Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Before I get started  (Read 2333 times)

Offline Primrose

• New Bee
Before I get started
« on: August 20, 2006, 04:23:16 pm »
I'm just getting interested in bees and before I get to involved I was wondering if having a few hives will do damage to the 30 acres of vineyards I live next to?  There used to be a beekeeper that borrowed land from the vineyard owner years ago before the vineyards were there but he was asked to leave because of damage.  I'm not sure how many hives were there or if they were managed properly.  I know very little about it and would love some input before I get to into it.  Thanks, Jen

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Before I get started
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2006, 05:20:31 pm »
ABC XYZ of beekeeping has a lot of information on bees and fruit.  Basically bees will NOT damage fruit.  They WILL take advantage of rotting fruit and sometimes this is misinterpreted as damaging it.  But bees mouth parts are not capable of peircing the skin of fruit.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Mici

• Super Bee
  • tougher than rock
    • http://www.carantha.net/carantha_table_of_contents.htm
Before I get started
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2006, 05:30:15 pm »
in fact, i heard that the not so ignorant vineyard farmers invite beekeepers in fall. they say that when the bee eats from a damaged grape it "spits" out some antibiotics or something. to prevent the grape from rotting. i hope you understand what i'm saying

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
Before I get started
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2006, 11:51:06 pm »
My grape vine had very spotty clusters this year, this is the clusters were very sparse.  The bees will flock to the grape flowers (which are very small) for several days as the flowering period on grapes seems very short.  There is another insect that also attacks the grape flowers at this time as there is a small bulb the becomes the fruit at the base of the flower.  These insects burrow into the grape buds and ruin the fruit.

Uniformed grape growers often blame the bees instead of the real culprit scine both occur at the same time.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline tom

• House Bee
I agree
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2006, 01:32:45 am »
Hello

I agree with Mr. Bray i too had bugs to be in my peaches and apples this year and my bees would not go near then but the hornets did and other bugs but i have never seen bees hurt any fruit.

Tom

Offline Primrose

• New Bee
Before I get started
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2006, 03:01:34 pm »
Very interesting, thanks for all you input.  I'm looking forward to doing some reading on the subject.  Jen

anything