Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Talking with bees  (Read 3451 times)

Offline nadine_9454

• New Bee
Talking with bees
« on: July 06, 2015, 06:12:25 pm »
Does anyone on here talk to their bees, play music for them, put off any kind of intentional sound when working with their bees for the bees? If so, can you give me some details?
Nadine

Online iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: Talking with bees
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2015, 10:49:38 pm »
I say a few choice words to one when she stings me, but otherwise, I stay sorta quiet.  :angry:    :grin:
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline biggraham610

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2015, 12:16:54 am »
I say a few choice words to one when she stings me, but otherwise, I stay sorta quiet.  :angry:    :grin:

:cheesy:

I talk, Im not sure if its to them or myself....... isn't that a sign of something?
Talking down a pissy hive in a dearth does not work. Talking yourself into believing the bees were gentle as lambs during a heavy flow because you were asking them to is easy. Reality, we are always just an intruder letting light in. I think their reception has alot to do with their current responsibilities. Busy= Smooth, Idle= Cranky. G
"The Bees are the Beekeepers"

Offline Maggiesdad

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2015, 08:43:28 am »
I think G is spot on.

If I breathe on them during inspections, they instantly launch and crash into my veil. So, no talking here! 

As an aside, it's interesting the response my body has to them. I got my first sting the other morning, bebopping by the hives to check on them (wearing a black t-shirt) and blammo - right on the neck! Now, if I'm at the hives with no protection and get head butted or hear the high pitched zigzag " you're in our zone - LEAVE NOW" buzz, every hair on my body stands up and I'm covered in goose pimples on my arms, neck and legs.   :sad:  I know they can pick up on the fear response, so I back off,  post haste.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2015, 09:06:40 am »
>Does anyone on here talk to their bees,...

I always talk to them.  Most of the time I talk nice to them... sometimes I swear at them...  The best you can hope for from honey bees is that they ignore you.  They will never love you.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Hops Brewster

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2015, 10:46:19 am »
yeah, sometimes.  Things like "oops", "sorry", "dang it!" or  "ouch, *** that hurt!"
Winter is coming.

I can't say I hate the government, but I am proudly distrustful of them.

Offline flyboy

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2015, 11:13:34 am »
I do occasionally say soft things like explaining that I am going to open the hive etc so they know I am not there to harm them. Hunose if they understand, but I think on some level it prepares me mentally and maybe prepares them. However I am not the "bee whisperer". ;)
Cheers
Al
First packages - 2 queens and bees May 17 2014 - doing well

Offline Hi-Tech

• Field Bee
    • talkhunting.com
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2015, 02:12:44 pm »
Mostly what they hear from me is.. where did I set that dang hive tool?, Crap!, You better move outa the way, girl!, Ohh, you just got squashed, easy, easy,.. Im almost done!...
Computer Tech, Beekeeper, Hunter = Hi-Tech Redneck
talkhunting.com

Offline Eric Bosworth

• Field Bee
  • I love New York... I hate the government.
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2015, 09:48:20 pm »
That sounds very much like what I say...
All political power comes from the barrel of a gun. The communist party must command all the guns; that way, no guns can ever be used to command the party. ---Mao Tse Tung

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. ---Benjamin Franklin

Offline nadine_9454

• New Bee
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2015, 11:02:51 am »
These are all great. I caught myself talking to my bees and believe as well that this is more for my nerves. Maybe it makes me feel a little more in control. Like I can reason with the bees and convey to them I'm not a threat. Hehe. Thank you for the great responses.

P.S. If anyone has a problem with me quoting you in my thesis anonymously, please feel free to tell me.
Nadine

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2015, 12:20:26 pm »
Mostly just "ouch".
And you can quote me.  :cheesy:
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline rwlaw

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2015, 11:19:11 pm »
Calm down, it's your lucky day, I won't split the boxes
I know your PO'd, but your gonna have to put up wid it
I'm so gonna smoke your butts
Seriously, another sting in same spot?
Oh crap!
NOW WHAT!
I will do a full inspection, I will do it, I will do it.
Can't ever say that bk'n ain't a learning experience!

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2015, 05:23:29 pm »
I talk to my goats to calm them down. Most of the time I don't stare straight at them either. This really works. Especially if you are wanting to catch one. We got the predator eyes (in front of our head) and I think it scares them. I also have a distinct call when I want to feed them something. I can take my herd anywhere and bring them back. However I have some that don't care how I act if they think I have some corn. Corn is a goats cocaine.

Talking to bees? Mostly Dang it! Crap!!! Oh shoot! I really enjoy the girls though.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline Eric Bosworth

• Field Bee
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2015, 06:51:46 am »
Lately I have been apologizing for squishing a few. I don't like to wear gloves but after a few stings I put them on.
All political power comes from the barrel of a gun. The communist party must command all the guns; that way, no guns can ever be used to command the party. ---Mao Tse Tung

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. ---Benjamin Franklin

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2015, 01:17:44 pm »
Lately I have been apologizing for squishing a few. I don't like to wear gloves but after a few stings I put them on.
Have you tried smoking up you hands real good? I usually use my bare hands to pack the smoker. I have had bees hit my hands and immediately back away.
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Eric Bosworth

• Field Bee
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2015, 01:26:03 pm »
I'll try that the next time I am working with my bees.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2015, 01:29:27 pm »
I think you will like it. I seldom get stung in the hands and I never wear gloves.

Jim
Ben Franklin

Offline flyboy

• House Bee
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2015, 01:47:45 pm »
Funny thing about getting stung is that when I am relaxed I let them land, walk around and buzz off. If I am tense or in a hurry they seem to sense it and sting. Sometimes I work with shorts and no shirt but now I wear a shirt and sweater and gloves and with one hive I throw on a head cover. That way I can move around a little more quickly.
Cheers
Al
First packages - 2 queens and bees May 17 2014 - doing well

Offline JConnolly

• New Bee
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2015, 02:15:44 pm »
Bees don't have ears.  They can sense vibration, and through flagellum (small hair like structures) at the base of their antenna they can sense some air born vibrations (sound waves).  However the flagellum don't pick up frequencies below 260 hz very well.  So they are deaf to the voice of a male human, but if you are a female soprano and you sing to them instead, I suppose that they might sense your really high notes.   How a bee brain interprets the sensed vibrations is not well understood, but they don't hear sound like mammals hear sound.

This of course completely disregards any self therapeutic effects that may come from talking to your bees.  Or in other words, talking to your bees does them absolutely no good or bad at all, but it might do you some good.

As for me, I mutter to myself.  And I am no better at listening than the bees are.   :cool:
« Last Edit: July 16, 2015, 04:49:56 pm by JConnolly »

Offline Candiebears

• House Bee
    • Candiebees
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2015, 03:56:16 pm »
I do. And today i had to raise my voice and tell them to knock it the hell off... didn't help.. they ended up chasing me  away a couple times...
Bee patient with me... I just started this March of 2015..

You can follow my excursions on... www.candiebees.com

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2015, 10:24:15 pm »
They shore hear it when you pop a top off. :angry:
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline biggraham610

• Field Bee
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2015, 01:50:31 am »
 :grin:
Drying up is it........... lol. Times they are a changin here too. G
"The Bees are the Beekeepers"

anything