Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Why mark queens?  (Read 31846 times)

Offline luvin honey

• Super Bee
Re: Why mark queens?
« Reply #80 on: July 13, 2010, 12:00:16 pm »

This queen has lived for ages without getting any problems with her health.  She was born in 1926, and has thus got a white dot.  I'm really glad for this dot.  Without it, it would be pretty difficult to find her in the UK I guess.  No swarming so far either.
Spewing tea!  :lol:
The pedigree of honey
Does not concern the bee;
A clover, any time, to him
Is aristocracy.
---Emily Dickinson

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #81 on: July 13, 2010, 12:09:47 pm »
 :lau:
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #82 on: July 13, 2010, 04:55:46 pm »
Here is a real queen in more than one way......

http://bohemianeden.files.wordpress.com/2009/09/freddie-mercury2.jpg
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

Offline Livefreeordie

• House Bee
« Reply #83 on: July 13, 2010, 08:03:40 pm »
Here is a real queen in more than one way......

http://bohemianeden.files.wordpress.com/2009/09/freddie-mercury2.jpg

Didn't know it at the time, but I never liked those guys, must have been a good reading on the gaydar that caused that. There is some justice though, his chosen lifestyle killed him.
When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~ Thomas Jefferson ~

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
« Reply #84 on: July 13, 2010, 08:15:39 pm »

Didn't know it at the time, but I never liked those guys, must have been a good reading on the gaydar that caused that. There is some justice though, his chosen lifestyle killed him.

I just have to say, that is some comment from someone named LIVE FREE OR DIE - wow!! I don't agree with a lot in this world, but I don't wish DEATH nor think they have it coming to them with  anyone because of their lifestyle choices, that's a bit twisted to me - I don't think in my God Fearing World that I have the right to judge anyone to that extreme! SAD.
NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline Livefreeordie

• House Bee
« Reply #85 on: July 13, 2010, 08:27:20 pm »

I just have to say, that is some comment from someone named LIVE FREE OR DIE - wow!! I don't agree with a lot in this world, but I don't wish DEATH nor think they have it coming to them with  anyone because of their lifestyle choices, that's a bit twisted to me - I don't think in my God Fearing World that I have the right to judge anyone to that extreme! SAD.

That is the thing Beemaster, I don't say you have to believe as I do, and you are entitled to the way you think. I didn't wish for his death, but I do feel it fitting because of what I believe to be a disgusting lifestyle choice. I also don't think it is anyones business how they live in their own closets. But I will NOT be told I have to accept something I believe is abhorrent, and will judge according to MY belief's. I believe when people stopped judging behavior it was the start of the decline of our nation. Notice not once did I try to force you to my belief's, the Live Free or Die comes in there, and you can live free, but judgment by me or anyone else is going to be nothing compared to what I believe is coming for them. I am also not a religious fanatic, just steadfast in what I believe, yet I do not try to force my beliefs on anyone else, but speak them just as anyone else has the right to do, from the other side even.
When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~ Thomas Jefferson ~

Offline CountryBee

• House Bee
« Reply #86 on: July 13, 2010, 09:28:54 pm »
He did have a great voice, probably the best.  Was he marked?  Probably.  I don't mark my queens.... :-D you never ever know....

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #87 on: July 13, 2010, 09:57:41 pm »
don't you know that you can only express your beliefs if you don't offend someone??   :evil:  man, am i in trouble.  oh well.....

to bad we have gotten to the point in this country where we can only express approved beliefs!  the man died because he chose to have unprotected sex with multiple partners when HIV was at it's peak in the gay community. he also probably contributed to spreading the disease in both the gay and straight community.  that was indeed his choice, and a bad one.

loved the music though.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline melliphile

• House Bee
« Reply #88 on: July 13, 2010, 11:03:24 pm »
I know many, many people who have died because they would not control their diet. I would say that they died because of their choices. Lifestyle choices. If I said that it was justice served, that would be in very poor taste. Those people's live were much much more than that.
Kind of like how this whole thread started. Not so much about marking queens or Freddy Mercury, but the acerbic tone.  You are free to express beliefs. You are free to reject others. But when you speak of someones death in such a way, you show a lack of decorum. No crime in that , just kind of sad for you...

I do not mark my queens. That being said, I believe it to be a tool, just like bee escapes and entrance reducers. Used wisely, marking has its time and place.
"Never discourage anyone who continually makes progress, no matter how slow." -Plato

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #89 on: July 13, 2010, 11:26:32 pm »
we are the sum total of our choices.  so said my father when i made some bad ones.   ;)  i don't wish those who make bad choices, ill.  unfortunately, when people make bad choices they rarely impact only themselves.  don't see any point in dancing around that.

Offline Livefreeordie

• House Bee
« Reply #90 on: July 14, 2010, 12:11:19 am »
When it comes to self destructive behavior, I give no quarter and ask for none as well. My beliefs are just that, my beliefs, and some may think it sad, I consider it reality.

