Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Capped Brood Problems??? Not sure what's happening....  (Read 5891 times)

Offline MsCarol

• House Bee
Re: Capped Brood Problems??? Not sure what's happening....
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2014, 10:27:53 am »
Hmmmmmm???

You don't suppose that you are observing CCD??

You have a hive that appears to bee busy, but there will come a day when all the older bees will get old and die off. As they are likely close to the same age their demise will likely be within a day or two.

As all you can do is keep observing.....take notes and pics. This could be an education for all of us.

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2014, 03:51:41 pm »
carol, with ccd the adults leave and never come back.

moots, have you thought about adding a frame of capped brood from a healthy hive to see if they do the same thing? 

Moots

« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2014, 09:01:24 pm »

moots, have you thought about adding a frame of capped brood from a healthy hive to see if they do the same thing? 

10framer,
No, I had not!  But I think that's a pretty interesting idea.   If I can find some down time, I might give that a try.  Unfortunately, I"m pretty jammed up time wise for the next couple of weeks. 

I'll either give that a try or just let it run its course and see what happens!

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2014, 12:37:14 am »
Moots,
Last night I put a nuc in my home made ulster OH to do a school bee presentation.  It has a open screen bottom and an 3/4" opening with an adjustable open/screen/QE devise. I put the OH on my bar top to have it ready for the presentation. Late last night the bees were running and started removing open brood from their cells. My wife pointed out that the entrance was packed with bees behind the screen.  I realized that putting it on the bar directly caused it to be sealed air tight. I raised it up on the 4 corners and after a while they calmed.
I recommend you check out how much  ventilation on your Oh.   I am pretty sure this is what happened to my large OH. The bees  had closed up the top vents during the winter and I noticed when I cleaned it out that they did open one of them. Maybe too late.  I think the dead bees blocked the feeder entrance and the main entrance, blocking most of the air flow.
Let me know if this could bee your problem also.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

anything