Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Greetings from a newbie in the midwest  (Read 2823 times)

Offline bsteele

• Brood
Greetings from a newbie in the midwest
« on: March 10, 2009, 12:50:42 am »
Hello...I'd like to introduce myself.  My name is Bill Steele and I live just outside of St Joseph, MO on 4 acres.  I work in the Information Technology field.

I've been interested in beekeeping for some time, but never made the leap.  After much research on the internet and reading about beekeeping, I'm ready to get started.  I'm definitely a newbie and look forward to gaining much insight and wisdom from all my new friends on this forum.

St Joseph or St Joe is located in NW Missouri, about 40 miles north of Kansas City.  St Joe is fairly small, around 75,000 people.  Some of you may remember from a history class that the Pony Express began in St Joe.  Also, if you have an authentic Stetson hat, it was made here.  Ever had a Cherry Mash candy bar?  It is made here, too.  NW Missouri is rich in agriculture, but very modern in technology and business.

Again, I look forward to meeting and talking with you.  Please be patient to my lack of experience, but also my never-ending thirst for knowledge.   I have a tendency to ask many questions.

Bill

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
Re: Greetings from a newbie in the midwest
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2009, 06:35:32 am »
Hi Bill:

I think you found the right place to access THOUSANDS of COMBINED YEARS EXPERIENCES as beekeepers - not a bad place to start :)

I am a hobbyist myself of 36 years and still learn new things from our large group of members, many of  which have hundreds, even thousands of hive and they make a living from their bees. Combining the Backyard beekeeper and the pro in a great way to get opinions and ideas from every spectrum of beekeeping.

I hope you enjoy it here, I'm sure you will - there are many other topics to introduce you to the other members, share thoughts and opinions, voice and text chat, interact with web cams and on and on.

I believe you'll enjoy our family friendly atmosphere and members here always live by the rule to AGREE TO DISAGREE when topics get hot (which even in beekeeping does) so we all enjoy allowing the entire family to be active here, insuring generations of beekeepers.

Welcome again, I know you'll get plenty of other welcomes, just sitting here at work and saw you joining and thought I'd say hello :)

NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline indypartridge

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2009, 07:29:33 am »
Hello and Welcome!

This is a good place to start! I started about 5 years ago reading the tutorials on the main Beemaster page and haven't left yet! If you haven't discovered the 'search' function, it's one of my favorite features. Very often I find that my questions have already been discussed and I get an immediate answer.

And while this forum is great, nothing beats face-to-face. Are you involved with a local beekeeping club? Clubs often have beginning beekeeping classes, and are great places to get connected to other nearby beekeepers. Looks like there may be one near you:
http://www.mostatebeekeepers.org/local_associations.htm

Offline 1reb

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2009, 09:25:38 am »
Hello and Welcome Bill
There is alot of great information on the forum !!
The members here are willing help and answer your questions, all you need to do is to ask
Johnny

Offline jdpro5010

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2009, 09:50:19 am »
Welcome aboard Bill!  You have definetly came to the right place if you like LOTS of information.  Good luck in your newest endeavour.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2009, 11:37:21 pm »
Bill, welcome to our forum, you have found a wonderful place to do these things:

Spend a whole lot of time
Ask a whole lot of questions (patience is our first name, by the way)
Tell your stories, tales and experiences, and they don't have to be just about bees
Make new friends

So, you can see, a great place to be, stick around.  AND...have that most wonderful and most awesome day, life, health.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline dpence

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2009, 01:06:11 am »
Hello Bill, welcome aboard.  Yes have been to St. Joe a bunch of times.  The Pony Express, I had forgotten.  I live closer to Marceline where Walt Disney grew up.  J.C. Penney is from Missouri too I think.  Just traveling along highway 36 you get a history lesson...LOL.  Anyway lots of wisdom here....and a bit of humor too.   

David

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2009, 08:16:53 am »
Hi, My name is Mike...and I'm an addicted beekeeper....  :shock:

Come Bill...join hands, and chat with us beekeepers for awhile.... :-D You will never know what hit you. 
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2009, 12:37:25 pm »
Hi, My name is Mike...and I'm an addicted beekeeper....  :shock:
Come Bill...join hands, and chat with us beekeepers for awhile.... :-D You will never know what hit you. 

Right, Bill, another thing to add to the list, you're gonna get a lot of stuff that is gonna give you a hoot and a hollar, there are some pretty funnnnnneeeeee and blatent individuals in our forum.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Cossack

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2009, 09:02:02 pm »
Welcome to the site.

You will learn alot here.
I had a dream last night, I was eating a 10 pound marshmallow. I woke up this morning and the pillow was gone.....

Offline Zane

• New Bee
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2009, 05:11:10 pm »
Welcome to the site. I live in Cameron just west of you. We have had alot of talk to get a club going up in this area. GIve me a shout some time.

anything