Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Screwed up on installing package...OOOPS and HELP  (Read 2476 times)

Offline sandhya

• New Bee
  • March 2007 Rakkasah Festival
Screwed up on installing package...OOOPS and HELP
« on: April 28, 2007, 08:11:05 pm »
Help (I cross posted this in case someone sees in on another forum) :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
well, long story short, and because I am a spaz I wount get into how it happened, spilt milk, cant unring a bell, or close the bard door after the horse.. :-X.you get my point...well here ya go...
My queen was like  :mrgreen: "so out of here" when I installed a package today. I will not elaborate, lets just say, since this was my first package, and I am pablam fed installing nuks...like watching a favorite christmas ornament break, my queen flew off when the cork, well, you know...umm, well, lets just say by the time I realized the wrong cork was being removed, she knew it and flew out of her cage. :?

Now,
question number 1
What are the chances she stayed close by and did not fly to hong kong. And will stay close the hive and will retreat in there as she watches everyone else this afternoon, (I know, no one has a crystal ball)  :(

and question number 2
if I dont see any comb being drawn by the gals by say Monday (This is Saturday) should I just go ahead and put a new queen in there (of course cage and all - hello) assuming Queen said, Hell yes and flew away today.

just a couple questions.
Be Well,
Sandy "Sandhya"
I believe if we give of ourselves, we will live forever.

Offline sandhya

• New Bee
Re: Screwed up on installing package...OOOPS and HELP
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2007, 10:55:21 pm »
someone stated I needed to elaborate...well, you see it went something like this :roll: wrong stopper, bee flew out, bee gone.
I was hunched over the hive getting ready to hang the cage.
I am sure this is not a new phenom, but I feel like such a failure...
news to follow.  :-\
Be Well,
Sandy "Sandhya"

Offline jimmyo

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2007, 10:57:00 pm »
It wouldnt hurt to wait a day then have a look. You can order a new queen after you find out for sure that she's gone.
Let us know how it goes for you.
Jim

Offline sandhya

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2007, 12:13:06 am »
quess what...saw her today...of course I had to quickly take the NEW queen cage out....that I had put in last night...at least she was still alive and kicking and they didnt even start to hit the candy...so the original package is alive and well, and I guess just now (that the weather finally cleared) starting to put their home together..

put new queen in home hive, took out the wild queen. And then I put the OTHER (I bought 2 new queens) in a nuke with a frame of bee's from the home hive..(split the weak home hive)

then I took old wild  queen out to the wild with a couple workers to see if they would do anything..didnt have the heart to kill her (I know I am a dork)...
even if they dont find a home they have been put back out to the wild... :lol:
Be Well,
Sandy "Sandhya"

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2007, 11:01:11 am »
hope you at lest gal the old queen enough bee's to equal the size of a soft ball, if not they probably want make it, you could have just made another nuc to put her in, anytime you get a extra queen see if someone else might need it but that is totally up to you, just IMHO!!!
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic