Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: When is too windy???  (Read 3931 times)

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
When is too windy???
« on: April 10, 2005, 04:58:44 pm »
I just came from visiting the girls. This is what the weather service is saying;

Lubbock International Airport
Last Update on Apr 10, 2:53 pm CDT

A Few Clouds and Windy

70°F
(21°C)    
Humidity:    10 %
Wind Speed:    SW 26 G 31 MPH
Barometer:    29.63" (999.5 mb)
Dewpoint:    12°F (-11°C)
Visibility:    10.00 mi.

Note the wind speed. I looked to the East and could see bees coming in from as far as I could see the little critters. Still seemed to have plenty of speed against the wind. And they say 25 mph is shut down time for bees.
Latest Update;

Lubbock International Airport
Last Update on Apr 10, 3:53 pm CDT

A Few Clouds and Breezy

69°F
(21°C)    
Humidity:    11 %
Wind Speed:    W 24 G 32 MPH
Barometer:    29.64" (999.8 mb)
Dewpoint:    13°F (-11°C)
Visibility:    10.00 mi.
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline Lesli

• House Bee
When is too windy???
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2005, 06:06:13 pm »
Maybe it's less windy right where you are. :) I live in a valley, so wind speed reported from 20 miles away means little
Lesli

Offline bill

• House Bee
the wind
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2005, 09:02:07 pm »
well we had some very strong winds here today. I got my two queens friday and made up one nuc yesterday but I still had to make another one today, plus install a new bottom on my hive that I have been trying to get up the nerve to do all spring well first I thought I would go out without the jacket and veil and just get the stuff I would need together. well the wind wasnt too bad at that time but I decided to go ahead and take the super off and put it in a cover on the ground put the lid back on and then go get the jacket and veil and break down the hive. I wasn't thinking too good since they have cooperated a lot lately and let me walk around them and all . I  got over confident so I unstuck the super and tried to put it in the cover but I didnt realize that I had had a missing frame  and they had built a new comb from the bottom of one of the super framesthat flapped out the side, and it wouldnt go in the top. I actually thought it was a frame in the super that had came loose or something. anyway I took too long and the whole tribe came after me. Now I hadn't ran in about two years, but I found I could still do a hundred yard dash pretty quick. well I got in and let them calm down about an hour. then I went out with the bee jacket, smoker and gloveswell I seperated the hive bodies, made the nucs. all in at least a forty mile and hour wind.I couldn't find the queen so I hope she was not on one of the brood frames I used. I got about five or six stings but I am getting used to that now. The wind is also blowing my tomato cages out of the ground.  so I have had a good day. and it is still blowing.
billiet

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
When is too windy???
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2005, 11:16:10 pm »
I got the page set for Wolfforth. If I place a Lubbock zip I get slightly different info. It was blowing pretty good, that's why I went back there to see if any hives were being pushed around.
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline firetool

• House Bee
When is too windy???
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2005, 09:15:58 am »
Hi Lesli,
 I used to leave out where Jerry does! Where he is and this whole area is flat as a pancake. Their is not much to slow the wind down.

Brian

Offline Bruce Hanson

• House Bee
WINDY WINDY
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2005, 10:26:49 am »
You hav'nt seen anything till you go to the Dakota's and feel the wind where the state tree, the telephone pole is the only thing to block it.Bees learn to fly two foot above the ground or else be blown miles from home.

Offline photokid

• New Bee
when it's windy
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2005, 01:37:09 pm »
Too windy is when it's windy. I prefer to wait for sunny, windless days. One time, the second time out there ever, it was windy. I could barely pull out a frame without it banging into the sides, and bees were being blown off. After one frame, I left the hive alone, put everything back and called it a day.

anything