Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Seattle's news is confused!  (Read 5077 times)

Offline Sean Kelly

• Field Bee
  • I Pick; Therefore I Grin
    • Sean's Facebook Page
Seattle's news is confused!
« on: April 14, 2008, 05:16:57 am »
Hey guys!

All the talk about CCD is starting to wear me out.  I get asked every single day if my bees are sick.  I tell them no.  But now even our local news has been cashing in on the fear.  Check out this video:

King 5 News - Seattle, WA - Disease wipes out most of Western Washington's bees

It's funny they say it's a bacteria on this station's report.  Another station reported that it's a fungus that's backing up their digestive tract.  Sounded like Nosema to me, but both stations are being vague.  It's like they're trying to scare the public and not actually reporting real findings.

Is it Nosema?  Is it AFB?  Is id CCD?  Is it DOOMSDAY?

Sean Kelly
"My son,  eat  thou honey,  because it is good;  and the honeycomb,  which is sweet  to thy taste"          - Proverbs 24:13

Offline MrILoveTheAnts

• Field Bee
    • Biodiverse Gardens
Re: Seattle's news is confused!
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2008, 12:21:37 pm »
I haven't actually been keeping up with CCD. So it is some type of bacteria, or microscopic organism?

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2008, 02:22:21 am »
What gets me was the location was in Yakima which is in Eastern Washington.  Accuracy in news must be a thing of the past.  Let's all use scare tactics.   I've also heard of a rumor of CCD in Whatcom County but one of my pigeon club members runs a pollenation service up there and hasn't said a thing about it.

What's the new "Vaccine?"  Aren't many options on what they can legally put in those hives.  To vague to be credible and I wouldn't be surprised to find the quoted beekeeper very put out at the final editing on the report.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline beep

• Brood
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2008, 04:28:27 pm »
sean -

I totally agree with you

Our planet has got an acute case of "paronoia" since the advent of the internet. I dont hink we have to worry about the bees. They have been around longer than we have; and will probabaly be here long after we are gone.

But I agree that weak genes might be playing a part. We have been mass breeding bees for a long time. MAybe its time to let nature do its thing again.

Offline SgtMaj

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2008, 09:30:03 am »
I didn't hear them actually use the term CCD... so is it possible that this could be completely different than CCD, and actually some kind of bacterial infection affecting just those bees in that local area? 

Of course I doubt it... they probably just starved over the winter because someone likely got a little too overzealous in last year's honey harvests...

anything