Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Uncapping Knives  (Read 8195 times)

Offline beek4018

• House Bee
Uncapping Knives
« on: August 30, 2010, 04:31:27 pm »
Looking at various catalogs it seems thatmost uncappping knives are just good offset serted knives.

Is that true, and if so, is there any reason not to use the one I already have in my kitchen?

If I heat it in boiling water and don't run it over the woden frames too much is there any reason why it would tear up my ( okay my wife's) good kitchen knife? 

I guess qhat I'm asking is:
Is it a particularly harsh process on the knife for reasons that aren't clear until you've done it?

If so I'll spring for the $25 uncapping knife, but if not I'll just use my kitchen knife this year and spring for the real deal next year when I have more than one hive.

Thanks.

Offline mathew

• House Bee
Re: Uncapping Knives
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2010, 05:34:09 pm »
You will save lots of time using an electric uncapping knife. I found dipping the knife in hot water agonizing, the uncapping is very slow and you tend to destroy the precious combs. When the  combs get damaged, you can't extract the honey tat well either.

Offline beek4018

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2010, 05:41:56 pm »
Yes, but a $100 knife for one hive.

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2010, 05:45:29 pm »
Hobbyist beekeepers are notorious for spending way too much on every little gadget. You can get by with a $4 capping scratcher just fine.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline WALTC

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2010, 05:49:05 pm »
I agree, $100 for one hive is not worth the money.  I paid the $25 for the unheated knife for this year, and then if my apiary grows, maybe then I'll spring for the electric.

Just buying a two frame extractor and some buckets with gates was enough to limit my net income here. 

But future years promise to be much more profitable. ;)

Offline Hethen57

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2010, 05:51:36 pm »
Dipping a knife in hot water is not very effective.  It works for the first few inches, then the knife cools and it just drags accross the comb...I found that out this weekend.  If you don't go heated, I had much better luck with a capping scratcher...not scratching, but skimming.  Did about 12 supers that way over the weekend (my heated knife is on backorder).  It is by far the most tedious part of the harvest.
-Mike

Offline bailey

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2010, 11:22:39 pm »
i have one i would give away but i wont set you up that way!
get an electric fillet knife, take the blade that has the hole in it on the tip section, add a handle of some sort and uncap away, i have 60 hives and use this type of knife only.
even made a nice deer horn handle for it.  i like the way it looks and it works great.
just make sure you use a constant sawing motion, i dont even dip it in water.
i just wipe it off on the uncaping tank cross bar if it gets a bit gummy.
i know it sounds just too simple but it works faster than the electric uncapper that i have and dont use.

bailey
most often i find my greatest source of stress to be OPS  ( other peoples stupidity )

It is better to keep ones mouth shut and be thought of as a fool than to open ones mouth and in so doing remove all doubt.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2010, 08:29:22 pm »
I am just glad that years ago I "inherited" my electric capping knife.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2010, 10:32:58 pm »
If anyone is going to shell out $100.00 for an uncapping knife they should really consider the uncapping planer for $25.00 more. I have one and highly recommend them.

http://www.maxantindustries.com/uncapping.html

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2010, 10:40:42 pm »
i got a hot knife in a bulk deal.  it was a happy surprise in the bottom of a box  :-D  it's great, especially if you have no grip.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Creamhorses

• New Bee
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2010, 10:46:49 pm »
i have one i would give away but i wont set you up that way!
get an electric fillet knife, take the blade that has the hole in it on the tip section, add a handle of some sort and uncap away, i have 60 hives and use this type of knife only.
even made a nice deer horn handle for it.  i like the way it looks and it works great.
just make sure you use a constant sawing motion, i dont even dip it in water.
i just wipe it off on the uncaping tank cross bar if it gets a bit gummy.
i know it sounds just too simple but it works faster than the electric uncapper that i have and dont use.

bailey

Well this has peaked my interest as I've been using a very sharp large knife and an uncapping fork for clean up,  

Why don't you use the motor on this electric knife?  TIA

Dave  

Offline Irwin

• Super Bee
  • howdy all
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2010, 11:11:23 pm »
Hobbyist beekeepers are notorious for spending way too much on every little gadget. You can get by with a $4 capping scratcher just fine.

Scott
Nail on the head ;)
Fight organized crime!  Re-elect no one.

Offline hankdog1

• Field Bee
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2010, 11:30:17 pm »
Seems to me like i saw them somewhere for 85 bucks without the thermostat.  Walter T. Kelly maybe?  Anyways i inherited mine too with most of my beekeeping stuff.  So can't beat free when it comes to bee stuff just hate that i didn't get back into bees before my grandpa passed away and the stuff was given to me.  We had alot of fun times doing it together when i was smaller.
Take me to the land of milk and honey!!!

