Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Manageing another's apiary  (Read 1733 times)

Offline PeeVee

• House Bee
Manageing another's apiary
« on: December 13, 2012, 10:04:49 am »
A neighbor a couple miles away (over a couple hills and into another valley) has started an orchard. Apples (some 1400 trees) and soon a variety of berries with the goal of a "you pick" business. I spoke with him about the possibility of colonies moved there for pollination. As we spoke it seemed that he would be more interested in having his own bees. He does not live there full time and the caretaker has no interest in bees.

I have had thoughts of asking him if he would like me to set up an apiary on his property and manage that portion of his business. My question is how much to charge for that involvement. I really don't need another hobby.

I don't want to start controversy here so feel free to contact me directly.
-Paul VanSlyke - Cheers from Deposit,NY

Offline tefer2

• Super Bee
Re: Manageing another's apiary
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2012, 10:46:21 am »
Don't want to start a controversy. Oh come on, we need something to talk about in here. I charged $60 a hive to move my bees to apples last year. Whats your plan for when they spray? What you gonna do if you have them there permanently to avoid killing them off?
If tending his bees, how often you work them and what's your time worth?

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2012, 11:07:30 am »
I would charge all expenses plus an hourly rate to care for his bees.

I would charge going rate for pollination if caring for my bees on his farm.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline tefer2

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2012, 11:10:32 am »
 I had an opportunity to manage some hives for a farmer in the past. Keep in mind that when something goes wrong, it's always your fault! :-D Better off renting him your hives. Then get the @#$% out of there when they spray.

Offline PeeVee

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2012, 12:23:40 pm »
I had spoke to him briefly about spraying. That was a big concern on my part. I plan on meeting with him soon to have further discussion. Especially if he wants the colonies to be his as a permanent installation.

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2012, 12:29:52 pm »
I have never found some type greement taking care of someone elses bees to turn out a good thing.

He should become a beekeeper, or pay you (with a contract) to provide pollination services.

Scan down this page to the article for September 2010. It might give you something to think about.

http://www.bjornapiaries.com/beekramblings200910.html

But keep us informed and updated. These type situations are always good for a great story.  :-D

www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

Offline PeeVee

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2012, 12:42:08 pm »
 - But keep us informed and updated. These type situations are always good for a great story.  grin -

Thanks for the link.

Yeah, I'll let you know how the pre planning goes...