Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hello from Plano, TX  (Read 2386 times)

Offline Keithmon

• Keith
  • Brood
Hello from Plano, TX
« on: November 11, 2006, 12:49:19 am »
Hello,

My name is Keith Monschke and I live in Plano, TX.  I have been reading up on and interested in Bee Keeping for about 6 years now but have never actually owned or maintained a hive.  I just recently moved to Texas from Missouri.  Now that I am here, my family owns about 120 acres of farm land in Krum, TX.  I have already gotten permission to place a hive there.  I plan on putting the hive together and placing it on the property in about January.  I then plan on buying a 3# package for the hive and installing them around April, 1.  Anyone else local... I would love to here from you.  Talk with you later,

Keith

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
Re: Hello from Plano, TX
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2006, 01:18:02 am »
Hi Keith:

Glad that you took the time to join our group, it surely will be a place that you will find great knowledge in the coming months as you enter into your first season of beekeeping.

I know a lot of people who would drool over 120 acres, heck I'd be happy with one - I live on a 50' x 105' lot in the middle of my small town of Lakehurst. Two hives is really all I have room for unless I lined my back fence, but I enjoy the opertunity to bring this forum and my website to so many people.

Enjoy the forums and glad to have you with us!!!
NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2006, 06:49:55 am »
Welcome Keith. I am a newbee this year as I started bees with my son.We have learned a lot from this sight and had many questions answered here. We use the voice chat feature and have made new friendships with other members of the forum as well. Have a great day and relax and enjoy your beekeeeping experience!!

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2006, 09:22:51 am »
2 hives would be a much better start.  4 would be about perfect for a beginner.  4 hives would give you the chance to see how they compare but most importantly, at least 2 gives you resources to work with when a hive is in trouble.  Specifically, open brood is the most useful resource when one hive seems to be queenless.  Many solutions to common problems involve taking something from another hive.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin