Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: beetle populations  (Read 3776 times)

Offline rober

• Field Bee
beetle populations
« on: September 28, 2012, 11:48:03 am »
anyone seeing a rise in beetle populations. i have a lot more than i did last year. still controlable but noticably larger numbers. i wonder if the mild winter made a difference?

Offline mikecva

• Field Bee
Re: beetle populations
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2012, 12:49:58 pm »
I have not had any in a few years (knock on wood). I sprinkle a can of pepper around the hive twice a year. I am not sure if that helps with the beetles but it works well for aunts.  -Mike
Listen to others but make your own decisions. That way you own the results.
Please remember to read labels.

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2012, 02:09:10 pm »
This year I went from killing thousands in every hive to some hives with no beetles and very few in the other. I am hoping my SSB and STB (screen top and bottom with oil pan boards) are making a dent in the population.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2012, 03:58:59 pm »
About the same to a little less as past years.

Offline Bee Curious

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2012, 06:31:10 pm »
I have not had any in a few years (knock on wood). I sprinkle a can of pepper around the hive twice a year. I am not sure if that helps with the beetles but it works well for aunts.  -Mike

Mike,
What kind of pepper--black/red? 

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2012, 08:47:52 pm »
Mike would you like me to send you some.  I don't have as many as last year either.

Joe

Offline duck

• House Bee
    • Big Thicket Bees
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2012, 07:14:07 pm »
they have been steadily falling off since the summer.  I will find a few on inspections.  This year was bad.  Hundreds in the traps in every hive in the summer.  I lost alot of cutouts and swarms.  Next year I have something for them.  By the way, another beek here who has fought them all year is pouring bottles of liquid dish soap on the ground around hives and watering it in.  Seems as its having an effect.

Offline Dimmsdale

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2012, 09:26:54 pm »
I didn't see one beetle last season.  This season, I didn't see any until about late July.  Now I'm smashing 10-20 beetles on the inner cover when I open the hives.  Having not had much experience with them, I wonder how many beetles are considered a problem?  All of the hives are very strong and I tend to only see them on the inner cover when I take a peek in.  What would be a number that I should start getting concerned at?  I guess I'm gonna have to place some traps next season.

Offline Hemlock

• Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2012, 10:21:55 pm »
Around here we're getting beat up by those darned beetles.  I've never seen populations like this.  We all blame the light Winter last year.  Thee bees are handling them but i've never owned as many traps as i now need. 
Make Mead!

Offline rober

• Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2012, 11:26:52 am »
i've been spreading diatamatheous earth under the stands.  also someone mentioned on another thread that they used butter flavored crisco for beetle bait. i had spme butter flavored cooking spray that someone gave me & i never used it ( & never will ). whwn i put the inserts into my screened bottom boards to test for mites there were a lot of dead beetles on the boards. i never use that type of stuff to cook & after seeing this i'm definitely never going to cook with it.

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2012, 12:13:24 pm »
I've been spreading diatamatheous earth under the stands.  also someone mentioned on another thread that they used butter flavored crisco for beetle bait. i had spme butter flavored cooking spray that someone gave me & i never used it ( & never will ). whwn i put the inserts into my screened bottom boards to test for mites there were a lot of dead beetles on the boards. i never use that type of stuff to cook & after seeing this i'm definitely never going to cook with it.
Dead beetles seems to say that the bees are learning how to catch and bite these boogers. I see the same thing in my OB hive. a lot of dead beetles in the bottom tray. If the bees can get them off a wall they curl up and try to bite them.
There is no oil in this tray to kill them.
I do find live ones but that just means that the bees kicked them out of the hive.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

anything