Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: SKYPE id?  (Read 3999 times)

Offline ayyon2157

• House Bee
SKYPE id?
« on: January 20, 2010, 12:38:04 pm »
Hello everyone:

I recently sent an inquiry to a company in China , and got a prompt and complete response.

Apparently a salesman or associate there asked for my "SKYPE id" "so we can talk"  His is "renally" (underlined).

How do I get a "skype id", what does it cost, how do you use it, and what is it good for?

He seems to have a www address; maybe it costs him to use it?

Any thoughts?

ayyon2157
William H. Michaels

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: SKYPE id?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2010, 12:43:31 pm »
it's free.  skype is a communications method that allows "face to face" via web cam.  i use it with my grandkids, and kids.  i don't think there is any cost internationally.  not for what i have done at least.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2010, 01:45:29 pm »
Skype.com

It was pretty easy to set up, expecially if you already have a webcam set up.

Free skype-to-skype webchat.  You can also just to voice chat and text chat.  You can conference multiple skypers but only voice.
Rick

Offline bee-nuts

• Queen Bee
    • Nectar Meadows Apiaries
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2010, 03:02:29 pm »
Has anyone used Skype phone service (the subscription service)?  Are You pleased with it?
The moment a person forms a theory, his imagination sees in every object only the traits which favor that theory

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2010, 04:32:09 pm »
i use vonage and have been happy with it.  all my international calls are free.  the sound quality is good.  you do need good high speed internet to use it and i have found that doing downloads and talking at the same time interferes with calls a bit.  that's a small thing considering how much money it saves me.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Geoff

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2010, 08:55:33 pm »
             Two years ago stuck in the US with the wrong mobile phone but had the laptop and switched straight onto Skype. Was able to speak to our home phone for 2.7 cents per minute. Probably saved me heaps and was able to talk to other Skype users for free. I believe it is still much the same so check the link.
            Ownership of Skype has changed in recent times so who knows how long the good thing will last.

http://www.skype.com/intl/en/prices/
Local Area Network in Australia - the LAN down under.

Offline ayyon2157

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2010, 03:44:56 pm »
Thanks everybody!  The topic is now well covered in my mind.

ayyon2157
William H. Michaels

anything