 pm »
First of all welcome!

Regarding bears, however, I think they have resulted in more frustration with the DNR among beekeepers up here than anything else.  Wolves among some livestock farmers being a close second.
“It does not do to leave a live dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him.” J.R.R. Tolkien

The Back Porch

Offline BruinnieBear

• House Bee
« Reply #381 on: August 01, 2009, 01:59:45 pm »
Yup!  I guess you could substitute "bear" for "dragon" in your tagline and have it make a lot of sense.  For us, it's really not part of the calculation. :roll:  Now, skunks, on the other hand, that's a different story ... both for our bees, and our Sheltie "curs".  How riduculous would a fencer look mounted 4 inches off the ground?

BB
Some days you just have to learn the hard way!

Bruce & Minnie Fairbanks

Offline maconhoney

• Brood
« Reply #382 on: August 24, 2009, 07:56:13 pm »
maconhoney here --Hi! My wife and I are brand new to this site and are new back into beekeeping after being out for 20+ years. We have started again with 2 hives and are looking forward to learning and relearning a lot of things. As far as our name --we are both from Macon, GA and now live about 10 miles from the city near Juliette, GA (Home of the movie -Fried Green Tomatoes!). Just thought it was a neat play on words. Any advise regarding beekeeping is welcome! We need some supplies (medium supers; frames, wax, etc). Who has the best deal? Thanks! Danny & Brenda

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #383 on: August 24, 2009, 08:19:17 pm »
My biker Bros gave me the nickname years ago. I'm a building contractor (I know, everyone automatically hates me now) but I specialize in fine custom woodwork and am always going on about "this hardwood, or that hardwood" so the moniker kinda stuck. The cool thing is that I whip out dove-tailed boxes in no time!
Peace be yours,
Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline melliphile

• House Bee
« Reply #384 on: August 26, 2009, 08:45:03 pm »
Well hardwood, I would never hate someone for being a contractor, and as long as you're a beekeeper, you can't bee all bad. 
    My screen name comes from latin. "Melli" is honey. And "phile" is a lover of.  Therefore, melliphile= lover of honey.
"Never discourage anyone who continually makes progress, no matter how slow." -Plato

Offline Sparky

• Field Bee
« Reply #385 on: August 31, 2009, 09:38:05 pm »
Sparky, because I am an Electrician and if you have ever worked on a construction site and the people you work around never call you by your name they will call all wire nuts SPARKY.

Offline Somerford

• House Bee
« Reply #386 on: September 23, 2009, 06:00:11 am »
Someford - easy really. I live in the smaller of two villages, Great Somerford and Little Somerford and it is easy for me to remember. It also sounds good (well to me anyway!)

I have plenty of other nicknames but as these came from my University days I feel I should self edit and not type them here ! I always think if your mother wouldn't mind reading it, then it's ok for all.

If you've ever met my mother you'll know what I mean....(and I'm married with 2 very small boys too!)

S
God Save The Queen

Offline BeeZee

• Brood
« Reply #387 on: November 01, 2009, 12:32:21 am »
Just wanted something short & (sweet?) - Z is my second initial, and Bee is..   well... obvious

BZ

Offline okiebeeman

• New Bee
« Reply #388 on: November 01, 2009, 11:08:47 pm »
I am from Oklahoma. I am a beekeeper. Hence okiebeeman.  :)

Offline Hemlock

• Field Bee
« Reply #389 on: November 10, 2009, 09:17:53 pm »
The first house we had was located on an oxbow island in the middle of Big Clear Creek in Greenbriar county, WV.  The island was 3 acres of 200 year old Hemlock trees 120 feet tall or so.  During the nightly bonfire the Wife would read aloud from Robert Service.  The name Hemlock always takes me back.
Make Mead!

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #390 on: November 10, 2009, 10:17:11 pm »
Hemlock, I love "the Cremation of Sam McGee".  My Brother has for years recited this entire poem many times at family get togethers, I love it, this man wrote some very beautiful stuff.  Have that great,most awesome day, life, health.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline SlickMick

• Field Bee
« Reply #391 on: November 10, 2009, 10:36:09 pm »
Being an Aussie I had never heard of Robert Service, instead being brought up on Banjo Patterson, Henry Lawson and the likes.

I am glad to have been educated at least by this forum in the reading of "the Cremation of Sam McGee".  Wonderful stuff!

Mick

Offline Hemlock

• Field Bee
« Reply #392 on: November 10, 2009, 11:33:14 pm »
@ cindi,
I'm glad to hear praises to him.  Few people know who he was.  His verse is masterful and his content intense.  I would think you have big woods in your area that are reminiscent of some of his works.Your brother sounds like a hoot! 

@ SlickMick,
I'll look into Banjo Patterson & Henry Lawson but you should look into Service's 'The Law of the Yukon'.  from the book 'The Spell of the Yukon'.  A great read.
Make Mead!

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #393 on: November 11, 2009, 12:36:40 am »
Hemlock, oh yes, my Brother is a hoot and a holler for sure!!!  He always recites amazingly long things that he has memorized, he amazes me to this day, he is one year and 25 days my junior, smiling. My mother was a very busy woman in those days.  Although he is Scorpio, I be Libra.  Have these most beautiful days, to love and live, with health.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Hethen57

• House Bee
« Reply #394 on: November 23, 2009, 06:04:43 pm »
It's a combination between a fraternity nickname and my pledge class number.  Not "Heathen" in the sense of un religious person, but more related to the fact that I was kind of a rebel and rode a motorcycle everywhere in college.  Also, I was in the 57th pledge class of my fraternity.
-Mike

bigbearomaha

« Reply #395 on: November 24, 2009, 09:20:49 am »
I am bigbearomaha.

I am not small, (6'4", 400 lbs, size 16 ring) I have been called and characterized as a bear since I was a kid ( yes,  I do have a lot of hair)and  I am in Omaha, NE  That pretty much sums it up.

Big Bear

Offline sqkcrk

• New Bee
    • squeakcreekhoney
« Reply #396 on: December 12, 2009, 09:07:11 pm »
sqkcrk is Squeak Creek w/ all of the vowels removed. Squeak Creek runs through my farm.

Offline Astrocycler

• New Bee
« Reply #397 on: December 27, 2009, 02:55:10 pm »
Astrocycler

I am an amateur astronomer and like to ride my bicycle on long rides.

Hmmmm, could astrocycler bike to Andromeda?  That would be a long ride!
I know it is going to be a good day when I get up in the morning look back in the bed and I am not in it!

The best part of having grandbrats is I now have people my own age to play with.

Offline thebeesarmer

• Brood
« Reply #398 on: January 10, 2010, 09:05:01 pm »
The Bee Sarmer was an easy pick for me.  My oldest son (now 15) loved the Little People farm set when he was young.  The person that took care of the animals and crops was the "sarmer".  We corrected his "mistake" and told him it was a FFFFarmer.  He said, "I know.  I just like sarmer better."

When I took an interest in bees, and started joining forums, I became The Bee Sarmer to honor the boy he was and the man he is becoming.

Offline nucsnchooks

• New Bee
« Reply #399 on: January 10, 2010, 11:04:28 pm »
I have a chicken addiction, and it seems I plan to start a new one!  :-D
I'm a newbeek. :)