Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: any of you have luck putting out baited swarm traps?  (Read 3338 times)

Offline adamant

• House Bee
any of you have luck putting out baited swarm traps?
« on: December 12, 2011, 06:14:06 pm »
kinda think it would be a cool thing to try next season to get free bees.. where i am in the southern part of NJ i am surrounded by agriculture and all those farms are being commercially pollinated and i am sure i would catch a few when those hives go to swarm..
for those who have done this can you provide me with any pointers?
i made up a bunch of nucs this season to use as traps..
thanks
ant

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
Re: any of you have luck putting out baited swarm traps?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2011, 06:16:34 pm »
Old comb, maybe some slum gum, and lemongrass oil.   Spread them out everywhere.    Hang them 10 foot up more or less.    More out, better odds.

Offline CapnChkn

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2011, 03:57:35 am »
Make sure the bait hive is set at least 300 ft. (100M) from any existing hive.  I set one 50 ft. (15M) from my existing hives only to be fooled into watching the bees go in and out, acting like a swarm, without catching anything for two weeks.

A few drops of LGO on a cotton ball and placed in a sealed zip plastic bag will allow the scent to permeate through the pores in the plastic.  Put it near the entrance.  Refresh the scent every few weeks.

Bright colors only invite trouble.  Not that the bees care; kids or other nosey's could mess with them.  I paint mine in Woodland Camo.

Primarily swarms are looking for a dry place.  Size is also a factor, but building a bait hive to 2500^3 in. (40 liters) makes for a big cumbersome trap.  When you're carrying it through the trees, it makes me tired.

FRAMES.  Nuff sed.
"Thinking is like sin, them that doesn't is scairt of it, and them that does gets to liking it so much they can't quit!"  -Josh Billings.

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2011, 09:30:37 am »
We have details some pointers on this page:
http://www.bjornapiaries.com/equipmentmanagement.html

Hope this helps.
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

Offline T Beek

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2011, 12:04:55 pm »
In my 'limited' experience an empty hive has worked better.  Peviously used is best if no disease is presentIMO. 

In my own case, a couple mediums w/frames full of empty comb and empty frames.  My traps are always investigated by bees but only one has ever attracted a swarm in 7 seasons, while I can usually catch one in an empty hive about once every season, sometimes more. 

That all said, I usually collect the majority of swarms from trees.

thomas
"Trust those who seek the truth, doubt those who say they've found it."

Offline sterling

• Queen Bee
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2011, 02:18:33 pm »
Caught one swarm in a swarm trap, a double five frame nuc. I had top bars in the nuc along with burr comb with lemongrass oil worked into it. Had four set out in deer stands. Felt like one out of four wasn't bad for feral bees. No known beekeepers within miles.

Offline bud1

• Heavenlyl Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2011, 07:05:07 pm »
allan got it covered; go simple, just chunk a rope over a limb and pull it up. i catch plenty swarms and most in and empty box with a coupla drops o lemon grass and some slum gum if i feel energetic    distance might matter, but have hung a box on limb of tree that bees were in and caught, but i agree little more is better. look at bud 3 videos and see what one of my bait hives look like and a few swarms
to bee or not to bee

Offline CapnChkn

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2011, 11:05:15 pm »
Bud1, I can't find the Bud 3 videos.  I did find one taken by JP.
"Thinking is like sin, them that doesn't is scairt of it, and them that does gets to liking it so much they can't quit!"  -Josh Billings.

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2011, 05:49:59 am »
allan got it covered; go simple, just chunk a rope over a limb and pull it up. i catch plenty swarms and most in and empty box with a coupla drops o lemon grass and some slum gum if i feel energetic    distance might matter, but have hung a box on limb of tree that bees were in and caught, but i agree little more is better. look at bud 3 videos and see what one of my bait hives look like and a few swarms

What exactly is slum gum?
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline bud1

• Heavenlyl Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2011, 07:37:12 pm »
slumgum is the blank gunk left over in your wax melter. beemaster (mr john) has several on his page, ans scot(hardwood. ) has several
will get jp to post where they all are
to bee or not to bee

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2011, 09:18:42 pm »
There used to be a sticky of all the Bud3 videos didn't there?
Under the first childs board there are threads under conferences and gatherings.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2011, 08:46:43 pm »
Here the one I think everybodys looking for.
Me, Bud & Schawee Remove Bees From A Fig Tree - Mobile.m4v

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

anything