Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Sulphur for storing suppers?  (Read 3052 times)

Offline dprater

• House Bee
Sulphur for storing suppers?
« on: August 24, 2013, 05:34:36 pm »
First year for storing suppers with cone from honey harvest and hives I have lost this year. I froze all of the frames for 48 hrs. after they were clean and stacked them with screen wire on the bottom and made a cover with screen wire for the top. Painters tape on all cracks.

I hope this will give some ventilation. My 80 year old mentor said he use to burn sulphur under his suppers and the close them up and that keep the wax moths out.

Is this Ok, I know lots has changed in the years sence he kelp bees?

dan

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: Sulphur for storing suppers?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2013, 06:17:07 pm »
Sulfur smoke will kill wax moth larvae, eggs and adults (and bees if there were any in the supers).  It will clear out in the spring.  I don't know how safe it is to humans or how legal it is now.  You don't want to be breathing it... it will clear out well when you air them out, though.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline OldMech

• Queen Bee
    • The Outyard
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2013, 02:22:50 am »

I read about the Dadant system of beekeeping, and one of the things mentioned in the old book was burning "brimstone" in an enclosed room full of supers. So would imagine it has some merit.
39 Hives and growing.  Havent found the end of the comfort zone yet.

Offline dprater

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2013, 07:50:05 am »
Thanks for the info. He said beekeeper that had lots of hives would put all the supers in a shed or barn close it up and burn ponds of sulphur to keep the moths out. No V-mites and no SHB back in the day.
I'm very lucky to have such a wonderful mentor. He lives by himself and I visit him once or twice a week, we talk bees and life, I love him dearly.

dan

Offline Wolfer

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2013, 09:19:41 am »
Sulfur is really hard to get now for me. I used to buy it in the bulk to use against ticks. It has many uses.
Some pharmacy's may order some, mine wouldn't.

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2013, 09:27:38 am »
I always heard snakes would no cross it. Old timers in rattlesnake area used to use it but I guess I am getting  :stayontopic:
John 3:16

Offline forrestcav

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2013, 01:39:36 am »
Dad said that was a spring ritual when he was a kid. A spoon full of sulphur in the spring to kill worms. He's 70 now and going strong.
Just a beek trying to get ready for winter.

Offline Wolfer

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2013, 12:20:57 am »
While logging on a big cattle ranch one summer the ticks would carry us off. When I got home the first day I stripped off in the yard and BHC my clothes. My wife picked 150 ticks off me and ticks don't like me very well.
One of the old cowboys that worked there had told me to pick up some sulfur. I bought 10 lbs on the way home.
The next morning we all got us a lump about the size of an aspirin and washed it down. It doesn't taste quite as bad as it smells but close. I got home that night and had two ticks on me. Worked great, I took a dose every day and had no more ticks.

One bad side effect- women will shun you just like the ticks!

Offline OldMech

• Queen Bee
    • The Outyard
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2013, 01:07:25 am »

Argh! Dont tell my wife! Shed try eating a pint each morning to keep ME away! Besides, that woman doesn't need anything else flammable going through her!!!!
39 Hives and growing.  Havent found the end of the comfort zone yet.

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2013, 09:32:49 am »

How does it work on mother-in-laws?
John 3:16