Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: How many hive boxes?  (Read 4148 times)

Offline firefly

• New Bee
How many hive boxes?
« on: June 12, 2004, 02:14:03 pm »
Long ago when I kept bees as a hobby I never used more than one hive box. Recently, after getting another hive to start all over again I've been reading about beekeeping on the web. Many in this forum, it seems, are indicating that they believe a strong hive will have to consist of two large hive bodies.

I'd like to know about this because I may need to get another hive body on for my one hive before winter comes. I'm feeding them all the time and they've almost filled out half of the hive body already.

Might they be able to make it through winter well with two large hive bodies and two honey supers?

I don't know how much they'll get around here (Coastal Georgia) in the fall in nectar flow. I know pollen comes in strong with golden rod (I think).

Note: This was modified by me, Firefly, due to my log-in problem at posting time.

TEN

Number of Hive Bodies
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2004, 02:06:23 am »
In Illinois 2 is a must.  One would be okay if you were doing pollination contracts and the such.  But if your going for the honey 2 will perform well.  Three is too large.  With the bees and the number of hive bodies it is a matter of logistics.  More room more bees.  Larger brood chamber more bees produced.

anything