Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: The barn build, complete and a happy horse  (Read 2478 times)

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
The barn build, complete and a happy horse
« on: October 11, 2008, 12:36:52 pm »
Wow, what started out to be a small job, ended up being a big job.  The horse needed a boxstall to go when the weather is bad, we have lots of rain, important to keep warm at night.  My Husband took on this task, with the cement floor to start and then the build began.  He was going to make the boxstall with a pointed roof, no other way to describe it.  But when he assembled the frame, the 9 foot timber looked rather tall, for the dimension of the structure.  There was going to be a peaked roof on it, that would have made it about 18 feet tall I imagine, when all was said and done. Too tall, too ugly and probably would have blown over.  So he left the tall end at 9 feet and reduced the other end to 7 feet, that was much better.  That is the dimensions of the other horse boxstalls that have now become my bee house, my turkey house and my chicken house.  Good dimensions.  The boxstalls are all about 10X12, so that makes a good size structure.  These are pictures of the process, the horse is happy, my Daughter is happy.  She even helped her Daddy out after she had worked her day at her day job.  One day she finished earlier and was able to help him even more, that made his day....his little girl, now big...helping out with little finishing touches.  Enjoy the pics, and best of all, enjoy this day!!  Cindi

Taking a breather, I think that he put about 30 wheelbarrow loads of cement he mixed into the foundation.  It is pretty deep, I venture at least 8 inches.  What a guy!!

Everyone was curious about this new structure that invaded their yard!!!

My Daughter wondering what to do next

Adding the tar paper to go beneath the walls

Adding the roof to the storage part of the boxstall

Ta da!!!  Done, and the proud Father has done it again!!!  This love of my life.  Have that most wonderful day, love our lives, we all live and share.  Cindi

There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline EasternShore

• House Bee
  • Tending 50K angry insects is just .........crazy!
    • OMG Apiary
Re: The barn build, complete and a happy horse
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2008, 07:06:09 am »
WOW..great job!!! Being a builder I'm impressed! He did a super job. Now all ya need is the automatic stall cleaner!
Anything worth doing is worth doing well.
We are the keepers, it is our duty to preserve life.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2008, 09:59:29 am »
Easternshore.  Thank you for the kinds words.  My Husband has learned throughout his life to build well.  All self-taught, a little help from his Dad and my Dad when they were around.  They taught him the backbone of carpentry work.  Ken has built so many outbuildings, house renovations, it would make ya' head swim.  Great guy, yes, I am always impressed by him too.

About the automatic stall cleaner.  We have one, hee, hee, that is my Daughter  :lol: 8-) ;) :) :) :).  She does a great job, have that most wonderful and awesomely great day and life, great health.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline EasternShore

• House Bee
  • Tending 50K angry insects is just .........crazy!
    • OMG Apiary
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2008, 09:56:47 am »
Does she travel?

I've got a macaw cage that is due for cleaning today...and it's raining...yuck.
Anything worth doing is worth doing well.
We are the keepers, it is our duty to preserve life.

anything