Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hive inspection concern  (Read 1643 times)

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
Hive inspection concern
« on: October 23, 2013, 08:42:40 am »
History: 3 lb package Jun 7th. New beek, central Alabama, (8 mi north of Slapout, Al)

I have 2 eight frame deeps and one medium. All on foundation. The two deeps are drawn out but the medium is about 1/3 to 1/2. One deep probably weighs 70 lbs, the other 50. The medium probably less than 15. I saw about 2 or 3 frames of brood, capped and larva. No visual on the queen. What concerns me is I saw almost every drawn out cell occupied with pollen, honey, or brood. We probably have at least 45 days before the lockdown (cluster) starts. Is there anything I should be concerned about with this description?  I had been feeding hoping to help them draw out the medium on top but I've stopped. I intend to use these for brood adding supers later during a flow. I started another mite count yesterday. thanks all
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: Hive inspection concern
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2013, 08:57:07 am »
Is it capped honey, or still liquid? If mostly liquid, I wouldn't worry. Four cells of nectar will go into one cell when capped. They still have time to make cluster space.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2013, 08:29:00 pm »
It's both. Probably more nectar than capped but still a lot of capped.

A couple of other things I remember on the way to work this morning, wall to wall bees, thick. Also drone cells present. No Q cells of any kind. And better yet - 0 SHBs.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2013, 08:33:16 pm »
Sounds like you are ready for winter.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2013, 08:52:23 pm »
Of course this is all new to me but I was really surprised how heavy an eight frame deep is when it's packed.

Offline merince

• House Bee
    • Maria's Bees
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2013, 09:17:49 pm »
Sounds like they are doing fine. A deep frame weighs around 7 lbs. when full, so they do tend to get heavy  :-D

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2013, 11:15:24 pm »
gary, unless we have an unusual winter there won't be too many days where the bees don't break cluster between now and new years.  by then you'll be looking at whether you need to feed them or not.  everything sounds good to me.

anything