Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: New member from Lancaster County, PA  (Read 3005 times)

Offline JulieBaby

• New Bee
New member from Lancaster County, PA
« on: February 11, 2013, 01:02:11 pm »
My name is Julie and my husband, Bruce, and I recently moved from the Victorian home in a quaint, small town where we raised our children for 25 years. Our new place is in a village a few miles up the road in a more rural area. Our new house is smaller, but we have gone from a smallish, in-town backyard to 3+ acres with a large pond and a wooded area at the back. In our mid-fifties, we are building a homestead on this place. My husband grew up on a farm, so he is well acquainted with the work we are taking on. Me? Maybe not so much. We've always lived a simple and frugal life, homeschooled the kids for twenty years, doing a lot of canning and making my own detergent and stuff, but gardening and all that are new to me. I generally dislike being dirty and sweaty, but I guess I'm going to have to get used to that. We recently acquired a small flock of chickens (Golden Comets) who have pecked their way into my heart. I am very interested in learning about beekeeping and look forward to reading the things you all share.

Moots

Re: New member from Lancaster County, PA
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2013, 03:59:05 pm »
Julie,
Welcome to the forum, if you update your location in your profile it will display to the left of your post and make it easier for anyone giving advice that may be specific to your region.

I'm a newbie with bees myself, got interested a few months ago and got my first bees a little over 3 weeks ago.  I've been LOVING it!  They're fascinating little creatures, I can't get enough.

Good luck!  :)

Offline Vance G

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2013, 05:15:59 pm »
Welcome young lady.  Much to learn here and most, if not all of it is in the old threads already.  My advice is to make friends with the search function.   I would also advise finding a local bee club or long experienced beekeeper to learn from.  Local advice on many things is the best because conditions vary so much.   We have beekeepers on this forum already actively working their bees and we have beekeepers who won't see the snow around their hives gone for two months!   If you plan on keeping bees this year, it is already getting late to decide what kind of bees to get and more importantly where to acquire them. 

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2013, 07:20:17 pm »
Welcome to the forum, Julie.  Beek is addicitive. When you get into tilling and planting it can be also.  The smell of fresh plowed dirt, and eating veggies that you grow a long with the honey from your bees nothing better.  Good luck with your new adventures.

Joe

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2013, 08:40:09 pm »
Welcome Julie! You'll find that a bunch of us here are in love with our chickens too :-D Enjoy the learning process in all of your new endeavors...that might seem a little overwhelming, but it's really the best part!

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2013, 06:47:16 am »
Welcome to the forum Julie. I love that area you are in. I grew up in Levittown PA. Visited Lancaster just last year.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2013, 09:25:21 pm »
Welcome to the forum.

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2013, 09:57:52 pm »
Welcome to  the forum. Beemaster,Robo and I were in Lancaster last summer to see Jonah at the Site and Sound theatre. We had a great weekend meeting up and hanging out. We may make another trip and meet up  in the future.

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
  • Gamecock fan in UT land.
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2013, 06:14:00 pm »
Lancaster County is a beautiful place...bought quite a bit of horse drawn farm machinery there. Welcome

Offline jmblakeney

• House Bee
  • James
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2013, 08:25:03 pm »
Welcome,
I agree with the others Lancaster is a beautiful place and by the description of your new homestead, I am very envious.  I love being in the country and a small farm place is my dream.
Hope you enjoy your new hobbies and lifestyle. 

James
"I believe the best social program is a job...." - Ronald Reagan

Offline Georgia Boy

• Field Bee
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2013, 10:36:36 am »
Welcome!

I am afraid that once you start researching about bee keeping, you will be buying you first two hives.

I live on a small farm outside of Atlanta.  My wife mentioned bee keeping in November and that tweaked my interest.  Started researching and now I am waiting for my first hives to be delivered at the end of this month and my bees will be here in April.

This is addictive and I think I'll love it.

Good luck and hope you will get bees soon.   
"Give it All You've Got"
"Never give up. Never surrender."

Moots

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2013, 11:46:24 am »
Welcome!

I am afraid that once you start researching about bee keeping, you will be buying you first two hives.

I live on a small farm outside of Atlanta.  My wife mentioned bee keeping in November and that tweaked my interest.  Started researching and now I am waiting for my first hives to be delivered at the end of this month and my bees will be here in April.

This is addictive and I think I'll love it.

Good luck and hope you will get bees soon.   

We're pretty much on the same schedule...the thought popped into my head after seeing some photos of a friend of friend on facebook working his hives.  I've been wide open ever since.  Lucked out and found Bailey as a source for Medium Nucs and got real lucky when he told me he had a few Nucs ready to go if I didn't mind feeding them to finish getting through winter.  Picked them up January 12th and have been loving it ever since.  Hoping April gets here in a hurry for you, I'm anxious and excited for you!  :)

Offline Georgia Boy

• Field Bee
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2013, 12:52:50 pm »
To Moots:

Soooooooooo jealous.....  I can't stand the waiting but , I am forced to.  But time will pass quickly.  I hope.  :)

In the mean time will continue to watch videos and do research.  Hopefully it will help me not to screw up too much.

Let me know how you are getting along please.

Wishing you great luck.
"Give it All You've Got"
"Never give up. Never surrender."

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
  • Gamecock fan in UT land.
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2013, 11:26:42 pm »
That cat in your avatar must have finally passed the peach seed and the bologna string as he sure looks relieved.

anything