Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Pictures of My TBH  (Read 4111 times)

Offline Beesilly

• New Bee
    • Dragon Bees
Pictures of My TBH
« on: March 27, 2008, 05:34:40 pm »
Lots of 'before&after' pictures of my TBH....http://www.dragonbees.blogspot.com I painted it! Looks pretty good! I'm excited about my bees, that are coming in 23 days! Hope ya all have a great night!
Beesilly

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Pictures of My TBH
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2008, 06:11:49 pm »
nice painting!  :-)  you also have a nice site.  post it down in the members blog section also.  i'm sure you'll get many hits.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline ooptec

• House Bee
    • Beginners foray into TBH's in Canada
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2008, 07:56:05 pm »
Cool,

Hope you have 1/100 the fun I had last year which was also my first and also TBH

Check out mine at the ooptectbh link under signature.

First year for bees, first trap hive out of chimney and three different TBH designs ..... it was a good year.   lol

Now pacing a hole in floor waiting for some nice weather to press 'go' again.

cheers

peter

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2008, 11:00:00 pm »
I would suggest one thing. Many members here have a way of unloading bees from a package cage thats a little different than what you are describing. I would check out Beemaster downloadable and video links from youtube for how he does that technique. Also, you spray enough syrup to coat the outside of the wire cage intitially, so they can feed. You will see their little tongues lapping up syrup rehydrating and getting food. Many also use Honey-b-healthy in their syrup as well . And yes I am excited for you. I still remember my first hive too. good luck!
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

Offline Beesilly

• New Bee
    • Dragon Bees
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2008, 01:38:21 am »
Thanks for the replies! I did post it in the Member websites and blog section. I will check out yours Peter. Thanks for the tips Konasdad!
Beesilly

Offline DennisB

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2008, 11:43:57 am »
Beesilly,

Great job on the TBH. You ought to be proud. Did you make it from anyones plans? I built one this past winter as well and am waitiing to do a split to put the bees in. I like the concept.

DennisB

PS Your painting job is super.

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2008, 12:31:58 pm »
Nice job.

If you find that your plywood roof doesn't hold up in the weather (I never have luck with it), I find a piece of metal roofing works quite well.  Very light and also provides some ventilation above the top bars when the sun is beating on it.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2008, 11:20:20 pm by Robo »
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Beesilly

• New Bee
    • Dragon Bees
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2008, 01:10:34 am »
Hey thanks all!
I used the plans from §¤«£¿æ.com. Pretty simple to make!
Thanks for the metal roof tip, Robo!
Beesilly

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2008, 07:59:41 am »
>2)Spray with syrup until moist.

Don't get them too wet with syrup.  Just get the screen wet and let them clean it up.  Sticky bees are a sad sight.

>5)Spray more syrup if you want

Always good to make sure they are not hungry when you go to install them and they will fly less when sprayed.

>10)Take the cork out. Put a mini marshmallow in if there is not one in it. Stick a small nail through the hole GENTLY, do not poke queen! Helps bees eat candy away faster.

There are a lot of different kinds of queen cages.  So adjust as needed.  A typical wood one has a candy end and a cork end.  The smaller (and newer) California cages are wood but have no candy and may or may not come with a candy tube.  A plastic JZBZ cage will probably come with candy, but if it doesn't you can use the marshmallow in the tube end.

>11)Suspend the queen between bars 4&5, the nail on top of the bars. (Or wrap wire around the bar)

I'd direct release her.  You almost always end up with some messed up comb from hanging her in the hive, and in a top bar hive they will repeat that on every bar.

>12)Put half of the bars in, leaving the other half open to dump bees in.

This is how I usually do it too.  But it might be less scary for you to put the open package at one end, and, if you're going to hang the queen anyway, hang her where you want the cluster and wait for them to move out on their own.  Then come back and put in the follower and release the queen.

>16)Put plywood back on and take deep breath.

You might want to take few more earlier too.  :)

My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline DennisB

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2008, 03:46:29 pm »
Hey Michael,

I have read on some other TBH forums about different ways to do a split from a Lang to a TBH. Have you ever done this and just how did you do it? Maybe this should be under a new post.

Thanks,

DennisB

Offline Brent

• New Bee
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2008, 01:22:38 am »
this is my site you can see my 1st hive I built and a video of me hiving my 1st swarm. Thanks.... yea well I tried. I'm not a spammer!  google clark's homestead and look for " an atempt to become more self sufficient" enjoy. I guess this will be my last visit to this site since I'm restricted.

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2008, 06:53:34 am »
Brent, send your link to a moderator and they'll post it.  Until you've got a sufficient number of posts (no one knows what that number is) you can't post links here - keeps the spammers at bay!

Offline Beesilly

• New Bee
    • Dragon Bees
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2008, 02:39:31 pm »
>11)Suspend the queen between bars 4&5, the nail on top of the bars. (Or wrap wire around the bar)

I'd direct release her.  You almost always end up with some messed up comb from hanging her in the hive, and in a top bar hive they will repeat that on every bar.

I read that if you do direct release her, she needs to be in the package for at least 3 days to get the surrounding bees used to her smell, and not kill her. Since I'm getting my bees from Betterbee, they said...'Our packaged bees are trucked in from Georgia in eighteen hours. (They go from their hive in Georgia to your hive in less than 2 days.) That means less stress; thus fewer stressed and dead bees than those you get through the post office.'
Less than 2 days... if that enough time for the workers to get used to the queen?

Now I have to wait 21 more days until I pick the bees up, instead of 14 days; because of some weather problem thing. AHHKK! Are they trying to drive the new beekeepers crazy?  :? :-D

Have a great day!
Beesilly

anything