Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Ducks love muck and water  (Read 2551 times)

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
Ducks love muck and water
« on: March 14, 2008, 11:25:01 am »
I have a turtle pool that I use as an extra place for the ducks to swim.  They love this pool, when there is fresh water in it (and that is pretty regularly, they get it so mucky so fast), the Khaki Campbells come running over.  They watch me with the hose and as soon as there is a little bit of water, they are diving into it.  The Muscovys like the pool water too, but not nearly as much as the Khakis.  When I empty the water it has always spilled everywhere and was wasted.  So  thought, why not build like a dam around it, and then it will be contained, they will have even more muck to stick their bills into, and they do!!!  The love that soft mucky stuff.  I also put on top of the dam a whole bunch of dirt that had masses of clover growing on top of it.  When I took the shovel and started to dig the clover patches out, it was so simple, because the soil is so damp, the clover patches (and weeds in there too) came up in like 2 foot patches and I could just place it on top of the dam I built, the clover roots will go into the soft dirt below and it will be a very pretty little area, always well moistened by the draining of the duck pond.

The Khaki Campbells love to dig into dirt everywhere with their funny little bills, I love to watch them and they love to work the dirt, getting the bugs, and probably lots of young baby slugs too, yeah!!!!  Have a beautiful and wonderful day, love this life we are all livin'.  Cindi

The big Muscovy that you see there is Whoppo, the drake who I have had several fights with, trying to teach him that I am boss of these chickenyards, not him.  Thank goodness he hisses so loudly that I can hear him coming for a long ways away, he is finally getting the idea that I am the boss, not him, hee, hee.   What a cranky dude, and he is only 6 months old now.  Eeeks, when will he ever learn?  He would make a lovely dinner, but I need him for the other 5 ducks that will provide many babies for us to raise, hee, hee.

The Khaki Campbell duck with her face buried half way into the muck, searching for bugs and stuff

There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
Re: Ducks love muck and water
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2008, 12:46:20 am »
Here Whoppo, get in this here roasting bag, look, your favorite, butter and onions!!!

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2008, 01:23:48 am »
JP you are a naughty one!  Cindi, I can just hear the tktktktwhh of the duck in the watery mud & hissing of the muscovy!!  They sure do like playing in the gook!  Runner ducks are fun to watch too, they are really good for slugs.

Jody
I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2008, 01:56:41 am »
Jody, we had runners too, but they all got killed by some kind of predator in a pen they were in.  Angi seemed to think that they were a cross between something and an Indian Runner because they were not as vertical as the runners.  I agree with her, after researching what the runners look like, they didn't look exactly the same.  The picture shows the two black runners, (a drake and a duck) and two Roen ducks that the drake mated with, hence an even more crossed breed).  They were freaks though, so unfriendly and scared of humans.  The ducks are so wonderful to have around, I love them to pieces, even Whoppo, he has a beautiful side to him too, have a great and wonderful day, Cindi

There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

anything