Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hive too large, too difficult to remove  (Read 2300 times)

Offline mtbe

• House Bee
Hive too large, too difficult to remove
« on: March 22, 2010, 12:13:05 pm »
Recently called the local pest control companies for any honey bee calls.

Just received the first one.

A couple with small children have a tree in their front yard, in the country.  The tree is hollow and FULL of bees.  They said it's been full for at least 5 years since they've had the house, and in summer, you could hear the buzz and feel the tree humming. He did spray pesticide inside the tree about 3 years ago.

The tree is at least 2' diameter.  He filled a bottom entrance, near ground.  He also put screen over another opening, and sprayed great stuff in another hole last year, both in holes about 7' high.  They just ate through the great stuff and some other animal tore out the screen.  There is still another opening that I could see at about 10' high.

The tree was still alive, or at least last year it had leaves.  The openings/entrances were only about 5" diameter.

They do want to cut the tree down, because it is leaning right over their well.  But, the cost to hire someone (especially with the bees inside) is beyond their reach. 

I felt bad I couldn't do anything for them (and get free bees too).

Even with a trap, a hive of that size will be difficult to get and keep out. Maybe cement in the holes?

Do any of you have any other suggestions?

Offline Vibe

• House Bee
Re: Hive too large, too difficult to remove
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2010, 12:29:44 pm »
I'm not sure what range "beyond their reach" is. But, I've had to take down several large trees that were leaning over houses - Rent a Genie Boom or similar bucket lift. Trim the limbs away, in manageable sizes, tied to the bucket. It really doesn't take long to whittle a large tree down to a manageable size that way. I think a 45' lift rented for less than $500 a day - and it shouldn't take that long. But if you rent it for just Friday, you get the use of it on the weekend for just fuel I think. And until you start taking the trunk down, the bees probably won't really even care. Dropping the trunk will probably get them riled a bit, so everyone in the area will need to be suited up or cleared out. Or you could  then just cut into the cavity and remove them before felling the trunk.

Just my opinion on how I would go about it.
The opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject.
- Marcus Aurelius -

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2010, 12:47:30 pm »
do a search in this section.  there are a number of tree removals posted as i recall.  you don't even need to do the removal there.  you just need to get the section with the bees and get it home.  you can work on getting them out later.  

try not to drop the trunk!

i could be wrong, but i think iddee posted one about chopping a trunk open to get the hive.......there are pics.  the tree was down.

btw....i have one that i may do if the folks call me back.  the tree cutter guy said he'd cut the tree down if i came the night before and screened all the openings.  you may be able to find someone to work with you if you can close it up.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline RayMarler

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2010, 02:16:11 pm »
I bet you could do a trap out.
Seal all the openings except the lowest.
Make your wire escape cone for it.
Put a 2 full hive boxes on their own stands at the opening
with a frame of eggs and a frame of nectar in each.
Change out the hive boxes once a day if needed with another with eggs and nectar.
After 6 to 9 weeks, remove the cone and let the tree honey get robbed out.
Throw some old comb with wax moth larva in the opening.
More permanently seal the openings in the tree.
Might work, I'd love to give it a try if it were me, would be fun,
and no hurt in trying!

Offline D Coates

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2010, 06:40:05 pm »
That's exactly what I did when the customer said they didn't want to destroy the tree.  I was in and out in 8 weeks and had a new colony and got paid for some easy work.  Iddee has some great information this, search trap out and you'll be quickly educated.
Ninja, is not in the dictionary.  Well played Ninja's, well played...