Offline skflyfish

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2010, 12:09:36 am »
I bought some Chicago Cutlery close-outs a few years ago for $3.00 each. It is a RB10S for carving roast beef and it works great for uncapping. I use it cold. I would think their serrated bread knife, BT10P would work well also. You can find them cheap on eBay.

Jay

Offline bailey

• Field Bee
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2010, 01:53:28 am »
well, the reason why i dont use the entire electric knife to uncap is that it will burn the knife up after about 3 or 4 frames.  it works really nice till then but it wont last!
i killed 2 top end electric fillet knives doing that! :-X
bailey.
most often i find my greatest source of stress to be OPS  ( other peoples stupidity )

It is better to keep ones mouth shut and be thought of as a fool than to open ones mouth and in so doing remove all doubt.

Offline Creamhorses

• New Bee
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2010, 06:21:47 am »
baily
Thnx
good to know about the burn out.....so the trick to this blade's success is the serraded edge and the sawing motion to cut without crushing the cells.

Does this work well on deep frames as well as med's shalls?  Is the blade long enough?

Dave

Offline tecumseh

• House Bee
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2010, 08:12:43 am »
Bailey writes:
well, the reason why i dont use the entire electric knife to uncap is that it will burn the knife up after about 3 or 4 frames.

tecumseh:
I don't know the brand or manufacturer of the electric uncapping knife you are using, but some have a heat set screw (allen headed screw) in the handle... others were designed to be operated thru a rheostat for making them run hotter or colder.
I am 'the panther that passes in the night'... tecumseh.

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2010, 09:08:35 am »
forget the special knife and stick with the kitchen knife. 

Been using the serrated kitchen knives for 6 years now, 6 hives.  And where as the cheap knife is a little bent, the more expensive one is still working great.   Sure, it tears a little comb occasionally, that has never been a problem.

Especially for just one hive....NOT worth a special knife, electric or not, IMO......

Rick
Rick

Offline Creamhorses

• New Bee
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2010, 09:44:41 am »
I'd like to make the kitchen knife work better, but my experience has been that it takes 3-4 passes with a cleaning inbetween to do this.  And that's just the frames that are drawn out textbook even.  There are lots of frames that vary and don't allow for a clean sweep.

If a serrated knife allows for a one pass uncapping @ last most of the times, I'd leave the smooth knife in the drawer.  It's this uncapping portion of the proccess that is the most time consuming and makes the most mess for me.

Offline bailey

• Field Bee
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2010, 10:29:17 am »
its the serrations that cause this to work. thats why i sais use a constant sawing motion.
my knife will only do mediums and shallows,  i could do a deep but it would be sort of free hand using the top or bottom bar as a guide.

tecumseh ,  i was talking about an electric fillet knife / kitchen knife.  not an electric uncaping knife.

bailey.

Offline Creamhorses

• New Bee
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2010, 10:52:44 am »
Thanks for all the good info about this method.

Not sure what I'll do next year.  Maybe I'll win the lottery and pony up for the popular planer.left handed of course.

Offline Apple Farmer

• New Bee
    • Klee's Out On A Limb Acres
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2010, 07:40:05 pm »
I picked up a serrated Chicago Cutlery bread knife on sale for $12.00. Used a slight sawing motion to uncap both medium and deep frames used a cappings scratcher for anything the knife missed.
The knife didn't damage any comb but the scratcher pulled some loose from the foundation.
Pulled a little better than 1200lbs off 21 hives with no hot water or electricity!

Offline Hethen57

• House Bee
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2010, 08:39:08 pm »
The sawing motion must be the key...I tried the searing motion and it didn't work at all  :?

If you were going hi-tech, JP's planer look hard to beat in his video, I may need to pick one of those up next year instead of a hot knife.
-Mike

Offline Mackayboi

• New Bee
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2013, 09:43:37 pm »
I have recently purchased an electric uncapping knife.
However I may not be using it properly, as it is definitely not as smooth as I expected it to be.
The blade seems to tear into the comb and literally destroy most of the structure.
The blade sits flush along both edges of the frame when using a sawing motion downwards when uncapping.

Is it possible that the blade is too hot, that it actually melts the wax and melts into the comb?

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2013, 06:27:58 am »
disclaimer; No experience with uncapping knives.  8-)

I saw a you tube video where someone used a seriated bread knife instead. It seemed to do the trick.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Moots

« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2013, 10:11:22 am »
It's always good to see a 3 plus year old thread reborn...  :-D

For whatever it's worth, I got the cold knife from Kelley Bees as part of a extracting kit whenever I bought my extractor.  Figured I'd give it a try on my first extraction and see how it went.

I extracted about 260 pounds with it in August and another 69 pounds in October and couldn't have been more pleased with how it performed.  As a solo item, it sells for $17.00  on the Kelley's site...as bailey pointed out, I think the sawing motion is the key with a serrated knife.