Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: drawing comb  (Read 1796 times)

Offline wtiger

• House Bee
drawing comb
« on: July 24, 2007, 04:25:07 pm »
I had a quick question about bees reluctant to draw comb.  Or at least not drawing it all that fast.  My two hives are in 1 medium each and slowly working on a second.  They were drawing comb on foundationless frames quickly and beautifully earlier this year, but now they seem to want to draw a lot of funky comb.  For example anywhere there is honey without fully drawn frame next to it they seem to want to just keep on growing the honey frame.  Is there anything I can do besides trim the excess off and cut out anything that is funky periodically and be patient until they finish the other frames?

The hives had a good start then seemed to slow down for a while, but they seem to really be picking up speed and building their population lately.  They're also building up stores fairly rapidly now.  At least compared to what they were.  Instead of just the odd honey ring above the brood, the outer frames and anything that's brand new they seem to rapidly be filling in with honey until the next over is drawn then they move most of the honey and the queen starts laying in the frame that previously had all honey/nectar.

On the plus side of trimming and directing their efforts I get to sample their honey and what I read on the forum is correct, fresh, unprocessed honey is fantastic.  It tastes like mostly clover honey and they seem to always have an abundant supply of it to forage.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: drawing comb
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2007, 05:20:27 pm »
one of my hives did the same.  i had used starter strips on all frames in the second super.  i put in a couple of frames of full foundation and that straightened them out.  once they got the idea of drawing straight comb on and beside the full sheet, they drew the rest of the box straight.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2007, 09:11:34 pm »
With or without foundation, they often draw combs out very thick for honey and often this is uneven on the outside.  I just wait for them to cap it and harvest it.  Once you've cut the comb down even with the wood it will be flat again.  :)
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2007, 09:12:18 am »
For me, they seem to draw the foundationless somewhat wavey.  They can't do that with foundation...
Rick

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2007, 10:50:51 pm »
>They can't do that with foundation...

Au contraire.  They do it all the time.  The mid rib might be straight with foundation (if it doesn't get hot and warp as it usually does with wax) but the outside will still be wavy if it's honey.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything