Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Intro: NewBee from Western Montana (MT) USA!  (Read 3693 times)

Offline aartiana

• New Bee
    • AarTiana's Blog
Intro: NewBee from Western Montana (MT) USA!
« on: March 26, 2010, 09:06:21 pm »
Hello!  While looking around the Forum, I have yet to find others here in Western Montana (or Montana at all).  I realize that beekeeping is something that can rely on geographical and weather conditions - however, in any case, I am here to learn!

We hope to attend a class about 2 1/2 hours away and make a top bar hive this Spring.  Then, we also hope to catch a swarm - or if we are lucky, to have the bees find us.  I don't really want to "buy" bees, since we are not doing this for the honey, we want to help bring the bee population back to normal :-)  Looking forward to interacting here!

Offline Highlandsfreedom

• House Bee
    • Organic gardening and Bee Services.
Re: Intro: NewBee from Western Montana (MT) USA!
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2010, 01:11:59 am »
Welcome to the forum.  Yes I prefer to "get" bees as to buying bees too.  If your close enough to a bigger town I would use craigslist if its a smaller town then you know about word of mouth.  If you want to you could use some lemongrass oil or you could buy some pheramone from am online place to help lure bees to your new TB hive.  Thats dedacation to drive 2.5 hrs for a class you are also tapped into "THE WORLD FAMOUS BEEMASTER.COMM FORUM!!!"
To bee or not to bee that is the question I wake up to answer that every morning...

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2010, 10:56:56 am »
AarTiana, welcome to our forum, wonderful that you found us.  You are striving for a wonderful thing, that be, to bring the bee population back up, that is just great.  You will eventually get your bees, one way or another, getting them free would be such a big bonus.  Dedication to travel over two hours to take some classes, good on ya!!!

You will find that once you get bees (well, probably even before that), you will be held deeply beneath that spell of the honeybee.  It is a powerful thing, people that keep bees know exactly what I mean.  You will feel excitement when you begin to study about them, and the more you understand their secret little life, the more you will be compelled to learn.  And your hands will itch to get bees, to work with them, to get to know them, up and personal, you wait, you will see.  In the meantime, stick around, we love new members.  We are here for you.  Any questions that you may have, we are only those few keystrokes away.  Ask questions, that is how we all learn.  Have that most wonderful and beautiful day, of love and health.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline aartiana

• New Bee
    • AarTiana's Blog
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2010, 09:19:03 pm »
Thank you for your warm welcome here, and I found another here who is not far from me, which is great!

Our enrollment is verified for this class that is in Kalispell at the end of this month, we are excited indeed!  Since I can't link the post, it is on bigskybee DOT com, and it is the March 21, 2010 listing.

We are definitely in the information-collecting stage now - thanks again!!

Offline CVBees

• House Bee
  • secondchanceapiary@gmail
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2010, 10:29:04 am »
OH sister beek you will always be in the information collecting stage I hope you don't mind it.. 8)  I know what you mean though I have been reading and puttering around these boards for a year and half and finally am getting some bees this year.  Congrats on your decision to dive into the micro world of Apis Malifica.  I hear you have pretty country up there..  welcome and look forward to hearing from you

CV Bees
Bees are the key to life as we know it.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2010, 12:21:19 am »
Aartiana, that I must say is a beautiful handle, don't know why it is so appealing to me, but I must say this thing, and say that to you.  Beauty.  Love our life, our life of love, health, and most beautiful things.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline aartiana

• New Bee
    • AarTiana's Blog
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2010, 12:44:02 am »
Oh (blushes) thanks so much Cindi!  Well, that is a story hehe!  AarTiana arrived in my consciousness as a joining of my children's names, and to use it for business (crochet) in the mid-1990's.  Then, everyone thought that was my name and started calling me that, so I just went with it.  Later, when I still lived in North Carolina, an amazing henna artist from India asked me if I knew what my name meant, and of course I didn't know, since it was formed differently.  She told me "aarti" is the holder of the light, which is also what they call a lamp.  So, that prompted me to look up the rest ("ana") and it relates to both Danu (the Irish Mother Goddess of the Tuatha de Danaan), as well as to the name Hannah, which means "gift" and of course I liked ALL of these!!  So weirdly, in 2005 here in Montana, because of other projects, I had this translated into Sindarin Elvish from JRR Tolkien's work - Calantirniel.  The meaning is: The (female) Guardian of the Gift of Light (and that can refer to light itself, or to starlight, and again, I like both)!!
« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 02:55:33 pm by aartiana »

Offline Yappy

• House Bee
  • "Your darnest Questions, get the best Advice"
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2010, 02:16:32 am »
Hi, Welcome to the forum! :-D
Great to have more Top-Bar Hive r's .
I am new TBH owner and will be getting 2 Nucs in May, waiting, reading and waitin..
Hope you post your progress, too. :evil:

... Rob

Offline KD4MOJ

• Field Bee
  • Bees... Motorcycles... amateur radio...
    • TangleWood Apiary
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2010, 09:45:56 am »
Great to have more Top-Bar Hive r's .

Yep Rob I'm about to be a TBH'er as well. About to build my first TBH.

...DOUG
KD4MOJ

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2010, 11:35:04 am »
Aartiana, no need to blush, smiling that big smil -- that description that you gave did nothing but fill me full of good feelings, all beautiful, right from the combining of the names of your children, right down to the different descriptions, beautiful and most wonderful, thank you for taking that time to share with us, what your handle depicts.  Have that most beautiful day, of love, health and joy.  Cindi

Offline aartiana

• New Bee
    • AarTiana's Blog
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2010, 03:00:28 pm »
OH, thanks for the follow-up note Cindi!  You ROCK! :-)  And, as for TBH's, I have been watching the tutorial videos here, very awesome!  I also discovered our local health food store carries raw honeycomb and unprocessed beeswax that comes from the local organic hives here - so I know what I will be using for the finishing as well as to attract bees!  I will also get some lemongrass essential oil, just in case! ;-)

The beekeeping class is coming up soon (the 24th), and we are excited, especially now that it is finally warming up (and it is actually early in MT for this type of weather).  I do hope this excellent weather lasts!

anything