Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Cutout sans Beevac??  (Read 2288 times)

Offline CVBees

• House Bee
  • secondchanceapiary@gmail
Cutout sans Beevac??
« on: May 09, 2010, 06:04:07 pm »
I have been offered a cut out in a 50 y/o dairy shed.  The hive is between the walls just underneath the window.  What would be the best way to ensure queen collection without a beevac?  I was thinking, please correct me if there is a better way. 

• Cut out all comb and secure to frames and put in super
  • physically remove remaining bees with brush and dustpan
  • Leave hive over night and day for loose bee homecoming
  • I will take off the wood siding exposing the comb and bees.
Do I have to leave them if I do it close to dusk but crossing over?

I would like to make one stop and get it done.  Thoughts?
Bees are the key to life as we know it.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Cutout sans Beevac??
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2010, 06:30:50 pm »
you don't need a beevac to get the queen.   make check list of equipment.  take extra  :-D

remove comb from outside in.  i don't usually band  honey comb in. some do.  remove and band into frames the brood comb.  this is most likely where the queen will be.  sometimes she runs off, but if you work carefully and deliberately, you will usually spot her with the brood.  JP puts his queens in a clip.  i do not.  either way, as soon as you have put her into the hive you will see the bees start to move toward her.  i take the comb that has the queen and either move her into the box onto already installed brood, or set her piece of comb on top.  she'll go right down into the hive if there is brood comb in there.

most of my cutouts are to far to bother going back the next day.  if you can stay until duskish, you'll get most.  some returning foragers will go back to the old hive spot and you can keep sweeping them up.  make sure to tell the owner to get things closed up tight and that there will be a few bees hanging around for a couple of days.

anyway....spend some time readin in this if you can.  there's lots of good info.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline CVBees

• House Bee
  • secondchanceapiary@gmail
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2010, 07:01:25 pm »
Great to hear Kathy.. and somehow I knew you might reply, too nice.  The plan is to start round 5 with sundown being 745 ish.  I will post pics and story asap.  Thanks again for the encouragement Kp
Bees are the key to life as we know it.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2010, 07:07:54 pm »
and somehow I knew you might reply, too nice

don't tell anyone.  you'll ruin my rep.

don't cut yourself short on time.  you never  know what you'll find  ;)
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2010, 07:31:45 pm »
I like the queen catcher because it keeps her in the hive. I've had some leave on me and go right back in the wall void, you don't want this to happen or you'll wind up with a box full of brood comb minus most of the bees which will be bad for the brood (possible chill brood problems. So use a catcher or an excluder.

You don't need a bee vac.

As Kathy mentioned, do the transfer and set the box up at the exterior so the bees can reorient to the new hive.

I usually spray the interior (not the bees) with beequick to force them to reorient to the new hive faster. By nightfall as Kathy mentioned most all should be in the new set up.

Best of luck and have fun!

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2010, 07:54:13 pm »
Good directions above. I will add one thing. Rethink you time line. The one I did Thurs. was 5 hours with 4 people. The one last Sat. was 7 1/2 hours with 6 people. You might want to start about noon or a little after.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*