Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Australian Whiting, the finest fish in the sea!  (Read 4640 times)

Offline mick

• Queen Bee
Australian Whiting, the finest fish in the sea!
« on: February 23, 2007, 10:57:27 pm »
This time yesterday these were swimming, 2 min, a sharp knife and ready for the pan! If you want fish fillets, make sure you have a SHARP knife.

I find a piece of cardboard is an easier option than a cutting board.

Offline buzzbeejr

• Josh
  • Field Bee
Re: Australian Whiting, the finest fish in the sea!
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2007, 11:11:47 pm »
Mick i am not very fond of fish but if i was it would look very tasty. Great catch.
MMMMMMMMM!!!!!! Doughnuts.- Homer Simpson

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2007, 11:33:36 pm »
add a little rice and we are good to go.
Very Nice Mick!

I assume there is beer to wash it down?

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline mick

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2007, 11:44:09 pm »
I love to dust them in flour, fry in a little oil and butter. Few fries, some tomato, bit of lettuce for crucnh ann mmmmmmmmmmmmmm loverly.

A nice cold beer to wash it all down sounds good to me.

Offline abejaruco

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2007, 10:29:24 pm »
Um, the Australian whithing is not very different to the Spanish one (and we live at the antipodes), here called "bacaladilla", when fresh it is really a sea wave in the palate. I love the fish...   and the meat....and the rice... and...   talk you later!!!!!!!!!!

Offline buzzbeejr

• Josh
  • Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2007, 10:31:00 pm »
nice going guys you made abajeruco hungry. :)
MMMMMMMMM!!!!!! Doughnuts.- Homer Simpson

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2007, 12:13:23 am »
mick....what will the whales eat??

sorry....i just couldn't help myself......i'll go timeout myself in the corner....... ;)
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline mick

• Queen Bee
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2007, 04:24:34 am »
ROFL sardines!

Besides I did not fire arrows into them with firecrackers attached.

I lured them to me with berley then scooped them up in a net and broke their spines before they knew what happened.

Well ok, I caught em with a hook, but I did break their spines and they were dead within 5 seconds of beoing out of the water.

Tasted yummy BTW!

No go have some macrobiotic yoghurt and tofu!

Offline Mici

• Super Bee
  • tougher than rock
    • http://www.carantha.net/carantha_table_of_contents.htm
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2007, 09:46:13 am »
FIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSH!!!!!!
mick, you...you.... send me some or something!!!!!
hehe, less than an hour ago i ate a trout, darn fish are the best thing there is!!! when i grow older, i'm gonna move to the seaside!!! unfortunatelly only...50 more years.. :oops:
hey mick, what about fresh water fish, you like 'em? what you say about this for a catch, caught them by hand :-D

a few small trouts, luces, bleak and my favourite carp! many say carps are no good, that they are greasy and they smell...depends on the preperation. the best receipe is: skin them, gut them, cut off the bones, make fillets any fry them in pork grease! without marinade or anything, the cleanest fish flavour!
beer? what beer? oh dear, you forgot the holy fish sacrament! fish must swim 3 times, in water, in oil and in wine!

Offline mick

• Queen Bee
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2007, 03:08:52 am »
Great post Mici. Love the 3 times tenet!

We have Europen Carp here, a real pest, they have ruined our waterways and eaten all the native fish. Some Europeans eat them, they taste like mud to me. Our rivers and streams have a different base to yours and cannot cope with the carp.

Only way to make them edible here is to fillet and skin them, perferably after you have let them swim in the bath tub for a few days to purge some mud. Then place fillets on ice. Ice draws out some of the bad taste. All to much hard work for me. Id rather eat dog food!

99.9% of carp here is turned into "charlie carp" fertiliser for the garden.

For native fresh water fish we have Murray Cod, Yellowbelly, perch, Bass, and of course introduced Redfin and rainvow and Brown Trout, al taste like rubbish to me.

You can tickle trout here, you feel under the ledge of small streams, tickle along going up stream, feel the trout tickel it along the body till you feel the gills, then jab your fingers in and throw them onto the bank.

Fish in Pork fat, now thats enough to make me chunder!