Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Sharing honey between hives  (Read 3062 times)

Offline mtbe

• House Bee
Sharing honey between hives
« on: October 01, 2009, 09:31:48 pm »
I have three TB Hives.  One is doing great.  Lots of honey stores, about 7 - 8 bars full of honey, about 8-9 full of brood and a bit-o-honey.

The other two maybe have one bar full of honey each, and 9-11 bars of brood a a bit-o-honey.

I was planning on leaving the honey for the bees over winter, and not feed them.  But, looks like I might have to feed.

But..., can I take 4 bars from the first hive, and put 2 bars in each of the other? 

Would that be enough for the winter?  Hive dimensions are 14" across top, 8" across bottom, 1.5" wide bar.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: Sharing honey between hives
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2009, 09:34:37 pm »
Yes you will need to feed them.  Even if you steal some honey, that's not really enough for all three hives.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline mtbe

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2009, 02:32:08 pm »
Okay, feeding two hives...

Are the 7-8 bars FULL of honey able to winter the one hive, or will I need to feed them also?

Yes, I know I have to be sure they are at one end of the hive at the beginning of the winter season.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2009, 08:13:39 pm »
For every comb covered with bees you should have two of capped honey to feed them.  Well, that's here.  I don't know about there, but I'd guess it's about the same.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline mtbe

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2009, 10:30:30 am »
Wow.  That's a lot of honey to keep in the hive.  It is so tempting to take it and feed candy over the winter.

I will resist since I have already made candy board to fit in the hives.

Thanks for the advice!!!

anything