Welcome, Guest

Poll

How many NEW hives are you starting this year???

None
1 (2.6%)
4 (10.5%)
7 (18.4%)
5 (13.2%)
4 (10.5%)
5 (13.2%)
0 (0%)
1 (2.6%)
3 (7.9%)
0 (0%)
10+
8 (21.1%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: How many new hives are you starting this year???  (Read 32822 times)

Offline BigRog

• House Bee
How many new hives are you starting this year???
« Reply #60 on: January 31, 2005, 05:55:54 pm »
Ryan
Go for it. But be prepared to have it take a little more time to get to your goals.
If you are going to be building all those hives you're going to need a table saw a jig for your joints, a couple of glueing bottles and the space to put them up once they are drying. I would also rccomend a air nailer.

Please also be careful a table saw is a great place to change the configuration of your hand - forever. It's easy, when doing a lot of cutting to have a momentary lapse that you will be reminded of forever.
"Lurch my good man,…what did you mean when you said just now that 'You've got better things to do than run my petty little errands'…….?"

Offline Horns Pure Honey

• House Bee
« Reply #61 on: January 31, 2005, 06:18:06 pm »
Thanks all for the support. When my mom and dad got devorced I was given one of the sheds that is 40x60. It is fully stocked with at least 2 of each tool and that is why I have no problem building things. I have the sapce and the equipment and money for all the wood is no problem which is quite nice. I am VERY careful around the saws becuase I dont want to get cut or even worse loose a finger or so. The tear and the sailboat dont have to be finished so quickly, I think I am going to finish the tear in the next  few months and start on the sail boat. My dad can get the stuff for the bees and I can make shure it is all put together right and in the right spot. Right now I am focused on finishing the tear, might even get it done real soon. bye
Ryan Horn

Offline fiveson

• New Bee
Ryan Be Careful!!
« Reply #62 on: January 31, 2005, 08:47:30 pm »
When I was 13 my best friend lived next door. His dad decided to build a sailboat - a ferro cement boat (cement on chicken wire for the hull - super strong).  He works on this thing all the time for about two years. Then it was ready.

I AM NOT MAKING THIS UP

It was then that he realized that this thing would not fit to get out of his yard. He ended up having to level the garage entirely to get it out! We all stood there just shaking our heads.

Now I know you wont do that - but it is somethig to think about young man!

Rob
The Pleasures Of Love Lasts but a fleeting
But the pledges of life
Outlust a lifetime

(J Joyce)

Offline Horns Pure Honey

• House Bee
« Reply #63 on: January 31, 2005, 11:59:51 pm »
Well I am not doing a cement boat, I am doing marine plywood and fiberglass. I am not worried about getting out of the shed due to the doors are 20 feet tall. I am also not worried about the normal problems of getting the finished boat on a trailer, we own a 15 ton limit crane, as I said earlier, we have a car company so we have wierd but fun equipment to mess around with. bye
Ryan Horn

Offline pardee

• New Bee
« Reply #64 on: February 02, 2005, 03:24:18 pm »
I plan on starting eight hives this year and will mentor a couple of young men that want to take up beekeeping, they are 15 and 17 years old and have had a passion for beekeeping I hope to have an impact on the next generation.

Anonymous

« Reply #65 on: February 02, 2005, 09:31:49 pm »
Excellent Pardee. I attend two different beekeepers clubs and the avrage age at both is in the 60's.
Although the seven pond club is real close to being in the 40's.
 :D Al