Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Best visibility veil  (Read 7326 times)

Offline RC

• House Bee
Best visibility veil
« on: July 14, 2013, 06:50:33 pm »
I have 3 veils and don't care much for any of them. I have one of those cheap hatless veils, a tulle and a Clear-Vue. Of the 3, I can see thru the tulle the best. The worst is the Clear-Vue. That thing even makes me dizzy sometimes.
What else is out there that you can actually see thru?
I normally don't wear one, but sometimes the bees insist that I do.

Offline Oblio13

• House Bee
    • Philosophizing with a Hammer
Re: Best visibility veil
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2013, 09:53:59 pm »
I haven't found one that I can see well through, either, although dark mesh seems to be better than light mesh. I usually take hi-res photos, and then look at them on my computer.

Offline PeeVee

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2013, 01:06:37 pm »
I replaced a section of veil in the hood of my jacket with some fabric I got at the big box store. The opening in the mesh is a bit larger than the original veil. The fabric is 6" wide on a roll. I'm not sure of the product's original intention. Maybe as a reinforcement under tar for patching a roof?
I sewed (by hand) a section on and then cut out the necessary.
-Paul VanSlyke - Cheers from Deposit,NY

Offline Better.to.Bee.than.not

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2013, 01:32:52 pm »
seems you could sew in a clear plastic flexible sheet too, if careful. I don't have a problem seeing through mine really though.

Offline RC

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2013, 02:36:20 pm »
The problem is not completely with the veil. In the last 6 years my vision went from 20-20 to bifocals.
Looking thru the veil just makes the problem worse.

Moots

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2013, 02:51:03 pm »
The problem is not completely with the veil. In the last 6 years my vision went from 20-20 to bifocals.
Looking thru the veil just makes the problem worse.

RC,
I feel your pain.  :(
Everyone talks about their sight fading at around 40, thought I had cheated the system because I really didn't experience it.  But I'm 48 now and the drop off in the last couple of years has been discouraging, to say the least. 

I also agree, the veil exacerbates the problem.

Offline JPBEEGETTER

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2013, 03:53:12 pm »
I got a small roll of clear plastic from a friend of mine in the auto fabric business. I ask him if he had some convertible rear window material, and he gave me this. now all I need to do is find some one to sew it in the top. I use the mosquito  pull overs and the top zips open to lay back. The material is much thinner than the convertible top material, looking forward to being able to see better...JPP

Offline D Semple

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2013, 05:27:17 pm »
I've been meaning to modify one of those flip down plastic woodworkers safety shields.

I have to use 2.5x reading glasses and I can't see at all trying to look through a vale.

If it weren't for JP's video's I wouldn't even know what a queen looked like.  :oops:

Don

Offline capt44

• Field Bee
  • If it don't work I'll always think it should have
    • RV BEES
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2013, 05:35:10 pm »
I had perfect vision until I was around 43 then I had to use a magnifying glass to read that small print on a pill bottle.
I was a Captain on Towboats for 35 years and finally had to go with no-line bifocals.
I still use them since I've retired.
I'm 63 now and have to wear glasses about all the time.
I just use the square type folding veil and don't have any problems.
I did notice the other day I was looking for a frame of eggs for a trap-out and I couldn't see any, found larva but no eggs.
A few frames later the light changed and low and behold there was an egg in cells, I just didn't see them the first time around.
Richard Vardaman (capt44)

Offline RC

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2013, 05:42:15 pm »
Yeah, I have to get the sunlight just right to see eggs. I'd like to start learning to graft, but I'll probably need the Hubble to do it.
I was a pipe welder for many years and got my eyes burned more times than I can count. I guess between that and my age, it finally caught up with me.

Offline RHBee

• Queen Bee
  • That's my pooch.
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2013, 11:39:01 am »
Wow and I thought I was the only one. :-D What works for me is contacts. I know, I know sticking your finger in your eye isn't all that much fun. The body reacts to eye to something like that. I was really tired of sweat on my glasses and I really sweat. With contacts this isn't an issue. I started with them at age 55. The optometrist told me that at my age it is difficult to get used to putting them in. He was right. You will be surprised what you can do when needed. I use different combinations for different applications.
Later,
Ray

Offline RC

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2013, 10:12:35 pm »
I been thinking about trying contacts. I've bee wearing glasses about 5 years now and dislike them more every day. If there's anything I could get back, it would be my vision. And my knees. And my hair. And my back. Oh, I almost forgot, my memory.

Offline RHBee

• Queen Bee
  • That's my pooch.
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2013, 10:54:22 pm »
I been thinking about trying contacts. I've bee wearing glasses about 5 years now and dislike them more every day. If there's anything I could get back, it would be my vision. And my knees. And my hair. And my back. Oh, I almost forgot, my memory.

LOL..RC I tell my kids "Getting Old Ain't For Sissies".
The contacts do take some getting used to. My work requires me to work in hot and steamy conditions. Glasses leave you blind by fogging up. I got creative with contact powers I taylor how I want to see. Good luck.
Later,
Ray

Offline hiram.ga.bee.man

• New Bee
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2013, 12:06:29 am »
It is so funny reading this post. I am 42, and just got prescribed bifocals today. YIKES! funny thing is you know years ago when my dad was 42, i thought he was SO OLD.
You ever notice that prices are inflating, but wages are deflating?

Offline rwurster

• House Bee
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2013, 03:14:51 am »
Dark mesh is definitely better than lighter mesh.  What works for me is to slowly rotate my head to the left and right as if I were giving a "no" with a head movement, but really slowly.  Sharpens things up drastically enough to see eggs pretty easily.
Zone 5a @ 4700 ft. High Desert
Facebook Link

Offline OldMech

• Queen Bee
    • The Outyard
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2013, 03:13:56 am »
Dark mesh is definitely better than lighter mesh.  What works for me is to slowly rotate my head to the left and right as if I were giving a "no" with a head movement, but really slowly.  Sharpens things up drastically enough to see eggs pretty easily.

Yes.. the movement helps makes the pattern of the mesh vanish. I had lasik done to correct near sightedness.. At about 45, (49 now) i started noticing headaches, and didnt take me long to realize I was straining to focus on things close up.. a new experience for someone who used to take their glasses OFF to read..   Having done a lot of gunsmithing..  I dug through my stuff and found the small clip on magnifying glass I used to use.. it hooks on the frame of glasses, and can be flipped up or down..  put on the reading glasses with the magnifier attached, then the veil.. when looking for eggs, I can flip the lens down.. Makes a BIG difference. I dont even notice the veil when looking through it. You would think it would be worse.
39 Hives and growing.  Havent found the end of the comfort zone yet.