Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Brand new keeper in Washington  (Read 2483 times)

Offline Sean Kelly

• Field Bee
  • I Pick; Therefore I Grin
    • Sean's Facebook Page
Brand new keeper in Washington
« on: March 26, 2007, 12:00:44 am »
Hey all!

My name is Sean Kelly from Buckley, WA.  I'm just getting started in beekeeping and am very thankful for this forum!  Lots of great info here!

I'm 28 years old, a banjo picker, ham radio operator (w7spk), gold prospector, tanker truck driver, a husband, and father of a beautiful baby girl.  I got interested in beekeeping when I was driving semi-truck long haul through California when I saw several flatbeds hauling hives.  My old co-driver told me stories about his father's hives and how he would sneak comb when no one was looking.  I've always been a big fan of honey and use it in all my cooking.  I just ordered my beginners kit from Mann Lake and can't wait to get it all set up!  I have lots of questions so keep an eye out for more posts from me!  :-)

<><  Sean Kelly
"My son,  eat  thou honey,  because it is good;  and the honeycomb,  which is sweet  to thy taste"          - Proverbs 24:13

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
Re: Brand new keeper in Washington
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2007, 06:07:43 pm »
Welcome Sean,
I am 43 years old. My son and I (who is now 12) started beekeeping last year. We have had a good time learning together,only regret is not starting sooner.If it gets wet in your part of Washington you may want to keep a stick or twig under an edge of the lid for ventilation to keep the condensation out.Ventilation may be key in your climate.I've been reading your posts and if for some reason you don't get your bees,you may want to look for a local bee club to join or if you see a beekeeper around maybe you could buy a few frames of bees from them to get started. When beekeepers are doing splits for swarm prevention you may be able to get one reasonable.  Good luck and enjoy your new hobby. I know I am!! :)

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2007, 06:13:48 pm »
Shawn:

Thanks for the kind words, welcome to the forums from N2CIW started in 1976 I'm pretty sure, but had much pre-radio experience with Shortwave Listening.

Enjoy the GREAT resources here and participate as much as you like, lots of topics to keep you here for many hours and I hope you make use of them all :)

Best wishes and again welcome.
NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline Sean Kelly

• Field Bee
  • I Pick; Therefore I Grin
    • Sean's Facebook Page
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2007, 12:52:09 am »
Buzzbee,

Thank you for the ideas!  I saw that there's a local club near me and I think I'll take your advice and join.  Ends up that a brother of my mom's friend's husband (did that make any sense.  lol) is an avid beekeeper and just lives down the road from me.  I have his phone number and left a voice mail for him.  I'm hoping he can help me out since he's got the experience.  Great idea about the ventalation too.  I actually read that in another post here for someone in Lousiana.  Didnt even cross my mind that I should do that up here.  Not to mention it gives the girs another enterance.  :-)

Bee Master,

You spelled my name wrong!  lol  ;-)  I figured you had to be a ham radio op, you kinda look like one (we all look the same)!  j/k
I just recently upgraded to General class and hope to get on the HF bands.  But ham radio has been put on the back shelf for now.  Beekeeping is all I can think about these days.  I'm so excited and very thankful for this awesome forum!

Thanks,

Sean Kelly
"My son,  eat  thou honey,  because it is good;  and the honeycomb,  which is sweet  to thy taste"          - Proverbs 24:13