Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Put new package to work?  (Read 1444 times)

Offline RangerBrad

• House Bee
Put new package to work?
« on: March 22, 2011, 07:32:11 pm »
Hey fellas, I'll be installing a new 4# package in a 2 hive body hive. The upper body has almost a full store of honey in it left by a die out caused by a queen dying during the winter( no disease or anything). I have about 10 medium super frames that need to be cleaned up and have drawn on them. I am not concerened with honey production from this hive this year but thought since they were comming into a hive with already stored honey, I could put them to work on clean up and wax drawing duty. Is this ok, or should I just feed them up during the fall and let them build their numbers? What say yal to this idea? Brad
If the only dog you can here in the hunt is yours, your probaly missing the best part of the chase.

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
Re: Put new package to work?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2011, 08:23:26 pm »
I would put them in the deep with two to four frames of honey and the rest drawn comb or foundation. When the queen fills four or five of the remaining six frames, give them another box.

Steve
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline organicfarmer

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2011, 08:57:37 pm »
As asprince said. And later you can add the super to clean.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2011, 10:25:49 pm »
You do not want to get the bees too much room because of SHB also.   Keep an eye on them and you can give more room to grow into as they need it. 

Offline RangerBrad

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2011, 12:35:44 am »
Why would I not install them in both hive bodies at the same time with the hive body on top full of honey and the lower empty? This is all honey super cell frames, no problem with shb or wax moth. Then when their settled in add excluder and super with frames that need to be cleaned. What are yals thoughts? Brad
If the only dog you can here in the hunt is yours, your probaly missing the best part of the chase.

anything