Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Propolis Traps  (Read 2897 times)

Offline vmmartin

• House Bee
Propolis Traps
« on: October 22, 2010, 10:41:00 pm »
I am collecting propolis with traps and was wondering if y'all had any thoughts about their use as the temps. start to fall off?
What about contributing to robbing as the smell can get out more easily?
I have a couple of hives that can fill a trap in like a week and am not sure if I should discontinue my collection.
Thanks

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
Re: Propolis Traps
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2010, 10:48:30 pm »
I don't know when they cut it off, but I do know here in north Georgia, they are still gluing up like mad.  I would guess they stop when they quit flying and go into winter cluster.   

Do you have a market for your propolis?

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2010, 02:57:50 am »
The bees won't gather propolis on a cold day... they can't work it.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline vmmartin

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2010, 11:42:27 am »
Thanks y'all. Now that I hear it, it seems so simple. Allen, I do have just a couple of people that are wanting it. I started collecting mainly for myself. I am sure that if I can get a good supply, that I will be able to sell whatever I can get.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2010, 11:57:53 am »
I had a lady from a health food store want some this fall.   I told her if she wanted to wait, I would get some for next year just for her along with what ever honey she wanted.   All that fell through.  She could not wait I guess.  I don't know why people get so mad when I don't have enough of what they want.   Everyone wants honey in the spring when I have been sold out for 6 months.  They don't understand that.   What kind of Propolis screens are you using and do you think that the bees don't glue up the hive as much with them on?

Offline vmmartin

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2010, 10:37:56 pm »
I had a lady from a health food store want some this fall.   I told her if she wanted to wait, I would get some for next year just for her along with what ever honey she wanted.   All that fell through.  She could not wait I guess.  I don't know why people get so mad when I don't have enough of what they want.   Everyone wants honey in the spring when I have been sold out for 6 months.  They don't understand that.   What kind of Propolis screens are you using and do you think that the bees don't glue up the hive as much with them on?
Allen, I got mine from Dadant. I only left them on for about a month.  Two hives were "propin" like mad and would fill a trap in a week. The other hives barely touched them.

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2010, 04:07:33 pm »
Bees gather propolis mostly after middsummer.

But burlap sheet over  topĀ“bars. Bees fill the cloth with propolis. Then put it into freezer -18C and crush it. The fragile propolis goes to pieces.
Language barrier NOT included

Offline cam

• House Bee
    • circle 7 honey
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2010, 07:41:21 am »
window screen also works the same way.
circle7 honey and pollination

Offline jdpro5010

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2010, 04:03:21 pm »
I am not sure how "food approved" window screen is though!

Offline Bee-Bop

• Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2010, 05:42:10 pm »
I am not sure how "food approved" window screen is though!

Let's see, aluminum screen wire is, aluminum, jut like some of your kitchen pots & pans.   :shock:

I would think aluminum pots & pans are " food approved ", they have been used for years.  ;)

Bee-Bop
" If Your not part of the genetic solution of breeding mite-free bees, then You're part of the problem "

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2010, 07:56:23 pm »
The aluminum screen is getting hard to find now days.  I had to go to the hardware store in town for it.   Everybody else carries the cloth or nylon screen. 

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2010, 12:20:16 pm »
The idea is that you may twist the clothe and so freezed resin brakes. Metall does not work in this.
Language barrier NOT included