Welcome, Guest

Poll

For those of you who have an observation hive, what do you prefer to put in the sides?

Glass
2 (33.3%)
Tempered Glass
0 (0%)
Safety (Auto) Glass
1 (16.7%)
Plexiglass
2 (33.3%)
Lexan
1 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: Observation Hive - Glass or Plexiglass?  (Read 12038 times)

Offline mjdtexan

• House Bee
  • BBQ MASTER
Re: Observation Hive - Glass or Plexiglass?
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2010, 05:13:33 pm »
Your welcome. I am enjoying your woodworking thread. I did not feel excluded, I figured you needed experienced voices and I do not qualify. I had sent a deposit on bees last spring but got detained (literally) for a while and I can not remember the guys username or phone number to see if we can do it next spring. Totally my fault. Soooo, I am going to get bees from someone this fall for spring delivery. I got myself a shop full of woodworking tools now including a nice Leigh dovetail jig. I've been building and selling garden benches. When I go to the lumber mill this weekend I am going to buy enough wood to build a few hives and just buy the comb frames outright. Anyway, sorry for the hijack and I look forward to the rest of your build.
Wine Maker
Gardener
BBQ Competition Enthusiast
Interested in Hot Peppers
Texas Apiary Inspection Service

Offline specialkayme

• Field Bee
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2010, 05:41:35 pm »
No worries. Glad you like the threads.

Building your own equipment is the best way to get a hands on full appreciation for the hobby.

Offline phill

• House Bee
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2010, 07:03:27 pm »
Based on the huge price difference-- at least in the quotes I've been given-- I'm still leaning toward plexi over laminated. If the plexi gets badly scratched, you can replace it a couple of times and still not spend what you'd spend on laminated.

I admit I haven't done it yet-- just planning my OH project-- so with experience might think differently.

Offline specialkayme

• Field Bee
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2010, 07:11:50 pm »
Check a few other shops. I got one quote at $48 a sheet, and another at $30. I would never go with $48, but $30 was doable, considering it was less than 3 plexis. I've gone through two plexis on one OH easily.

Others may vary, but this is how I view it. An observation hive is built for one thing, and one thing only: to observe bees, i.e. to watch them. I can't watch them if they build wax on the glass. I can't watch them if it's scratched up.

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2010, 10:24:07 pm »
>Based on the huge price difference-- at least in the quotes I've been given-- I'm still leaning toward plexi over laminated. If the plexi gets badly scratched, you can replace it a couple of times and still not spend what you'd spend on laminated.

My thinking exactly...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything