Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Do Varroa mites live on anything other then bees?  (Read 3766 times)

Offline Greg Peck

• House Bee
    • GregsBees.com
Do Varroa mites live on anything other then bees?
« on: September 14, 2008, 10:54:43 pm »
I was just wondering it Varroa mites are strictly a honey bee problem or can they cause problems with other animals such as chickens? One of my bee yards is located on a property which has free range chickens. When I told the land owner that I was getting rid of mites from the hives using apigaurd she inquired as to whether or not the apigaurd killed the mites or if it just got them out of the hive and if so would the mites possibly find a new home on her chickens. I told her that I thought that the mites were only a bee problem but thought I would put up a post to see if I was right. Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks
"Your fire arms are useless against them" - Chris Farley in Tommy Boy
Semper Fi
www.gregsbees.com www.secondfast.com/gregsworkshop/ www.secondfast.com/bees

Offline Gena

• New Bee
Re: Do Varroa mites live on anything other then bees?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2008, 12:10:15 am »
Greg- Chickens get lice- don't know about mites.  My chickens used to get lice but I gave them a 1cc shot of Ivomec (cattle wormer) and they're not supposed to ever get them again.  The mites and lice she is thinking of are carried and transferred by birds.  My hives are right next to my chicken shed - as a wind break - been there for almost 5 years - no transfer I've ever noticed.  Gena

Offline randydrivesabus

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2008, 06:53:14 am »
i would think that the chickens would eat the mites.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2008, 10:44:45 am »
Randy, agreed, I bet the chickens could really pick out that shiny burgundy colour of the mites easily, they are always picking and scratching at their bodies, fluffing up their feathers to do it.

Varroa mites are a bee parasite.  Lice are a chicken parasite.  I don't think the two can equate to each other.  Horses and other mammals get lice, they are not the same as chicken lice.  I don't think that any varroa mites would find the hemolymph of the barnyard critters as very yummy, they like bees.  Beautiful day, most wonderful days, love life. Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2008, 11:17:45 am »
regardeless, apiguard kills mites.
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

Offline Sean Kelly

• Field Bee
  • I Pick; Therefore I Grin
    • Sean's Facebook Page
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2008, 12:17:45 pm »
I agree with Cindi, I don't think there's any way possible a Varroa could survive off a chicken or anything else since they feed on honeybee larvae.  The varroa is pretty dependent of the honeybee life cycle for it's existence.  Now it could be possible they might infect wasps, hornets, yellowjackets, bumble bees, or other insects for that matter, but not birds or mammals.

Sean Kelly
"My son,  eat  thou honey,  because it is good;  and the honeycomb,  which is sweet  to thy taste"          - Proverbs 24:13

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2008, 09:51:58 pm »
Just bees.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Greg Peck

• House Bee
    • GregsBees.com
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2008, 11:41:19 pm »
Thank you everyone for your responses. I will let her know, and maybe charge her for all the chicken food lol.
"Your fire arms are useless against them" - Chris Farley in Tommy Boy
Semper Fi
www.gregsbees.com www.secondfast.com/gregsworkshop/ www.secondfast.com/bees

Offline MrILoveTheAnts

• Field Bee
    • Biodiverse Gardens
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2008, 11:59:42 pm »
I believe they are only a problem for bees. They are found in Bumblebee hives as well but don't cause any problems.

anything