I don't have any queens yet, so marking is still something to consider, at this point I am leaning toward no, and learn to identify what I need to through observation.....just the way I do with everything... ;)

Offline CountryBee

• House Bee
« Reply #91 on: July 14, 2010, 07:32:07 am »
Aren't they called the 7 deadly sins for a reason?  I got to see one of my queens the other day and she crawled right on top of the frame to say hi and then went back down.  I didn't even have to pull the frames, amazing!  I never had one do that before.  I was adding a medium super on top of my 2 deeps (without an excluder) :)

Offline winginit

• House Bee
« Reply #92 on: July 14, 2010, 08:12:32 am »
Not to fan the fire, but I find that when I am being judgmental, if I spend some time looking inward, it's usually based on an inner insecurity.  :evil:

Offline Livefreeordie

• House Bee
« Reply #93 on: July 14, 2010, 08:54:18 am »
Not to fan the fire, but I find that when I am being judgmental, if I spend some time looking inward, it's usually based on an inner insecurity.  :evil:

I think that is an oft used piece of psychobabble to get people NOT to judge, doesn't work with me. I am secure and sure of my path, and couldn't care less if anyone else is on it or not. :-*

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #94 on: July 14, 2010, 11:15:19 am »
it's not my job or desire to judge the individual.  it is my job and duty to evaluate behavior and decide if it is something that i want to accept or reject.  we can love the person, but reject the behavior.  even if we love the person, if they engage in destructive behavior we may need to distance ourselves from the person....and the behavior.

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #95 on: July 14, 2010, 11:53:01 am »
We all judge people. We also are prejudice. It is built in to the very fabric of society, from the way we teach our children to view strangers, to the salesman that comes knocking, to the way we scan a club or social for someone to talk too, etc.

I interviewed many people for jobs. I may have their resume, but much of it comes down to a 10 minute discussion, where I need to evaluate everything from how they talk, dress, personality, etc. I need to judge them, and perhaps even use "prejudice", meaning "pre judging" based on many things, most based on stereotypes.

Some call it a "gut feeling" of why you buy from one salesman compared to another, even though the product is the same. Or why you hire one person over another. It certainly can not be because you discussed in detail every possible item to actually know a person. So you go on preconceived notions, stereotypes, experience, etc. I may not know anything about the 18 year old guy walking in with 23 piercing on his face or the complete "sleeves" inked on his arms, wearing shorts and a t-shirt. But I'm not going to hire him regardless of the 10 minutes we spent chatting.  

We judge people all the time. Without knowing anything about the person. We have preconceived notions about three dudes hanging out on the street corner, the very fat slob mother who smacks her child in walmart. The list is endless.

We also are programmed (clan mentality) to group ourselves into groups we ourselves can relate. That mere fact goes a long way in judging others. I see it with everything from biker groups, to unions.

Judging people, usually means not agreeing with something that person has done, perhaps even condemning their actions. I judge my kids actions, my friends (or ex-friend in the case of one who had a problem with young girls) and about anybody else.

Judging others, and being judged, plays into your id, ego, and super ego. It can also play a part of  sympathy, empathy, and many other intertwined emotions.

I think many "think" they do not judge, or hold preconceived notions. But I think, and lets call it my judgement on them, is that they are wrong.

With that said, I think many confuse judging, or prejudice, and confuse that with bigotry, racism, and actions that deny rights or liberties.  

Show me person who claims to be free of prejudices, or has never judged another, and my judgement of them, would be that they are not being truthful with themselves.  :-D
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #96 on: July 14, 2010, 01:49:38 pm »
>>>>With that said, I think many confuse judging, or prejudice, and confuse that with bigotry, racism, and actions that deny rights or liberties.<<<<

I agree with the total post EXCEPT the above quote.

Did you not do harm and deny rights to the kid whom you turned down in favor of a possibly less qualified, less honest, lazier person?

Prejudice is a natural trait that may well keep you alive under certain circumstances. Therefore, it is a necessity for survival. Too many people confuse self preservation with racism, bigotry, and other negative connotations.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Livefreeordie

• House Bee
« Reply #97 on: July 14, 2010, 02:36:03 pm »

Did you not do harm and deny rights to the kid whom you turned down in favor of a possibly less qualified, less honest, lazier person?

No he did not, that kid had no right to the job, it is the right of the employer to hire who he sees as the best fit for his company. The harm may have come from the kids decision to make a counter culture statement with the ink and piercings. Actions have consequences.

That is why the discussion on marking is so important, what are the consequences or pros and cons of marking? Each has to decide what will work for them, I tend to err on the side of keeping things as natural as possible, therefore, no paint for me, ....when I finally get going here.

Offline Hethen57

• House Bee
« Reply #98 on: July 14, 2010, 02:48:36 pm »
How bout them Bears?....where is a good Jolel or Finski post about their thoughts on marking queens when you need one?  :-D
-Mike

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #99 on: July 14, 2010, 05:19:51 pm »
Yeah, me and you both, Livefreeordie, I'm just pestering BJ a bit.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*